The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

And truthfully, we all should. I recall my mother's washer and dryer set that lasted over 25 years! (And that was with a family of 6!!) :jawdrop:
When first married, we bought a used mobile home sitting in a lot in a park. It had a washing machine that was at least 10 years old then. When we bought our first house we brought it with us and added a used dryer. We lived in that house for over 20 years and we were still using it, trouble free when we sold the house. That was back in the days of the king of appliances, Sears Kenmore, was still king. So it survived all those years of the two of us plus two babies and was still going strong. Man, how I wish we could buy quality like that now.

Goofyernmost

Was your brother an Evel Knievel fan! by chance? I had the wind up motorcycle and had it go over little ramps I made. I never wanted to venture and make a full fledged one. I was one of those kids that just wouldn’t do something if I knew there was a chance to get really hurt.
Every chance we got as kids we made ramps. Bikes were boring without ramps to jump to heights never before experienced by man (or child). With the world the way it is today, afraid of everything, the current generation of kids will never be able to say "We survived childhood".

We did that, drank out of hoses, rode in cars with no seat belts, slept on the rear window shelf of the car, no helmet for bikes, played outside until dark, rode in the back of pickups and so on. We are the original survivors. Got a few bumps and scrapes along the way, but, we have some really good stories to tell our grandchildren. Unfortunately, their parents don't let us tell them (as far as they know).

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Let's see 207 million eggs recalled, 35 illnesses! I like those odds. I was half way through a carton of a dozen eggs when I heard about the recall. I checked the numbers on the carton and sure enough it was part of the recall. I didn't finish the carton, but, once again I survived a near death experience. Is there no limit to my strength?

wdwfan4ver

Good old 1.2Mb/1.5Mb diskettes!

I still remember owning the 5 1/4 flexible ones of 500Kb as well!

Doom 2 (the game) used to require a staggering 12 diskettes to install!

A nightmare, as these 3 1/2 diskettes gets damaged very easily by high temps and humidity.
I remembered the big 5 1/4 diskettes very well. Back when I was growing up, the public schools had Apple II computers that used the 5 1/4 disks. I used them in grade school, middle school, and high school.

I remembered saving computer programming assignments on 5 1/4 diskettes for the computer programing class that I took in high school.

The Computer programming teacher's assignments at the time included stuff like making computer graphics on the computer, and make graphics that move in screen. One of the assignments included making a program that keeps attract of inventory and store sales. She taught us a computer language called basic before doing assignments like making graphics.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Every chance we got as kids we made ramps. Bikes were boring without ramps to jump to heights never before experienced by man (or child). With the world the way it is today, afraid of everything, the current generation of kids will never be able to say "We survived childhood".

We did that, drank out of hoses, rode in cars with no seat belts, slept on the rear window shelf of the car, no helmet for bikes, played outside until dark, rode in the back of pickups and so on. We are the original survivors. Got a few bumps and scrapes along the way, but, we have some really good stories to tell our grandchildren. Unfortunately, their parents don't let us tell them (as far as they know).

Actually, I think kids wearing helmets on bicycles now makes a lot of sense--if for no other reason, than there are even more cars on the road now. AND, the drivers all seem to be distracted with their electronic devices. :rolleyes:

I also know a nurse who works with head trauma patients. She has her own kids wear helmets, even when sledding in the winter.

As for all the other stuff you mentioned, it is truly amazing that we all somehow survived--but then again, perhaps we were the lucky ones. ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Game 1- we won!!

T had 2 goals and 3 assists. He said “I feel like Ronaldo, bring on the next game, we’re winnin’ this tourney. Trophy here I come!” 😆
We’re on a Frisch’s break now before game 2. View attachment 283486View attachment 283487

Very good! (But what I like even better are the breakfast pictures. :hungry: It's a treat to go out and order a full breakfast on a weekend morning!)

wdwfan4ver

And the Darwinism Award of the week goes to this family.

Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to that stuff. There has been a lot dumb stuff happening like what I read yesterday online.

I read yesterday that a drunk died from an electrical explosion at a music festival in Brazil back in April 29. The media didn't cover it till a couple days ago.

What happened was the drunk climbed top of the stage by going on the side. The drunk than was spotted by the crowded and a singer than told the band to stop playing.

The singer tried to talk to him for getting him down, but the drunk even faked his fall multiple times before continuing to walk with his back touching two high voltage cables.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom