News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

P_Radden

Past tense. It'll be interesting to how the concerns will be addressed.
FTFY :) They'll have to do something about the Eiffel Tower issue. And although the Rat building will shield some views of backstage WS, I'm sure lots of trees will have to be planted around it on all sides to block views of behind Morocco through Japan.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Isn't it funny how the Skyway was there for all those years and not one complaint about site lines were ever uttered. So is it the object that is the problem or the observer? Personally, I saw them build the Soarin building and thought it would be awful. Haven't even noticed it since then. Is it visible? Sure. Do I have more interesting things to look at? Must be. We see only what we want to see. It's all in our own power. If we want to find fault, we absolutely will. And there were plenty of things to find fault with in the alleged practically perfect early years.

Creathir

Isn't it funny how the Skyway was there for all those years and not one complaint about site lines were ever uttered. So is it the object that is the problem or the observer? Personally, I saw them build the Soarin building and thought it would be awful. Haven't even noticed it since then. Is it visible? Sure. Do I have more interesting things to look at? Must be. We see only what we want to see. It's all in our own power. If we want to find fault, we absolutely will. And there were plenty of things to find fault with in the alleged practically perfect early years.
The one difference was that it was there from the beginning. It was part of the experience everyone had.

Honestly, as neat as it was, I would argue the aesthetics of the MK were improved with its removal.

The thing bothering people with this is that very specific themed areas which have not had these wires floating around for literally decades are now suddenly going to have them.

I’m sure they won’t be extremely intrusive or obnoxious, but the WS is a place where I can be teleported away from the ordinary. When the overall theme is broken, it hurts that story telling slightly, but the effect is still there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Isn't it funny how the Skyway was there for all those years and not one complaint about site lines were ever uttered..
Sight lines from the Mk skyway were one of the reasons for its removal.

Right now the concern about IG and Rat sight lines are from those who work in the area. I can’t speak for the resorts. But I think Aruba will be a very different place to stay.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The one difference was that it was there from the beginning. It was part of the experience everyone had.

Honestly, as neat as it was, I would argue the aesthetics of the MK were improved with its removal.

The thing bothering people with this is that very specific themed areas which have not had these wires floating around for literally decades are now suddenly going to have them.

I’m sure they won’t be extremely intrusive or obnoxious, but the WS is a place where I can be teleported away from the ordinary. When the overall theme is broken, it hurts that story telling slightly, but the effect is still there.
Sight lines from the Mk skyway were one of the reasons for its removal.

Right now the concern about IG and Rat sight lines are from those who work in the area. I can’t speak for the resorts. But I think Aruba will be a very different place to stay.
Whatever floats everyone's boat I guess. Each individual has to agree to allow the fantasy to take them away. It is impossible in the real world, especially outdoors to eliminate the world that this place is located in or the mechanics that it takes to make it a great place to be. We have to be able to use our imagination the same way that a child is able to turn a cardboard box into a race car or a spaceship. If they paid attention to all the external discrepancy, they would just chuck it all and go watch cartoons on TV. The more people make a big deal out of it the more it becomes one. I guess that adults are just not imagination equipped to deal with a fantasy place unless everything is perfect. I don't have that problem and that is why I have still remained a kid for 70 years.

I'm sure that TWDC spun the idea that they created problems for people because of the sight lines to avoid alarming the public about the dangers of open gondolas and useless guests tossing things and spitting from them down on the crowd. Everyone that ever spent one minute in PR would know how to spin it in a let's keep the magic way. Lawyers were more involved with that removal then anything else. I'm sure of that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm sure that TWDC spun the idea that they created problems for people because of the sight lines..
Sight lines were one of many issues. Along with staffing, weather resilience and yes safety. There again Tokyo managed to fix the main safety concern.

As for how the current concerns will be addressed remains to be seen.

Last edited:

Incomudro

Reminds me of how I saw the surface of the water if I looked up from the window of the Nautilus.
But made the decision to ignore it, and focus myself on the ride.

DisAl

@MisterPenguin , I think you posted the route about a few hundred pages ago. Do you mind reposting? I want to look at it from an aesthetics standpoint, as some are complaining that the wires will give an appearance of high voltage wires strung around the resort. My memory is that the wiring will hardly be seen from inside a park, and maybe not as apparent as some may think standing in a resort due to the approaches and angles. Thanks!
High voltage wires with REALLY BIG birds hanging by their feet.....;)

Blueliner

I believe I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but has any consideration been given to using an Eiffel Tower-theme for the last gondola tower before dropping down into the International Gateway terminal? It seems to me like Disney could take care of several sightline issues by building an Eiffel Tower structure around that last gondola tower. The only restriction would be that this gondola tower would need to line up pretty well with the existing roof-top Eiffel Tower in order to preserve the forced perspective from inside the park.

NormC

I don't think the sight lines from standing in WS will be too bad. The biggest concern will be the views from the gondola. But it is transportation. You are outside of the bubble.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
FTFY :) They'll have to do something about the Eiffel Tower issue. And although the Rat building will shield some views of backstage WS, I'm sure lots of trees will have to be planted around it on all sides to block views of behind Morocco through Japan.

I think a possible solution would be to move the tower to atop the Rat building to get it further away from the gondolas and leverage the forced perspective on Rat's frontispiece. They could put it a bit higher and put a smaller fake skyline in front of it. Like so...

1521217884653.png

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I believe I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but has any consideration been given to using an Eiffel Tower-theme for the last gondola tower before dropping down into the International Gateway terminal? It seems to me like Disney could take care of several sightline issues by building an Eiffel Tower structure around that last gondola tower. The only restriction would be that this gondola tower would need to line up pretty well with the existing roof-top Eiffel Tower in order to preserve the forced perspective from inside the park.
The tower that will cause the most issues will be on the waters edge of the canal to Crescent Lake. Physically out of the pavilion and the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom