A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Princess Leia

Okay, I was only going to post the top 10 domestic movies, but then I saw that Disney had 14/25 of the slots taken and had to screenshot the top 25:
134C7C8C-8841-40FA-B5B4-D7ECED331783.jpeg

Anyways, my point is that by tomorrow, Disney will have filled 3 of the spots for the top 5 domestic films. And that is a tiny bit insane.

That being said, I am very curious to see how Avengers 4 will compare. The remake of Aladdin is scheduled to come out 3 weeks after A4, and just like Solo coming out so soon after IW, I think Disney is shooting themselves in the foot. At least when Lion King comes out next July, it will have some distance between A4 and Aladdin.

Also, I just realized how I am not excited at all for either Aladdin or Lion King. Those are two of my favorite Disney films, and while Jungle Book was great, Beauty and the Beast turned me off the concept of rebooting animated films.

smile

Okay, I was only going to post the top 10 domestic movies, but then I saw that Disney had 14/25 of the slots taken and had to screenshot the top 25:
View attachment 288769
Anyways, my point is that by tomorrow, Disney will have filled 3 of the spots for the top 5 domestic films. And that is a tiny bit insane.

That being said, I am very curious to see how Avengers 4 will compare. The remake of Aladdin is scheduled to come out 3 weeks after A4, and just like Solo coming out so soon after IW, I think Disney is shooting themselves in the foot. At least when Lion King comes out next July, it will have some distance between A4 and Aladdin.

Also, I just realized how I am not excited at all for either Aladdin or Lion King. Those are two of my favorite Disney films, and while Jungle Book was great, Beauty and the Beast turned me off the concept of rebooting animated films.

and yet, as food for thought and in reference to your observations, allow me to pepper in the below numbers, which are the reported net incomes in billions for 2016 and 2017, respectively, and grouped by division:
  • studio entertainment -2.7; rec hi/2.3
  • parks and resorts - 3.2/3.7; both rec hi
  • media networks - 7.7/6.9

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, then - please, you must tell us how you feel about the Fox merger. Your unbiased opinion, of course.

Do you want to know my opinion, which by definition is biased, or are you just trolling because it's summer and you're bored and Iger's veneer of perfection is wearing about as badly as a WDW monorail or Tom Amity 'I finally visited a few international parks and now see what the lucky people who have been saying is true' Sourceless' ability to accurately report things without verifying them first (to be totally fair to him, this was an underling, but ultimately, responsibility starts at the top)? I'll be happy to discuss this ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
John Lasseter to leave Disney and Pixar by the end of this year.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/business/media/john-lasseter-leaves-disney.html

No, John left the day he was fired over six months ago. He has no office. He will not consult. He will not do anything without legal and/or financial repercussions for him. It's all over for him due to his own ego and demons. It is a shame. ... Did you see him at the Toy Story Land opening in Shanghai? How about the Pixar Fest in Anaheim? The Incredibles 2 premiere? Do you think the consultant will be at the Grand Opening of Toy Story Kiddie Land at WDW later this month?

WDW1974

Original Poster
This information is fairly well known. You could have gotten that information here weeks ago.

I haven't been here, Peter. And I have no idea how well known it is or isn't. People can take it or not. Just like they can extrapolate what it may mean (prices too high, offerings unimpressive, people delaying until Star Wars etc etc.) On the swamps front, I can't confirm it as of yet, but I strongly suspect a summer food and wine festival will debut in 2019 at EPCOT since we now have three seasons of them. I am reasonably sure I am not the first person to state that either!

MerlinTheGoat

Welcome back Spirit, hope you're well!

I don't need to know whether the Fox acquisition would be "good" in the grand scheme of the country itself and businesses (i'm not a fan of huge corporate monopolies at the best of times). Perhaps a good business move for Disney, but yeah hardly in line with the sort of fake politically correct leftist facade Iger tries to sell to the public.

Though I would like to know your opinion on whether you think Disney or Comcast is more likely to get the deal. If you have one that is, and are willing to share.

I haven't been here, Peter. And I have no idea how well known it is or isn't. People can take it or not. Just like they can extrapolate what it may mean (prices too high, offerings unimpressive, people delaying until Star Wars etc etc.) On the swamps front, I can't confirm it as of yet, but I strongly suspect a summer food and wine festival will debut in 2019 at EPCOT since we now have three seasons of them. I am reasonably sure I am not the first person to state that either!
Disney sent out emails to passholders stating they were lifting the usual blockout dates for lower level passes until the end of June. There was a topic about it here, though it was only the end of last week when this was information was posted (not several weeks ago). I assume attendance has to be troubling Disney whenever they provide this sort of benefit to passholders and locals these days-
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/passholder-benefits-shifting.943980/

Last edited:

bclane

I don’t know what the root problem is, but I can tell you it isn’t because everyone is over at Universal. Crowds have been unusually light over there too (at least the last few times i’ve gone). Maybe they’ve raised prices too fast and finally hit a wall? Maybe a lot of people are waiting for SWGE before they come back to Orlando? To many screen rides? Everyone has their theories, but really, who knows.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Welcome back Spirit, hope you're well!

I don't need to know whether the Fox acquisition would be "good" in the grand scheme of the country itself and businesses (i'm not a fan of huge corporate monopolies at the best of times). Perhaps a good business move for Disney, but yeah hardly in line with the sort of fake politically correct leftist facade Iger tries to sell to the public.

Though I would like to know your opinion on whether you think Disney or Comcast is more likely to get the deal. If you have one that is, and are willing to share.

Disney sent out emails to passholders stating they were lifting the usual blockout dates for lower level passes until the end of June. There was a topic about it here, though it was only the end of last week when this was information was posted (not several weeks ago). I assume attendance has to be troubling Disney whenever they provide this sort of benefit to passholders and locals these days-
https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/passholder-benefits-shifting.943980/

Quite well. Thanks! Hope you are as well.

My educated opinion is that right now Disney has a very slight edge over Comcast in acquiring Fox's assets.

Yes, I received that email as well. They are not doing anything out of the goodness in their hearts because they don't have hearts. And they aren't doing this to reward loyalty to APers as they have shown for decades, in FL at least, that they don't care about them at all.
But I can't think of more of a hellish experience than visiting EPCOT and DHS now and attempting to find things to do.

brb1006

The Disney film facts guy on twitter said Lasseter's Pixar animation contacts said that Pixar is in chaos right now. And that TS4 is in really bad shape. But that WDAS was coping fine.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Confirming this, at least as far as my contacts are seeing.

As a numbers guru, any thoughts? There is just no way DHS has the attendance they claim, but I have been saying this for years. It was the only park I visited this spring (both March and April) and found it to be relatively empty when you consider wait times and how tiny the park's current footprint actually is. It felt so empty and wait times were absolutely inflated, and still lower than what one would expect (Star Tours a walk on listed as 15 minutes, RnRC a 15-minute wait listed at 40 etc.)

With EPCOT you can never get a real idea when it is Festival season because people do come in to get drunk and while FW is three quarters dead space, all of those festival booths and temporary exhibits make things seem more crowded.

The only parks that legitimately feel busy are MK and DAK.

Haven't been out west in 2018, so no idea what is going on there. But with prices, parking and Pixar, one might guess that locals are basically saying it just isn't worth it. But that is a guess ...

bclane

The Disney film facts guy on twitter said his Pixar animation contacts said that Pixar is in chaos right now. And that TS4 is in really bad shape. But that WDAS was coping fine.
Everytime I think about the whole John Lasseter thing I get so depressed. Ok yes that is an exaggeration but I hate so much how many women he hurt and besides that I am a huge Pixar fan and it just kills me that JL had to turn out to be such a sleazebag and ruin so much goodness for so many people both in and outside of the studio. I’m glad he’s out but worried that it will be a very long time before Pixar will get their house back in order.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom