News Walt Disney World will not host any further Night of Joy events

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Need more than that. Do the parks not open?

Early morning road closures, traffic delays, staging areas closed sections of the parking lot at Epcot, MK, or DAK, depending on the race. But the parks opened at posted times. Guests that arrived at park opening might be prevented from walking through an area until all the runners passed. That's it.

Biff215

@gorilla1964 Please stop, you're simply adding fuel to the fire. It was a great event for many but there were some who broke the rules and made it a difficult night for CM's. Disney made the decision to discontinue it, likely a joint decision with the promoter once it was moved out of the MK and to WWoS. There are plenty of similar events held throughout the country for those looking for them. It's a shame it ended but just like with anything else like it, some ruin it for everyone else unfortunately.

Stellajack

Premium Member
Is there ever a month Run Disney is not happening nowadays? haha Seems like always...
Early morning road closures, traffic delays, staging areas closed sections of the parking lot at Epcot, MK, or DAK, depending on the race. But the parks opened at posted times. Guests that arrived at park opening might be prevented from walking through an area until all the runners passed. That's it.
Isn't this why those legendary "balloon ladies" bring up the rear? They sweep runners who are outside the mile/min requirement. In this way the parks open as usual. Perhaps the marathon has a different requirement. Having both run and attended park opening on the same day, I have not been able to even tell that a run took place.

LAKid53

Premium Member
@gorilla1964 Please stop, you're simply adding fuel to the fire. It was a great event for many but there were some who broke the rules and made it a difficult night for CM's. Disney made the decision to discontinue it, likely a joint decision with the promoter once it was moved out of the MK and to WWoS. There are plenty of similar events held throughout the country for those looking for them. It's a shame it ended but just like with anything else like it, some ruin it for everyone else unfortunately.

Not that I'm defending him by any means, but that quoted comment is from the thread on the war between Disney and Comcast/Universal, not this one.
Isn't this why those legendary "balloon ladies" bring up the rear? They sweep runners who are outside the mile/min requirement. In this way the parks open as usual. Perhaps the marathon has a different requirement. Having both run and attended park opening on the same day, I have not been able to even tell that a run took place.

Little secret. Those "balloon ladies" are volunteers, not official runDisney pacers. Those are the people on the bikes. I got behind them for the last 2 miles of the Princess Half. But I was past the last of the parade buses and was in little danger of being swept, unless I voluntarily decided to stop.

" The Balloon Ladies are volunteer pacers who maintain a 16 minute mile. They are there to encourage and help runners stay ahead of the minimum pace."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It was a great event for many but there were some who broke the rules and made it a difficult night for CM's. Disney made the decision to discontinue it, likely a joint decision with the promoter once it was moved out of the MK and to WWoS. There are plenty of similar events held throughout the country for those looking for them. It's a shame it ended but just like with anything else like it, some ruin it for everyone else unfortunately.
There's no discrimination angle. Hosting the event wasn't discriminatory and canceling the event is not discriminatory.

Hey! Nobody wants reasonable comments around here!! Did you not get that memo??

LAKid53

Premium Member
When @gorilla1964 joined the forum it was with a post where he "believed" WDW owned a chunk of Universal Studios.

He now says he's an employee of WDW and feels Christianity is being attacked because NoJ is nixed but all other religions still get special events at WDW.

By all means, continue to take him seriously.

So he's a troll.....

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I was actually staying on Western Way and BV for the half Marathon which is part of the course. They pick it up very quickly. No issues. Very different type of impact Night of Joy and Grad Nights brought to the parks.

Jim Chandler

I agree with Gabe IMO it is strictly an issue of some guests doing dumb things and ruining it for all. Just like abusing wheelchairs. I have read stories of guests on “special nights” doing things that should only be done in a person’s bedroom. Disney does not need that press even if the intent of the event is all good.

Nsaudra

With the way Disney is headed lately it doesn' surprise me.... my kids are not allowed to watch teen programming due to the lack of Christian values. If it was teens with free tickets that was the issue then make it where they don't work during the event

brb1006

Over the last 10 years across multiple Disney forums, there have been dozens if not hundreds of posts from CMs describing Night of Joy. You take a bunch of repressed teens, set them loose without their authoritarian overlords, and you're in for a debaucherous event. You can find similar reports of event staff across the country who consistently report the same thing. If you use the search function in this forum or others you can find specific details etc...
Now the CMs can finally have a relief now that it's over.

Lucky

With the way Disney is headed lately it doesn' surprise me.... my kids are not allowed to watch teen programming due to the lack of Christian values. If it was teens with free tickets that was the issue then make it where they don't work during the event
Yeah, it’s all Disney’s fault if Christianity’s influence is declining. It has nothing to do with the behavior of many of the people who call themselves Christians.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Yeah, it’s all Disney’s fault if Christianity’s influence is declining. It has nothing to do with the behavior of many of the people who call themselves Christians.

Please take the religious debate to the appropriate forum.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If I recall there is still the Candlelight concert at Epcot, no? Maybe the numbers just weren't there for this thing. Yes Disney's values are worse than they ever have been, that doesn't come into question at all I don't think. Walt's standards for TV and family friendly shows trump what they see today.

I am not sure how much of a Christian Walt was himself, I have read various reports on it, but there is one thing for sure, on opening day in 1955 at Disneyland Walt brought a minister (his nephew actually) to pray over the park at the opening ceremony. It is all on Youtube. So there certainly was a "blessing" on the park back then. I don't know if Disney still follows that template today but it is interesting to note that it is part of its roots.

Yep. Right in the park there is a performance where Bible passages are read and sacred songs are sung about the birth of Jesus who is God in the flesh. No Frosty and Jingle Bells here. Purely religious. And Walt's idea.

And stand for the Hallelujah chorus, people!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom