Rumor New nighttime show at Epcot

EvilChameleon

I have to ask, are people upset because IP shouldn't be in a nighttime show at EPCOT, or are they upset because IP should't be in any shows, period?

Because World Of Color is one of the most popular shows across all Disney Parks and it's filled with IP.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Don't most guests love Reflections of Earth? Has it suddenly dipped in guest satisfaction (I mean it is time for an update, but not such a drastic one).
It’s seen as an average performer - certainly not a must see - and dated. Park attendance through the day vs those exiting at 930pm is telling (thank your magical tracking bands for that one)

Coupled with the two Bobs omnipresent demands for cross promotion IP and it’s a recipe for a new show. Or a failure depending on your point of view.

Kman101

It’s seen as an average performer - certainly not a must see - and dated. Park attendance through the day vs those exiting at 930pm is telling (thank your magical tracking bands for that one)

Coupled with the two Bobs omnipresent demands for cross promotion IP and it’s a recipe for a new show. Or a failure depending on your point of view.

Thank you as always for the insight. Sigh.

Perfect storm for an IP infusion.

Haymarket2008

I have to ask, are people upset because IP shouldn't be in a nighttime show at EPCOT, or are they upset because IP should't be in any shows, period?

Because World Of Color is one of the most popular shows across all Disney Parks and it's filled with IP.

Definitely upset over IP specifically in Epcot. IP in certain, and most shows, works brilliantly. It just seems all wrong in the middle of World Showcase Lagoon. Give me the smiling faces of people from all around the world. I don’t want to see Elsa representing Norway during a nighttime spectacular. This is their chance to make things coherent and consistent in an otherwise muddled and mixed message park.

Kman101

IP in shows at the Magic Kingdom, and Studios parks, is just fine. No one has much of a problem with that.

EPCOT could very well have a new show using IP that does what Reflections of Earth does, but many of us prefer a pure IP free show for a park like Epcot or Animal Kingdom.

One thing for me will be how they implement the IP in the Epcot show if it's a total failure for me or not. IP itself is already a strike against the new show but I'm also willing to see how they handle it. But my first instinct is disappointment for IP in a new Epcot nighttime show. Could they do it tastefully? Sure. Will they? And is it necessary?

But if someone is happy with IP in the new show, that's OK, but I don't think they always need to rely on IP. They're already putting IPs into the World Showcase, one's that I've become OK with, so I don't know that they need to do it with the nighttime show too. I also think they're over-estimating the need for IP in an Epcot show. But we'll see.

trainplane3

I suppose if they have to have IP in there that they'd be smart enough to put Figment in there...right? On the other hand, he doesn't have a movie so they probably don't care.

If anything, I hope the score isn't just "Disney's greatest hits". If the music is great, then I can have something to look forward to.

MerlinTheGoat

Just EPCOT. When executed properly, IP works perfectly well in Magic Kingdom or even Hollywood Studios.

EPCOT in its original form was not intended to have an IP presence, that is not what the park's purpose was. The people involved in its development and construction deliberately abstained from using IP. The first few years of the park's existence did not include IP in its attractions or shows. And it was extremely successful and popular.

This began to change around when Eisner was brought on, first it was just adding character meet n greets. That at least was easy enough to ignore initially. But it slowly crept into the actual attractions. Over the decades, this IP invasion has infiltrated and eaten away at EPCOT Center.

Now there's hardly anything remaining of its original identity or purpose. What once made the park so unique and wonderful is practically all long gone. It's a rotting corpse they're treating as a dumping ground for IP that don't belong (instead of putting them in parks they actually fit and make sense in).

NeedMoreMickey

The current show needs to be replaced. It’s dated and with all the restaurants and festival kiosk set up around the lake it’s hard to get a spot that you can see the projections on the globe. When Epcot opened I think there was only one restaurant on the water and you could see the America pavilion from across the lake because the theater wasn’t there yet.

I’m interested to know if all the people complaining about putting IPs in the shows are the same people who go to every meet & great available. Since the M&G are so popular with some guest (I’m not a fan) maybe Disney management figures people want the characters in everything. To me having an M&G for every movie isn’t any different than having it the night time shows.

MrPromey

Personally, I would agree with the idea of it being dated. When the show started, the idea of that globe-shaped screen that only showed video over the land masses seemed like a huge technical innovation over the metal ball they projected lasers onto.

Today, I notice how difficult it can be to figure out what's going on in some of those small areas to people who haven't seen it dozens of times and it seems like it should be the whole ball capable of displaying stuff and not just those areas... but making a change like that, aside from costing money on new hardware would, I assume, require them to redo the movie since those clips were easily repeatable across the globe thanks to the edges created by those land masses.

Also, as someone else mentioned, that show was introduced at a time when they weren't hiding so much of the waterfront from view around world showcase and weren't making viewing from some of the only truly good places left a fastpass or upcharge spot.

There are other small things, obviously, but I think a lot of the problems with ROE could have been addressed over the years by making appropriate technical updates here and there to the existing show (and putting a little more long-term thought into that waterfront area) but we all know that's not how they roll.

Unless it's a big enough change for them to do a marketing blitz with, it seems that modernizing anything to keep up with the times is heresy.

Last edited:

rle4lunch

Personally, I would agree with the idea of it being dated. When the show started, the idea of that globe-shaped screen that only showed video over the land masses seemed like a huge technical innovation over the metal ball they projected lasers onto.

Today, I notice how difficult it can be to figure out what's going on in some of those small areas to people who haven't seen it dozens of times and it seems like it should be the whole ball capable of displaying stuff and not just those areas... but making a change like that, aside from costing money on new hardware would, I assume, require them to redo the movie since those clips were easily repeatable across the globe thanks to the edges created by those land masses.

Also, as someone else mentioned, that show was introduced at a time when they weren't hiding so much of the waterfront from view around world showcase and weren't making viewing from some of the only truly good places left a fastpass or upcharge spot.

There are other small things, obviously, but I think a lot of the problems with ROE could have been addressed over the years by making appropriate technical updates to the existing show (and putting a little more long-term thought into that waterfront area) but we all know that's not how they roll.

Unless it's a big enough change for them to do a marketing blitz with, it seems that modernizing anything to keep up with the times is heresy.

This. RoE is weak sauce and shows its age badly.

ToTBellHop

Guys, guys! I figured it out!

It will be a Coco fireworks show!

They'll start off with Dante's Inferno...Barge!

tumblr_p4ix0lm8Oh1tzzjupo1_500.jpg

SteamboatJoe

In regards to IPs, the receptions by the general public of fan favorite HEA (all IP) and the just OK RoL (no IP) probably tells us all we need to know. We, here, know that, IPs aside, those shows are apples and oranges in comparison to one another. That said, I bet that won't stop the decision makers at Disney from rationalizing that IPs, or the lack thereof, are the difference between a wildly successful (aka merchandisable) show and an average show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom