How long before we start seeing tattoos on Disney CM's?

mergatroid

Original Poster
So it seems that in today's age it's becoming the trend for more and more people to have tattoos. My wife and I are tattoo free and if I'm honest I've never liked the look of tattoos and find them kind of ugly. That being said I'm sure there's some people who find me kind of ugly too, so I'm not suggesting people shouldn't get tattoos based on my tastes and it's up to them what they do with their bodies. I also understand that a person's desire to have a tattoo doesn't reflect on their ability to do a certain type of job, so for instance we shouldn't think a doctor with tattoos is any less qualified or capable than one without them. Basically I'm firstly trying to clarify here that I have no issue with those who want or have tattoos, neither am I questioning their choice to have them.

I do however applaud certain companies rules such as Disney's, to have their employees cover their tattoos up whilst in front of their customers. Whilst I accept some think this 'discriminatory' (and technically is probably is), I find it on a par with expecting employees to dress to a certain standard as appearances are important to many companies and their customers expect and demand a certain image from their employees.

However times are a changing as they say and where I work in the UK used to enforce the rule of tattoos not being visible at work, a few years ago however they let that slide and now several colleagues openly display their tattoos. Now some of these people are my friends and I certainly don't judge them for having them, also they have no effect on their in work performance which is why they're there at the end of the day. But (apologies to you tattoo people) I find big tattoos and especially neck, face and hand ones really off putting and really hope in a few years time I'm not seeing them on Disney CM's as I visit the parks. I compare it to CM's looking untidy or wearing food stained or dirty clothing whilst on duty, it's an appearance issue more than anything else.

But with the way things are going and the current popularity of multiple tattoos all over people's bodies, how long do you think it will be before we see CM's allowed to display them?

Last edited:

DanielleOG

I think eventually it will be allowed to a certain degree simply because of the popularity of tattoos lately. It will always matter what the tattoos are though (just like you can't wear a t-shirt to the parks with swear words for example). Also, I'm sure characters will never ever be able to display their tattoos for obvious reasons.
Having said that, I really don't like that you compare tattoos to being untidy/dirty. A piece of art on someone's body is not the same as a food stain.

Mainahman

I guess it depends on the tattoo and where it's located. Face/neck/hands probably won't ever be allowed on Main Street USA, but for someone working Pirates, they might be entirely appropriate.

Times are changing. You may see some CMs sporting arm or leg tattoos this summer, I expect...
Piratea definitely an area where it would be added themeing! Jungle cruise too. Maybe it will finally be appropriate to show that Dole whip tattoo I have on my belly... Oh wait those are stretch marks... My bad.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
So it seems that in today's age it's becoming the trend for more and more people to have tattoos. My wife and I are tattoo free and if I'm honest I've never liked the look of tattoos and find them kind of ugly. That being said I'm sure there's some people who find me kind of ugly too, so I'm not suggesting people shouldn't get tattoos based on my tastes and it's up to them what they do with their bodies. I also understand that a person's desire to have a tattoo doesn't reflect on their ability to do a certain type of job, so for instance we shouldn't think a doctor with tattoos is any less qualified or capable than one without them. Basically I'm firstly trying to clarify here that I have no issue with those who want or have tattoos, neither am I questioning their choice to have them.

I do however applaud certain companies rules such as Disney's, to have their employees cover their tattoos up whilst in front of their customers. Whilst I accept some think this 'discriminatory' (and technically is probably is), I find it on a par with expecting employees to dress to a certain standard as appearances are important to many companies and their customers expect and demand a certain image from their employees.

However times are a changing as they say and where I work in the UK used to enforce the rule of tattoos not being visible at work, a few years ago however they let that slide and now several colleagues openly display their tattoos. Now some of these people are my friends and I certainly don't judge them for having them, also they have no effect on their in work performance which is why they're there at the end of the day. But (apologies to you tattoo people) I find big tattoos and especially neck, face and hand ones really off putting and really hope in a few years time I'm not seeing them on Disney CM's as I visit the parks. I compare it to CM's looking untidy or wearing food stained or dirty clothing whilst on duty, it's an appearance issue more than anything else.

But with the way things are going and the current popularity of multiple tattoos all over people's bodies, how long do you think it will be before we see CM's allowed to display them?
I think it may be quite a while as Disney has a lot of visitors from places that see visible tattoo's as offensive. In my experience the people who are offended are likely to voice their displeasure more loudly.
BTW both myself and the wife unit are heavily tattooed and i would like to compliment you on your OP as it gives your opinion without judging:)

RichC

My observation -and of course I could be wrong- is that tattoos peaked in their popularity a few years ago. I think fewer young (or old) people are getting tattoos these days. Yes, they're still very common, but I don't think they are trending in such a way that it will be inevitable Disney eases its tattoo policy in the near future.
I've seen a few cast member tattoos wink out from under sleeves and askew collars. Not a big deal, really.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I think eventually it will be allowed to a certain degree simply because of the popularity of tattoos lately. It will always matter what the tattoos are though (just like you can't wear a t-shirt to the parks with swear words for example). Also, I'm sure characters will never ever be able to display their tattoos for obvious reasons.
Having said that, I really don't like that you compare tattoos to being untidy/dirty. A piece of art on someone's body is not the same as a food stain.

Apologies. Whilst I'm openly admitting I don't personally like them, I'm also trying not to offend people over their choices. Perhaps I'm trying to say that a food stain on a CM stands out from other CM's without them, or better still catches your eye. A sleeve of tattoos is very noticeable for instance compared to an arm with no tattoos. A uniform is usually designed to give off a certain image or appearance whilst making those wearing it similar in appearance, some tattoos go against that principal. The artwork on certain tattoos is fantastic, that's not really where I was heading with that though my comparison could have been better.

Dole Whip Happy Hour

I see no problem with cast having tattoos. Do they still enforce this yet? I can see highly visible graphic nude women/men being covered. I love the idea of placing cast members with tattoos in specific certain areas, might be great in certain Star Wars land scenarios as well. I would be also happy to see cast showing off tattoos of any Disney characters/theme, it would make me a little happier knowing they believe in the magic too...

The Empress Lilly

Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why anybody would want a tattoo who isn't a sailor or convict.

But, tattoos are one of the examples of cultural values flowing upwards. Tattoos now seem a majority amongst the audiences visiting outdoor rock festivals, naturist venues and yes, Orlando theme parks.* Times change, generations change, fashion and social norms change. This will invariably reflect in changes in more formal environments too. As it should, perhaps. I am not conservative by any means, I just have classical taste.

* These three examples aren't picked random. They are instances where a lot of body is exposed. Do the tattooed prefer them for that reason (can show all that work), or is the frequenting of those venues reason to get a tattoo?

Last edited:

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Personally, I can't for the life of me understand why anybody would want a tattoo who isn't a sailor or convict.

But, tattoos are one of the examples of cultural values flowing upwards. Tattoos now seem a majority amongst the audiences visiting outdoor rock festivals, naturist venues and yes, Orlando theme parks.* Times change, generations change, fashion and social norms change. This will invariably reflect in changes in more restricted environments. As it should, perhaps. I am not conservative by any means, I just have classical taste.

* These three examples aren't picked random. They are instances where a lot of body is exposed. Do the tattooed prefer them for that reason (can show all that work), or is the frequenting of those venues reason to get a tattoo?
Depends on the person. My tattoo's are for me. Others have them to show off or to remeber people/events.

LUVofDIS

To me, Tattoo's are an expression of ones self. This is no different to clothing, hair color (dying), hair style or any off the other thousands of ways people choose to express themselves. I work in a office where we are required to where dress clothes Monday through Thursday, I will never understand this, you should be comfortable in your work. That would probably make you more productive. I feel the same about all other areas of presentation, be comfortable.

Where the line is drawn, I don't know. What is offensive to some is not to others and to those same people the opposite is true. For me, even a nude depicted in a tattoo would not be offensive. As long as you are not hurting (physically) anyone, than be your self. We are taught this through out our lives, that is to be ourselves, that is until someone feels you have fallen out of the box. The problem is this box is always changing depending on who you are.

Just because I don't do something doesn't mean I should force others not to do it.

With all that said, as a company, Disney will set that bar and decide what its workers can do. This will all depend on customer input as to what they will except.

The Empress Lilly

To me, Tattoo's are an expression of ones self. This is no different to clothing, hair color (dying), hair style or any off the other thousands of ways people choose to express themselves. I work in a office where we are required to where dress clothes Monday through Thursday, I will never understand this, you should be comfortable in your work.

With all that said, as a company, Disney will set that bar and decide what its workers can do. This will all depend on customer input as to what they will except.
Tastes vary. I prefer people who are slightly eccentric over the uptight. Not to mention, I'm quite liberal. For all I care I get directed into my monorail by a six foot four bear in nothing but a tattooed-on Elsa costume bodypaint.

Stiff clothing prescriptions lead to stifled thinking. Creativity by contrast thrives by challenging people to express their creativity and individuality.

I had rather WDW presented itself as a creative powerhouse through expressively dressed personnel than as a plastic and slick commercial enterprise dreadfully afraid of offending somebody, somewhere, somehow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom