Is this really a service dog?

joejccva71

Original Poster
This is a recent video of a "service dog". Now it is my understanding that service dogs don't act like this. I have never seen a service dog play 'fetch' as the owner says 'go get it...go get it'. Or chasing some sand kicked by the owner...

Someone enlighten on this. Fake service dog? They're at the Beach Club resort on the beach as well which irritates me as well.

NiarrNDisney

This is a recent video of a "service dog". Now it is my understanding that service dogs don't act like this. I have never seen a service dog play 'fetch' as the owner says 'go get it...go get it'. Or chasing some sand kicked by the owner...

Someone enlighten on this. Fake service dog? They're at the Beach Club resort on the beach as well which irritates me as well.

It could quite possible be a Emotional Support Service Dog.

joejccva71

Original Poster
It could quite possible be a Emotional Support Service Dog.

Emotional support dogs do not qualify as service dogs per the ADA. Real service dogs are also insured and extremely well trained. This dog in the video doesn't appear to be service dog trained.

The same goes with Therapy dogs. They are not service dogs either contrary to what people think.

I would also point out that if this was in fact an ESA dog then it should not have a 'Service Dog' vest on it, there are ESA vests. Now that I think about it. I'm kinda glad I didn't see this in person. There are too many people that slap a service dog vest on their dog at Disney and call it a day.

Last edited:

NiarrNDisney

Emotional support dogs do not qualify as service dogs per the ADA. Real service dogs are also insured and extremely well trained. This dog in the video doesn't appear to be service dog trained.

The same goes with Therapy dogs. They are not service dogs either contrary to what people think.

I would also point out that if this was in fact an ESA dog then it should not have a 'Service Dog' vest on it, there are ESA vests. Now that I think about it. I'm kinda glad I didn't see this in person. There are too many people that slap a service dog vest on their dog at Disney and call it a day.

Ok slow your roll! I simply said that perhaps its an ESA dog, I don't know these people nor their dog personally.

The Mom

Premium Member
I have never seen an "official" trained service dog play with it's vest still on. Vest on = on duty. Vest off = play, socializing time. A teacher at my children's school trained service dogs, and would bring them in to learn how to properly socialize. The children were taught when they could and could not pet them. I have also been in locations using trained LEO dogs - I could pet them before they had their vests on, while still in the van. Once they were on duty we ignored each other.

Emotional support dogs are different; I don't think they have as extensive a training.

It's possible it's a "real" service dog, but I'm suspicious.

Chef Mickey

Probably another person taking advantage of the system and not only ruining it for others, but also marginalizing the people who actually need the special assistance and/or are special needs.

I don't know about this case and of course you're a jerk if you speculate or question anything, but you know it happens more often than it should.

correcaminos

I have never seen an "official" trained service dog play with it's vest still on. Vest on = on duty. Vest off = play, socializing time. A teacher at my children's school trained service dogs, and would bring them in to learn how to properly socialize. The children were taught when they could and could not pet them. I have also been in locations using trained LEO dogs - I could pet them before they had their vests on, while still in the van. Once they were on duty we ignored each other.

Emotional support dogs are different; I don't think they have as extensive a training.

It's possible it's a "real" service dog, but I'm suspicious.

This is what I thought of as well. I have friends with actual service dogs (happens to be they are blind). If that vest is on, the dog is working. If the vests is off, they are not. They no way in heck would be playing with it with the vest on.

I'm skeptical as well.

I'm also sick of people gaming the system with fake service animals. It really makes it hard for those who have legit ones at this point. Leave your puppy at home if you travel or stay where they are allowed. Don't lie to get your dog to be with you *rant over*

jimbojones

Emotional support animals, also known as ..... pets

joejccva71

Original Poster
Why out of interest? How does it impact you personally?

Well because I am staying at Beach Club in 30 days and spent quite a bit of money for a vacation and I don't want dogs barking, running around the beach, lifting their leg, pooping and not having owners pick it up.

Service dogs are different. They are very well trained. They aren't hopping up on furniture, they aren't barking, they aren't lifting their leg whenever they feel like it.

I had my entire trip booked at Yacht Club because some co-workers of mine had their trips booked at that resort as well. When they got back earlier this year in February they told me that the CM's did not enforce where the dogs were allowed to go at the resort. They saw dogs on furniture in the lobby, and walking around on the main boardwalk and near the boardwalk door to the resort. The dogs are supposed to be in only certain designated areas. Needless to say I cancelled Yacht Club and ended up going with Beach Club because my kid loves that pool, or I would have stayed either at Boardwalk or somewhere else.

And I get irritated when people try to take advantage of the Service Dog system so they can bring their pets to the resort. So yes the video really bothered me. Just being honest.

Last edited:

OneofThree

It's out of hand everywhere now -restaurants, and even the local grocery store. It's blatantly obvious that people are abusing the whole "service dog" exception, and it shows zero respect for anyone else. The entire model relies on the idea that only a select few people really need these dogs for approved handicaps. I must have seen no less than 5 or 6 dogs in the grocery store the other day, all of them untrained and some of them barking. I spoke to management and the issue seems to be the liability associate with questioning whether these animals really are service animals. What is beyond me, is where people feel entitled to bring their dogs to places where they aren't allowed. ESA? WT_? Are you walking the animal or is the animal walking you? Sounds like you probably aren't well enough to leave to the house.

joejccva71

Original Poster
I’d rather have less children at the parks / hotels than less dogs - dogs are usually more well behaved ;-)

I agree about children not being well behaved. However, dogs should just be left at home, with friends/family or in a dog hotel while people are on vacation. Leaving dogs in a hotel room for 7 hours or even longer at a Disney World resort is an issue. They're in a strange place away from home and what they're used to. Also not seeing their owner(s) for a long day every day (while they're in a strange place) can get any dog (even trained dogs) restless and anxious.

I mean if I was paying $100 a night for 1 or 2 nights in a hotel and there were dogs, meh...I wouldn't take much issue.

But when I'm paying upwards of $7000-10,000 for a vacation, I don't want to hear or smell a dog at the resort, and I certainly don't want to have to watch where I step. If Disney enforced the rules, I'd be partially ok with it, but they don't.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom