News Tomorrowland love

Brad Bishop

I don't think it is safe to say that at all... Sure WDW's Space mountain has gotten rough over the years and could use a track replacement back to it's original pristine condition, but the actual ride experience, queue and building are far superior to the Disneyland "banking inclines" coaster... WDW's version needs on-board sound, track work, and the Home Of Future Living exit display completely reimagined and rebuilt with the sets and props from Horizons. Disneylan;s version of Space Mountain was always a pale ghost until more recently when the onboard sound and projections were added... If they invest the money, WDW's Spce Mountain could easily again be the crown jewel attraction of the park.

One thing that Disneyland really has (more "had" at this point) which was great was the ride-layering and the kinetic feel. WDW had this, too, but not to the same level.

Think about it: Subs, Sky Ride, Monorail, Peoplemover, and Astro Orbiter all constantly moving twisting in and out of each other. That's always been really cool, IMO. We've lost the Sky Ride and Peoplemover at Disneyland so it's less so than it was. The Astro Orbiter was moved up front so that kind of takes away from the kinetic feel of the land.

MK's less cool to me because Tomorrowland is spread out and no Monorail.

Yeah, they can repaint it... What each really needs is the more kinetic feel to is plus something besides it being a dumping ground for attractions that they don't have a good location for (Monsters, Stitch, Buzz, etc.)

TJJohn12

One thing that Disneyland really has (more "had" at this point) which was great was the ride-layering and the kinetic feel. WDW had this, too, but not to the same level.... Yeah, they can repaint it... What each really needs is the more kinetic feel to is plus something besides it being a dumping ground for attractions that they don't have a good location for (Monsters, Stitch, Buzz, etc.)

I actually think there could be "easy" fixes to help bootstrap this sort of feel for the land. Implementing canopies like they have at the Fremont Street Experience in Las Vegas could allow for more movement overhead, and a deeper immersion experience that is both impressive and scalable. Glance at the sky in tomorrowland and see the "skyline" of the places, with futuristic skyscrapers and ships zipping overhead. Has the popular concept of a futuristic spaceship changed? Just re-render the canopy video to have different styled ships. Need some synergy for that "Flight of the Navigator" reboot they just released in 2033? Insert him in.

It's "old" tech by now, but it seems like this sort of experience in T-land would still thrill and impress - not to mention do a lot as a band aid for a dying land while they figure out something else to replace Buzz, Stitch and Monsters with.

Timothy_Q

One thing that Disneyland really has (more "had" at this point) which was great was the ride-layering and the kinetic feel. WDW had this, too, but not to the same level.

Think about it: Subs, Sky Ride, Monorail, Peoplemover, and Astro Orbiter all constantly moving twisting in and out of each other. That's always been really cool, IMO. We've lost the Sky Ride and Peoplemover at Disneyland so it's less so than it was. The Astro Orbiter was moved up front so that kind of takes away from the kinetic feel of the land.

Yeah, they can repaint it... What each really needs is the more kinetic feel to is plus something besides it being a dumping ground for attractions that they don't have a good location for (Monsters, Stitch, Buzz, etc.)
When you're standing in the "main plaza" of DL's Tomorrowland (between Space, Inoventions and TL Terrace), there's zero movement.

The land feels incredibly static today, for some reasons you've already stated.
Astro Orbiter in the wrong place.
Inoventions not spinning
Peoplemover abandoned
Subs out of sight

I believe MK's Tomorrowland feels incredibly more kinetic and alive than DL's

Kman101

so after seeing Tokyo Disneyland Tomorrowland in person and thinking how the paint scheme and overall look could be implemented at MK has me rethinking how I felt about that before. It’s okay, but it isn’t really all that interesting. Truly non of the Tomorrowland are good. Shanghai is the most modern looking and differnent, to be expect, but I can’t say MK has the worst Tomorrowland in the world... far from it.

They're all pretty bad in their own ways, lol. MK's to me is actually one of the better of them, not that I love everything about it and am welcoming the painting and changes coming. But yeah, they're all sort of a mess.

Shanghai's is modern but it doesn't all work for me. I haven't seen it in person, of course, so I'm trying not to judge it too much. I like some of it, not all of it.

Hong Kong's at least pretends to be a lite version of Sci Fi City and it sort of works there. At least they tried to have it all sort of go together, in a way.

IDK. Tomorrowland is a tough one.

Disneyland's really needs help. MK just needs a cohesive design. It's Sci Fi City in the front and classic Tomorrowland in the back.

Robbiem

I actually think there could be "easy" fixes to help bootstrap this sort of feel for the land. Implementing canopies like they have at the Fremont Street Experience in Las Vegas could allow for more movement overhead, and a deeper immersion experience that is both impressive and scalable. Glance at the sky in tomorrowland and see the "skyline" of the places, with futuristic skyscrapers and ships zipping overhead. Has the popular concept of a futuristic spaceship changed? Just re-render the canopy video to have different styled ships. Need some synergy for that "Flight of the Navigator" reboot they just released in 2033? Insert him in.

It's "old" tech by now, but it seems like this sort of experience in T-land would still thrill and impress - not to mention do a lot as a band aid for a dying land while they figure out something else to replace Buzz, Stitch and Monsters with.

I always thought a freemont st style canopy would be a great way to jazz up the entrance at Tokyo Disneyland the roof really makes main st feel like you’re in a shopping mall

ToTBellHop

I can stand in one place and see the Speedway, PeopleMover, Astro Orbitor, and Carousel of Progress moving at the same time and feel like I’m in a “World on the Move.” Soon we will add Tron. I cannot stand DL’s Tomorrowland.

V_L_Raptor

DL’s Tomorrowland is really bad. Astro Orbiter’s location is inexcusable. The Peoplemover tracks are a cruel reminder of an attraction the land desperately needs but doesn’t have. Not to mention they are uglier than WDW’s tracks anyways. There are weird murals of Starspeeders and flying Space Mountains. The architecture is bland and uninspiring. Not to mention the lack of Sonny Eclipse. I could go on and on. I’ll easily take WDW’s Tomorrowland over DL’s, spine-busting Space Mountain and all.

One thing I remember about DL's Tomorrowland... They used to play Future World area music, definitely around Space Mountain. Do they still do that? (I can't remember hearing it around WDW's version, more's the pity...)

yensidtlaw1969

I can stand in one place and see the Speedway, PeopleMover, Astro Orbitor, and Carousel of Progress moving at the same time and feel like I’m in a “World on the Move.” Soon we will add Tron. I cannot stand DL’s Tomorrowland.
I cannot stand what it's become, but what it used to be was pretty astounding. Tomorrowland could easily be one of the best lands in Disneyland if they put the money in - if they went retro I think people would weep tears of joy.

I have to wonder what will happen to Disneyland's Star Tours once Galaxy's Edge opens. Like DHS, I can't imagine it's long for this world. I'd love to see that space converted back into a dark ride of some sort . . .

Kylo Ken

Local Idiot
Meh I'm not a big fan of this but it's temporary so.....
20180523_174605.jpg
20180523_174534.jpg
20180523_174559.jpg
20180523_174557.jpg
20180523_174506.jpg

HappyHaunt97

While I am not a huge fan of the Incredibles decor, it is kinda nice to see some life in MK's Tomorrowland. As a lifelong WDW visitor, I went to Disneyland earlier this month for the first time and was not too impressed by their Tomorrowland. The MK version seems much more colorful and well kept, in my opinion. The rest of Disneyland Park, however, was great!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom