How long before we start seeing tattoos on Disney CM's?

Dole Whip Happy Hour

KeithVH

Here's the problem. Who gets to decide what is acceptable, especially in a family-friendly environment? There are all sorts of shades of grey here. I would think HR would open themselves up to a lot of hassle over discrimination claims if they delegate to some hiring authority the ability to say this isn't acceptable but that is. Better to say no overall and reduce your risk footprint.

JIMINYCR

I think Disney will remain fairly conservative in the look they allow for their cast members. I think by keeping the standards they have now, cast members are set apart from other organizations, and guests do see the difference. Theres nothing wrong with a company setting employee standards and someone being hired knows ahead of time what the requirements are. I dont have negative feelings about tattoos, but I do think some people go to extremes and certain ones do not fit in well with the roles cast members play on the job. My DS has a couple upper arm tattoos that he has had changed/altered, but they are also hidden by his shirts for work standards.

I found these Disney standards:

Body Alteration or Modification
Intentional body alteration or modification for the purpose of achieving a visible, physical effect that disfigures, deforms or similarly detracts from a professional image is prohibited. Examples include, but are not limited to, visible tattoos, brands, body piercing (other than traditional ear piercing for women), tongue piercing or splitting, tooth filing, earlobe expansion, and acquiring visible, disfiguring skin implants.Methods to conceal an unacceptable piercing or tattoo, such as using a bandage, are not permitted. For tattoo coverage, opaque makeup will be permitted if it completely conceals the tattoo. Spacers or retainers are not permitted in any visible body piercing while working. Jewelry worn in non-visible piercings that may pose a safety risk because of costume design and/or job responsibilities will not be permitted

Facial Hair
For all male Cast Members, mustaches are permitted, but must be neatly trimmed and not present a bushy or unkempt appearance. Mustaches must not extend onto or over the upper lip and must extend to the corners of the mouth, but not beyond or below the corners.
Aside from mustaches, Cast Members are expected to be clean-shaven every day. Beards, goatees and any extreme mustache styles are prohibited.
Mustaches must be fully grown on the Cast Member’s hire date or must be fully grown during vacation or other non-working periods. No exceptions.

Hair Coloring
The Disney Look does not permit extremes in dyeing, bleaching or coloring. If the hair color is changed, it must be natural looking, well maintained and appropriate to your skin tone. Subtle highlighting or frosting is permitted as long as it creates a uniform look over the whole head and meets all of the previously listed guidelines

Hairstyling
Following are the Disney Look guidelines for hairstyles:
Hair must be neatly cut and tapered on the back and sides, forming a smooth,symmetrical appearance so that it does not extend beyond or cover any part of the earsor the shirt collar. The overall style must be neat, natural, and balanced proportionally.
A shaved head is permitted, as well as a very short military-style cut. Shaving of theeyebrows is not permitted.
Conservative braided hairstyles for men without beads or ornamentation are permittedprovided that they are styled above the ears and cut above the collar and are neatlybraided close to the scalp in straight rows.
Tucking hair behind the ears, pinning it under or tucking it under a hat to conceal anunacceptable hairstyle will not be permitted. Extreme or bi-level styles are not permitted.
Hair products may be used to create a soft, natural hairstyle within these guidelines.
Appropriate hair confinement should be used in food-service areas where required bylaw.
Artificial hair is permitted if it looks natural and meets all of the above requirements.

Sideburns
Sideburns should be neatly trimmed, straight and even in width, and may be permitted to extend to the bottom of the earlobe. They should blend naturally from the length of hair on the head. Flares or muttonchops are not permitted.

21stamps

To me, Tattoo's are an expression of ones self. This is no different to clothing, hair color (dying), hair style or any off the other thousands of ways people choose to express themselves. I work in a office where we are required to where dress clothes Monday through Thursday, I will never understand this, you should be comfortable in your work. That would probably make you more productive. I feel the same about all other areas of presentation, be comfortable.

Where the line is drawn, I don't know. What is offensive to some is not to others and to those same people the opposite is true. For me, even a nude depicted in a tattoo would not be offensive. As long as you are not hurting (physically) anyone, than be your self. We are taught this through out our lives, that is to be ourselves, that is until someone feels you have fallen out of the box. The problem is this box is always changing depending on who you are.

Just because I don't do something doesn't mean I should force others not to do it.

With all that said, as a company, Disney will set that bar and decide what its workers can do. This will all depend on customer input as to what they will except.
Most companies have loosened up in the last decade. There’s not an overwhelming amount of companies left where everyone is wearing a full suit. I think a lot more are shirt and tie compared to just 15 years ago.

Starlight67

Along same lines, my friend did the Disney college program back in the late 80's. She said at that time cast members weren't allowed to have highlighted hair.

Which is so weird, even back then I remember highlights being pretty mainstream. :confused::rolleyes:

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I'm not sure that they would allow tattoos in one area of the park and not the other if they are in the same position doing a similar job. I work in HR so I could see how that would get muddy saying "you have a tattoo - Go work at POTC or cover it up", though in theory, it makes sense to do so. Personally I don't have an opinion on tattoos other than they can look cool and just recently wrote my company's dress code policy which allows visible tattoos.

21stamps

I agree.

My take: Two people come into my establishment for a job. Both are well qualified. One has an arm full of tattoos the other doesn't. I hire the one who doesn't. Sure it's a statement and a little art (well sort of but not really). My apprehension is did this person have the foresight to see how the tattoos would affect their professional life, if that is what they are looking for. Apparently not. So how can they make important decisions that would affect the future of my company. Believe it or not they are not acceptable by all.

Besides, have you seen what tattoos look like after 20 years?
My sister and bro-in-law are both in orthopedics, both with fancy titles and a lot of responsibility.

They have matching Chinese calligraphy tattoos down their right side of the torso.
My sister also has a tattoo on her lower back, another on her foot, and a breast cancer ribbon on the bottom side of her wrist.

She’s a total goody-two-shoes.. but, as stated, she has multiple tattoos. All are hidden from view while in a professional environment, even when wearing a dress. The pink ribbon is covered up by a watch while working with patients or in a meeting.

Obviously brother-in-law’s torso is also covered up at all times when at work or associated events.

I’m not a fan of tattoos at all., However, I understand that some people like them.. but it’s the individual’s responsibility to make sure they are easily hidden. I agree with Disney and with any company who doesn’t allow visible tattoos in a professional environment.

OneofThree

My take: Two people come into my establishment for a job. Both are well qualified. One has an arm full of tattoos the other doesn't. I hire the one who doesn't.

Yes. My thinking is this: Tattoos are IMO, a reflection of the rapidly increasing narcissism in US society (fact -look it up). All other things being equal, I prefer less of this sort of self-centered mindset in people working either for, or beside me. I also believe that if they aren't hidden, it shows a certain lack of respect, i.e. "I am not accountable to the group in any capacity whatsoever". Granted, Western culture has always been far more individualistic than Eastern, collectivist cultures, but the drift over the past couple of decades finds us at extreme levels I think.

Last edited:

POLY LOVER

I agree.

My take: Two people come into my establishment for a job. Both are well qualified. One has an arm full of tattoos the other doesn't. I hire the one who doesn't. Sure it's a statement and a little art (well sort of but not really). My apprehension is did this person have the foresight to see how the tattoos would affect their professional life, if that is what they are looking for. Apparently not. So how can they make important decisions that would affect the future of my company. Believe it or not they are not acceptable by all.

Its a basic prejudice, because we make a judgement on an appearance and draw some conclusion not based on anything factual and not the the person who you say has equal ability. It would be no different if you substituted color in your scenario. Don't take offense it's just what some people do until we learn from experience that people are all the same. It's their actions we should be judging.

21stamps

I don't care about your sister and brother-in-law. I was talking about my take on tattoos. However, could you tell me your sister's name so I know not to go there? Personal choice. My reasons have all ready been given.

I’m confused. I was agreeing with you.lol.

So maybe I misunderstood, if someone has the foresight to make sure a tattoo is hidden from view while at work.. you still think that person is not professional?

You would not see a doctor, no matter how good they were, because you learned that they have a tattoo somewhere on their body? Really?

POLY LOVER

Yes. My thinking is this: Tattoos are IMO, a reflection of the rapidly increasing narcissism in US society (fact -look it up). All other things being equal, I prefer less of this sort of self-centered mindset in people working either for, or beside me. I also believe that if they aren't hidden, it shows a certain lack of respect, i.e. "I am accountable to the group in any capacity whatsoever". Granted, Western culture has always been far more individualistic than Eastern, collectivist cultures, but the drift over the past couple of decades finds us at extreme levels I think.

In the military for years it's been a soldiers or sailors thing to get a tattoo. Does that mean they don't respect the military?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I agree.

Well thats discrimination on your part. Would you make the same distinction on race or gender ?

OneofThree

In the military for years it's been a soldiers or sailors thing to get a tattoo. Does that mean they don't respect the military?

Quite the opposite, actually. An enormous component of military service has always been its encouraged counter-culture. These soldiers' subscription to the group embodies the point.

OneofThree

Whilst I'm not agreeing with his stance, race and gender aren't a choice (unless you change gender) whereas tattoos are. Again, I'm not really agreeing with him but just analysing his 'logic'

Agree because whether you support the position or not, "discrimination" isn't really functional here. We all make "discriminating" choices, all day, every day, in that sense.

21stamps

No prejudice at all. I am questioning their ability to make good decisions. Why would you even try to come up with such an argument? SAD

That’s understandable, but can you answer my question?

Do you ask your financial planner, doctors, attorneys, etc if they have a tattoo hidden beneath their clothes? This is the part that doesn’t make sense. What does that have to do with “poor decisions”?
Do you ask your prospective employees the same?

Agree because whether you support the position or not, "discrimination" isn't really functional here. We all make "discriminating" choices, all day, every day, in that sense.
Agree.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom