News Tomorrowland love

trainplane3

It looks great, but I must confess I can’t recall how it looked before..
It looks like it went to two shades of dark blue instead of 2 of light blue and the area underneath is all the same color blue.
FYI: Google Maps has all of Disney World (and other Disney parks) as "walkable". It's super useful for this sort of thing.
buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.PNG

Animaniac93-98

Edit: Wow that picture really shows how the 90's overhaul of Tomorrowland clashes with the classic aesthetic

More like how they ran out of money to finish what they started. At this point it would be much easier and better suited for post-TRON Tomorrowland to simply go back to they way things were, with some minor tweaks to make it slightly less 70s.

jaxonp

so after seeing Tokyo Disneyland Tomorrowland in person and thinking how the paint scheme and overall look could be implemented at MK has me rethinking how I felt about that before. It’s okay, but it isn’t really all that interesting. Truly non of the Tomorrowland are good. Shanghai is the most modern looking and differnent, to be expect, but I can’t say MK has the worst Tomorrowland in the world... far from it.

WDWTank

More like how they ran out of money to finish what they started. At this point it would be much easier and better suited for post-TRON Tomorrowland to simply go back to they way things were, with some minor tweaks to make it slightly less 70s.
But that would be regressiveland! :(

trainplane3

Disneyland is probably the worst in terms of visuals and wasted space.
Even though I've never been there, I think it's safe to say they have the better Space Mountain but worse overall Tomorrowland. Now if their Peoplemover came back, moved the Astro Orbiter back to where it should be, put something worthwhile in their SW Launch Bay (CoP/America Sings theater/Innoventions building?), and refined the overall theme, I think it would be superior. That's a lot of work though.

jaxonp

Even though I've never been there, I think it's safe to say they have the better Space Mountain but worse overall Tomorrowland. Now if their Peoplemover came back, moved the Astro Orbiter back to where it should be, put something worthwhile in their SW Launch Bay (CoP/America Sings theater/Innoventions building?), and refined the overall theme, I think it would be superior. That's a lot of work though.
It’s still way too cramped no matter how you slice it.

shortstop

I wouldn't mark it down for that though. It was designed and built at a different time. I'm sure they could open up some space but I don't think it'd be worth the effort. It's pretty much landlocked.
DL’s Tomorrowland is really bad. Astro Orbiter’s location is inexcusable. The Peoplemover tracks are a cruel reminder of an attraction the land desperately needs but doesn’t have. Not to mention they are uglier than WDW’s tracks anyways. There are weird murals of Starspeeders and flying Space Mountains. The architecture is bland and uninspiring. Not to mention the lack of Sonny Eclipse. I could go on and on. I’ll easily take WDW’s Tomorrowland over DL’s, spine-busting Space Mountain and all.

Haymarket2008

DL’s Tomorrowland is really bad. Astro Orbiter’s location is inexcusable. The Peoplemover tracks are a cruel reminder of an attraction the land desperately needs but doesn’t have. Not to mention they are uglier than WDW’s tracks anyways. There are weird murals of Starspeeders and flying Space Mountains. The architecture is bland and uninspiring. Not to mention the lack of Sonny Eclipse. I could go on and on. I’ll easily take WDW’s Tomorrowland over DL’s, spine-busting Space Mountain and all.

It really is pretty bad. The crowd control is horrific with all the stroller parking in the front, the Astro Orbiter placement is insane, and it is all just so ugly. A terrible blemish on an otherwise gorgeous little park.

jaxonp

Is WDW’s the best Tomorrowland? Is that both sad and true?

It actually might be and I wouldn’t have said that before last months trip to the Asian parks. Paris and Shanghai are the most unique. I like the feel and look of Shanghai but it’s just so darn big with not a lot to do in the land. Paris is really working that steampunk look and I like it. Magic Kingdom has the most going on with the worst two attraction greeting you. Honestly if they updated the paint and lighting, replaced MIlf and stich then it’s not contrst who has the best Tomorrowland. Especially once tron opens. Now if we could get some decent food over in Tomorrowland that’s be great, mmmk!

Sir_Cliff

It actually might be and I wouldn’t have said that before last months trip to the Asian parks. Paris and Shanghai are the most unique. I like the feel and look of Shanghai but it’s just so darn big with not a lot to do in the land. Paris is really working that steampunk look and I like it. Magic Kingdom has the most going on with the worst two attraction greeting you. Honestly if they updated the paint and lighting, replaced MIlf and stich then it’s not contrst who has the best Tomorrowland. Especially once tron opens. Now if we could get some decent food over in Tomorrowland that’s be great, mmmk!
I haven't been to the Asian parks, but out of those I have been to I think Paris' Discoveryland is the most successful. They do seem to have found an overarching theme of 'futurism' cloaked in a steampunk aesthetic that is both malleable and timeless enough to incorporate a range of attractions without the addition of anything really jarring (though I understand some don't think Buzz fits) and anything seeming dated 25 years on. I can see why it was tempting to replicate this approach at Disneyland, even if they completely messed it up with a half-hearted and muddled effort (e.g. that whole edible gardens idea). Anaheim was also probably just better suited to 1950s retro futurism than steampunk.

It will be interesting to see how they go at MK. On a personal level, I would like a restoration of the land to more or less the original architecture and color scheme. I do think, though, they'll have to do more to play up the mid-century futurism aspect to keep it from looking like a lot of architecture that still exists from that period across America.

Bocabear

I don't think it is safe to say that at all... Sure WDW's Space mountain has gotten rough over the years and could use a track replacement back to it's original pristine condition, but the actual ride experience, queue and building are far superior to the Disneyland "banking inclines" coaster... WDW's version needs on-board sound, track work, and the Home Of Future Living exit display completely reimagined and rebuilt with the sets and props from Horizons. Disneylan;s version of Space Mountain was always a pale ghost until more recently when the onboard sound and projections were added... If they invest the money, WDW's Spce Mountain could easily again be the crown jewel attraction of the park.

trainplane3

I don't think it is safe to say that at all... Sure WDW's Space mountain has gotten rough over the years and could use a track replacement back to it's original pristine condition, but the actual ride experience, queue and building are far superior to the Disneyland "banking inclines" coaster... WDW's version needs on-board sound, track work, and the Home Of Future Living exit display completely reimagined and rebuilt with the sets and props from Horizons. Disneylan;s version of Space Mountain was always a pale ghost until more recently when the onboard sound and projections were added... If they invest the money, WDW's Spce Mountain could easily again be the crown jewel attraction of the park.
Obviously I wasn't specific, my bad. If (when?) we get our track replacement, I'd want to keep the layout exactly the same. Add onboard audio and it'd be a winner. I did forget DLs layout is pretty meh. Actually, I often forget that ours is very unique due to the poor condition of the track itself.

Add glowing rockets to your list as well. I've been missing those since they stopped glowing. Makes the peoplemover boring when it goes through SM.

Bocabear

Obviously I wasn't specific, my bad. If (when?) we get our track replacement, I'd want to keep the layout exactly the same. Add onboard audio and it'd be a winner. I did forget DLs layout is pretty meh. Actually, I often forget that ours is very unique due to the poor condition of the track itself.

Add glowing rockets to your list as well. I've been missing those since they stopped glowing. Makes the peoplemover boring when it goes through SM.
I LOVED the glowing panels as seen from the Peoplemover... and why can'y they now add show scenes in space mountain sepecifically for the people mover....now that you cant see anything else....

trainplane3

I LOVED the glowing panels as seen from the Peoplemover... and why can'y they now add show scenes in space mountain sepecifically for the people mover....now that you cant see anything else....
I never got it either. The panels weren't bright enough to ruin the projections and they added a "show" for the PM. I thought I saw it mentioned on here a long time ago in another thread that the blacks lights used to "charge" the panels are just turned off. That's probably the worse part of the PM since you just stare at black nothingness with no music or narration.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom