Bob Chapek Confirms Disney Will Overhaul Epcot

Dutch Inn '76

when someone has an opinion and it gets dismissed as "you just dont get it" it comes across smug and incredibly arrogant. how about we wait and see where they re gonna put it and what its gonna look like before we condemn it

Absolutely. Who do we think we are?? ...we're like some crazed fan that revolted when the Stones went disco... but we're still listening to "Miss You," aren't we? No matter how many times you've visited the park, or how much you might obsess over all things Disney - The Mouse will do what The Mouse wants. Whether we "trust them" or not (LOL), most of the time they make good decisions - resulting in all of our hanging out on a message board to discuss this splendid place called Disney World, and returning to WDW over and over to give them our hard earned money.

twebber55

Absolutely. Who do we think we are?? ...we're like some crazed fan that revolted when the Stones went disco... but we're still listening to "Miss You," aren't we? No matter how many times you've visited the park, or how much you might obsess over all things Disney - The Mouse will do what The Mouse wants. Whether we "trust them" or not (LOL), most of the time they make good decisions - resulting in all of our hanging out on a message board to discuss this splendid place called Disney World, and returning to WDW over and over to give them our hard earned money.
agreed
someone literally called the hotel a monstrosity, i mean some perspective and rational thought would be nice lol

i have no idea how this will turn out but ill judge when we see where and what it looks like and if people dont like like it i wont belittle their opinion

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
You've got it all figured out, right?

Kman101

Whether we "trust them" or not (LOL), most of the time they make good decisions - resulting in all of our hanging out on a message board to discuss this splendid place called Disney World, and returning to WDW over and over to give them our hard earned money.

No, they haven't. (Though I suppose everyone's "YMMV" on that)

They've made a lot of errors in decisions over the last few decades. I mean, I'm not typically a 'debbie downer' so to speak but even I can't get behind this because I don't trust them. I mean, someone who tries to wait and judge things is uneasy about that. What does that tell you? I do think we tend to jump the gun at times worrying about the unknown, I'm one of the first to say 'chill out' but I can't get behind this until I know more about any proposed designs. I've said I'm not entirely against it but I don't trust them to do it right. I'm saying this because they've given me plenty of reasons not to trust them.

And for me mistakes they make and still going don't always go hand in hand. You can dislike a direction they take and be critical but also still love the company and what they once used to do. I don't like every decision they make but there's plenty I still like. It's not really black or white for most people.

twebber55

No, they haven't. (Though I suppose everyone's "YMMV" on that)

They've made a lot of errors in decisions over the last few decades. I mean, I'm not typically a 'debbie downer' so to speak but even I can't get behind this because I don't trust them. I mean, someone who tries to wait and judge things is uneasy about that. What does that tell you? I do think we tend to jump the gun at times worrying about the unknown, I'm one of the first to say 'chill out' but I can't get behind this until I know more about any proposed designs. I've said I'm not entirely against it but I don't trust them to do it right. I'm saying this because they've given me plenty of reasons not to trust them.

And for me mistakes they make and still going don't always go hand in hand. You can dislike a direction they take and be critical but also still love the company and what they once used to do. I don't like every decision they make but there's plenty I still like. It's not really black or white for most people.
again whats it gonna look like where is it going to be what will be the views both in the park and outside the park as well as the views from within the resort
when those answers get answered (and i mean truly answered) then then feel free to judge
i just dont get the faux outrage over something we know very little

lazyboy97o

again whats it gonna look like where is it going to be what will be the views both in the park and outside the park as well as the views from within the resort
when those answers get answered (and i mean truly answered) then then feel free to judge
i just dont get the faux outrage over something we know very little
So the past several hotel projects that consist of oddly ornamented boxes means nothing?

trainplane3

So the past several hotel projects that consist of oddly ornamented boxes means nothing?
To add, the Grand Floridian always felt like a simple, sort of boxy house shape and they still messed it up by making the DVC building a literal box with some points on top. And the worse side (mainly) facing the lagoon. By building the DVC building, it hit me with how much more detail was put into the original building.
grandfloridian_bothresorts2013ww.jpg

It's very obvious which one is the original building and which was the addition.
Source: http://www.yesterland.com/grandfloridian.html

Last edited:

SpaceMountain77

To add, the Grand Floridian always felt like a simple, sort of boxy house shape and they still messed it up by making the DVC building a literal box with some points on top. And the worse side (mainly) facing the lagoon. By building the DVC building, it hit me with how much more detail was put into the original building.

It's very obvious which one is the original building and which was the addition.

I have been visiting the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort and Spa at least once a year, sometimes as much as three times per year, since its opening. Every night, after returning from the parks, I walk the resort and notice the details of the various buildings. In previous posts, I have detailed my critique of architectural elements, such as the turrets, dormers, and finials, and, specifically, the lack thereof. However, for this post, I am going to draw attention to similarities.

The Villas are, indeed, similar, but not to what one might expect. If you critically attend to the details of the convention center, service area to the left of the monorail platform, and the section of the main building that faces the marina (where Gasparilla Island Grill is located), you will notice that the Villas follow the architectural cues of these lower profile areas. This is, by no means, an excuse for the boxy structure that is less ornate and taller than it should be. However, it is an amalgamation of the least desirable aspects of the resort's other areas.images.jpegDisney-Grand-Floridian.jpg

Dutch Inn '76

Not really. It means it’s something that if you have to ask about it then you probably wouldn’t understand.

Here's one of the arrogant comments we were talking about.

I think y'all don't want to block the view of the Golf Ball from the parking lot? (Is that the big gripe?) That's just not a big deal AT ALL. It would be more impressive, frankly, to have it revealed as you are walking in - like at the MK.

Dutch Inn '76

I think y'all are splitting hairs. Yeah, the newer building doesn't have quite the same panache as the older ones. It's not a big deal. It still looks nice.

Dutch Inn '76

Not in the last twenty years or so they haven’t. The good decisions have been the exception.

LOL. Why don't you apply for an Imagineering position? I'm sure they'd be honored to have you in their presence.

Disney World is better every time I return. I'd say that bad decisions are the exception.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom