The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

21stamps

There was a serious accident by my house tonight. I was at work, but DH said suddenly it got REALLY noisy. Ambulances, firetrucks, trauma helicopter...the fireman had to extricate the woman from the car and I guess they took both people to Nijmegen to a bigger hospital. It was only the one car, thank goodness, but the street was closed down for a while and hubby said the helicopter went RIGHT over the house. It was only about 2 blocks away. I hope the people pull through!!
https://www.112achterhoek-nieuws.nl...hem-voor-twee-gewonden-bij-eenzijdig-ongeluk-

That’s terrible. I hope they’re ok!

Cesar R M

Not in the houses, no. Or schools. Summers are usually pretty mild and we only get a couple of weeks worth of real summer weather. So most places don't bother with AC. My work is MISERABLE when we get the hot weather. Last year, they measured the upstairs at 109 degrees. We were basically told to drink plenty of water and not to walk as fast and make sure that we didn't stay upstairs as long. So we were supposed to kind of rotate who was walking up there. We got in trouble for propping open the doors because if there was a fire, it would spread more easily and insurance wouldn't pay for it. Yeah....because the chance of a fire is a whole lot greater than someone getting heat stroke and passing out. :rolleyes: Heaven forbid they put our health ahead of the money. But they won't invest in the building. The elevators don't work well, so now we're not allowed to go in them....they are only for goods. The floor has like...potholes in it, which they have covered with packing tape to keep people from tripping. They did finally start using the heat in the winter in the last couple of years. When I first started, we walked around in our coats and scarves in the winter. But they don't want to invest in it, and the working condition laws are pretty vague. I thought for sure it was a violation in that heat, but it's not. It says they have to assess whether or not work really needs to be done there, and if not, then they can't make you. But if there's nothing they can do about it and the work HAS to get done, they have to offer frequent drinks and limit time spent in the hotter areas. That's it. A few years ago, we had a heatwave and most schools in the country went to what they call a tropics roster. They started a couple hours early, when it was still cooler out, and then they got out before the hottest part of the day. Our school was an exception....they didn't want to get up early, so they didn't do anything except allow the kids to have water breaks. DD's classroom faced the sun and it was 44.3 Celsius in there. One of the fathers was LIVID and brought the whole class popsicles. People don't think we need AC here, but it's getting a bit warmer every year. I was surprised they built DD's new school building without AC. I thought for sure the newer buildings would have AC. I thought wrong.
The door thing is probably one of the dumbest thing I've ever heard lol.
Using that logic then closing the doors is questionable, since it would prevent people from finding the exits in case of fire ;)

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Thanks! He was totally fine this morning. Wants to show his friends the huge bandaids.lol.
We didn’t have to sign a contract about other activities, his soccer is strict, but something like that would be a deal breaker for us!

I’m fairly good about remaining calm during that kind of stuff, on the exterior at least, I know what to check for on broken bones or sprains, that was my main concern after realizing the car wasn’t involved. So besides running outside in my bathrobe :hilarious: I didn’t visibly freak out, but I was petrified for a second, it was weird to hear the scream then nothing. He said he didn’t want to cry in front of the man, and that if he moved then he knew he would cry. I really think it’s the blood and the torn skin that made him freak out like that. The kid can get hit by a baseball pitch, in the face with a soccer ball, trip on the field- and doesn’t phase him. But this was like I was pouring alcohol on his wounds- sobbing and yelling.

All’s well that ends well. I’m sure it won’t be the last time he gets all scraped up.

Very happy to hear that he's o.k. Stuff happens to kids while they're playing.

When I was growing up, one of my brothers practically took up residence in the local hospital's emergency unit. Two of his more "notables" were when he made a "ramp" on the street and drove his bike over it, to be airborne, like a stunt man (at 8 . . .) :facepalm: , lost control, and drove head-first into a tree, and was unconscious.

Another time, he was making a go-cart in the back yard out of old pieces of wood and rusted out nails, that he found in a dump site (and brought home . . . :facepalm: ). Somehow, he fell on top of one of the wooden planks that had nails sticking out--and they ended up with nails in his lower leg---about 12 of them! :eek:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I found ancient technology.
View attachment 283337
Good old 1.2Mb/1.5Mb diskettes!

I still remember owning the 5 1/4 flexible ones of 500Kb as well!

Doom 2 (the game) used to require a staggering 12 diskettes to install!

A nightmare, as these 3 1/2 diskettes gets damaged very easily by high temps and humidity.

Had a funny memory of years ago with the big floppy diskettes. At the time, I was working for an accountant in a large firm. He had just come back from a business trip, and brought a diskette with him, from one of the other offices in another state.

He opens his briefcase and it was a mess of papers, etc. in there--and then hands me the floppy . . . all bent, from him just dumping it in there and squishing everything together--to get the briefcase to close! He didn't have a clue that it was damaged! Ah, the old days . . . :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom