Significant Changes to Whispering Canyon Cafe

IanDLBZF

Original Poster
According to Doctor Disney and various mentions over on Twitter and other methods of social media, it appears the hi-jinks and shenanigans over at Whispering Canyon Cafe have come to an end. Per the official WDWToday Twitter account, they did indeed mention that this was the end of the shenanigans that makes Whispering Canyon Cafe so famous for.
http://www.doctordisney.com/2018/05...-disneys-wilderness-lodge-officially-changes/
On that note, WDW did not update their website regarding the recent change.

ElleJay1119

We ate there 4/29 (our first visit; stayed at WL) and while they still did the “hijinks,” the energy was low and I was disappointed. Easily our worst table service restaurant out of 5 during our visit.

PMC0849

Hopefully the hijinks are back by October, my wife and I have never been to Whispering Spings but we we made an ADR for breakfast this upcoming trip. If they aren't back I suppose we will cancel the ADR

BackOTheLine

Honestly this is very disappointing for us! My daughter loved eating there because it was so much fun. For me the food was just “okay” but the experience is what made it worth seeking out. Sadly, even though we love WL, we probably won’t bother eating there again.

I am, however, interested in hearing what brought about this decision and if there’s any other form of “entertainment” being discussed. I also wonder if the staff will see a drop in tips...

SpiteriFam

We’ve booked lunch in August on the basis that it would be something unique and unusual for our 8 year old and 4 year old. Does the food justify the visit without the carrying on or should we change the booking?

Minnesota disney fan

Having experienced this fun dinner once with family, I am saddened that they are changing from a unique experience to just another restaurant in WDW. It was a lot of fun, and not just the catsup! My husband asked for a large ice tea, and they brought a half gallon jug of it:) My son in law wanted a "little " water, and got just that! He got a small shot glass type for his little water. Then the fun with the catsup ensued and the parade! The food was great, but the atmosphere really "made" the experience.
I also wonder why they would change this popular venue? too bad..................

Jambo Joe

Thank you so much WDW. Canceling our family's reservations for lunch during our vacation next month.

If the rumors are true, please kindly accept my sincere, genuine and heart-felt feedback as follows, for the benefit of the brand and as a token of esteem for your important and never-ending quest for improved profitability.

The business-school geniuses that you employ are doing a fantastic job of cleansing the resort from any and all experiences that run the slightest risk of being memorable, unique, affordable or entertaining.

I know, it's been an exhausting and time-consuming mission, spanning the course of decades, and as well all know, there is so much more truly important work yet to be done.

So many accomplishments, in the face of seemingly insurmountable opposition from the haughty, entitled and entirely unsuitable people that have the audacity to call themselves your customers.

It's sad, really. They just don't understand what's truly at stake, after all, and probably never will.

But that is their loss. Your bravery, grit and never-ending determination, especially in the face of such unwarranted, and let's face it, downright mean-spirited criticism, have been well worth all the relentless anxiety and scores of sleepless nights you've no doubt experienced along the way.

Because kids making noise and having fun at a restaurant (where families with kids go to have fun and make noise) must be ticking off your core customer, whoever the heck that is now, and God knows we can't have that.

Now that you have decided that the Wilderness Lodge is far too "exclusive" for anyone with a sense of humor or desire for whimsy to visit, I am sure you can proceed to reinvent Whispering Canyon Cafe as a safe, nurturing and exceedingly bland environment for the humorless, serious and "quality" clientele you so obviously long for.

No more shenanigans, thank goodness, because after all things were really getting out of hand.

Now that you have sanitized the atmosphere, I am confident in your time-tested and algorithmically-approved ability to comfortably re-work the food offerings, slyly and cunningly cutting whatever corners remain, to introduce the truly predictable, risk-free and sensible menu that all WDW visitors deep down must truly crave.

All at significantly higher and much-more-profitable prices, of course.

God bless you all and best of luck as you continue to fight the good fight for the benefit of those who truly matter most.
After that they can fix Trails End!

WishIwasatEPCOT

According to Doctor Disney and various mentions over on Twitter and other methods of social media, it appears the hi-jinks and shenanigans over at Whispering Canyon Cafe have come to an end. Per the official WDWToday Twitter account, they did indeed mention that this was the end of the shenanigans that makes Whispering Canyon Cafe so famous for.
http://www.doctordisney.com/2018/05...-disneys-wilderness-lodge-officially-changes/
My wife and I were there Saturday prior to an MK visit and commented to our server how quiet it was. Even Sunshine was subdued. Wandering Wendy indicated thy had noise complaints from guest rooms immediately above the restaurant and were asked to tone it down. They will join in if a guest initiates, but can't themselves. It's not WDW, just guests who didn't sign up for early AM noise.

Mrs.Morrow

That's one of our reservations. I went once, my SO has never been and was excited to go because of their "hi jinks", don't want him to be disappointed. I don't remember if the food alone is worth going? Thanks for posting

bearshouse

my family and I were hoping to enjoy some of the antics in June. Trying to decide if we need to cancel. While I understand the noise level is a problem but the idea of giant glasses to drink out of sounded fun. And our kids were hoping for the ketchup fun.

BackOTheLine

It was posted on another board by a cast member from the WL that the new GM has made it known that she isn’t a fan of the antics at WCC. She also thinks it’s just comfort food. He also commented about dwindling head counts. As always take reports such as these with a grain of salt.

What’s confusing to me about this report is that she seems to be acknowledging the mediocrity of the food while at the same time wanting to take away the draw of the experience. Maybe it’s true that guest count is down and she’s just looking for a change? Maybe there’s a plan for a revamp of the menu?

A couple of things:

I found this email on a DVC website: WDW.GM.WildernessLodge@Disney.com

It’s not verified but worth a shot if you wish to voice an opinion.

Also this is being discussed in another thread here as well:

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/whispering-canyon-change.940585/page-8

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
It was posted on another board by a cast member from the WL that the new GM has made it known that she isn’t a fan of the antics at WCC. She also thinks it’s just comfort food. He also commented about dwindling head counts. As always take reports such as these with a grain of salt.

What’s confusing to me about this report is that she seems to be acknowledging the mediocrity of the food while at the same time wanting to take away the draw of the experience. Maybe it’s true that guest count is down and she’s just looking for a change? Maybe there’s a plan for a revamp of the menu?

A couple of things:

Sounds like they need a new GM.

crxbrett

My wife and I were there Saturday prior to an MK visit and commented to our server how quiet it was. Even Sunshine was subdued. Wandering Wendy indicated thy had noise complaints from guest rooms immediately above the restaurant and were asked to tone it down. They will join in if a guest initiates, but can't themselves. It's not WDW, just guests who didn't sign up for early AM noise.

I was curious if they would frown upon a guest initiating any fun! I honestly want to ask for some ketchup as loud as I can next time I visit LOL

Honestly, the breakfast was not anything extraordinary but it was still good, but the fun and entertainment is what truly made the experience of eating breakfast there totally worthwhile and unique. I guess the lunch menu was a little more different in terms of food offerings, since there aren't too many bbq places on property. So I think it would still be worth hitting for that if you want some barbecue fixings.

I am bummed management decided to do this though. It almost would be like the equivalent of people complaining that the luau is too loud over at the Poly or a pool area is too noisy and then Disney management shutting them down or getting rid of the music. Maybe Disney will bring back the fun and then just let guests know before checking into those rooms that there may be a little more noise than in a room on the other side of the resort? There's got to be a way or compromise instead of just completely shutting down the high jinks, right?

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs

A couple of things:

The Wilderness Lodge GM is Ms. Thea Sargent, I believe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom