News WDW Resorts to add fees for parking

lentesta

Premium Member
It’s not a complex system to implement. Either automatic or manual license plate reading at the gatehouse (for resorts that have one). This is matched up to you via your magic band or reservation check in which you have to give at the gatehouse on arrival.

For guests who don’t do this they get asked and told at check in. Any car in the car park at midnight that isn’t registered gets clamped.

OK. So now you'll be required to stop by the front desk and register your car. That defeats the entire purpose of MDE room alerts for everyone who drove. What if you have a car for only part of your stay? Do you have to make two trips to the front desk?

I find it unlikely that Disney is going to tow or clamp the car of a guest who forgets to register. Those kinds of situations will escalate very very quickly. No CM is getting paid to deal with that.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don’t even care what they’re charging for the rooms when it comes to this new policy. I always defend Disney by saying “Well, everyone else is doing it.”

This time that’s not true though, Yes, most hotels charge for parking.. but those hotels do not allow random non-overnight guests to park at their property either.
Nor do they often take something that has been free for 46 years and decide they can make another quick buck off it. Not that I’ll be staying on property but I know people who were.

DisneyJoe

OK. So now you'll be required to stop by the front desk and register your car. That defeats the entire purpose of MDE room alerts for everyone who drove. What if you have a car for only part of your stay? Do you have to make two trips to the front desk?

I find it unlikely that Disney is going to tow or clamp the car of a guest who forgets to register. Those kinds of situations will escalate very very quickly. No CM is getting paid to deal with that.
All they need to do is verify that a guest has a vehicle to turn on the automated charge on their folio - that can be done by the long range scanner at the gate tied into MDE. If they don't have a MagicBand, then they ask at the desk for the car info - do you know what percentage don't use a MB?

21stamps

ABSOLUTELY!

You understand that right @Kman101?

By saying that it's the norm and you don't like the norm and you don't like Disney lowering itself to the norm, you are effectively saying that you like the norm and you want Disney to operate as the norm despite what you clearly said previously.

What a pixie dust snorter....amirite @flynnibus?

:rolleyes:

This time it’s not the norm.. they’re doing their own thing completely.

Compare the obscenely crowded lobbies of the monorail resorts to a hotel that may be just as expensive, but has a mandatory valet.
I’m not tripping over people who aren’t staying there. Sure, there’s people visiting for dining at those resorts.. but not just to hang out.

And since there's no change to the day guest policy, that's apparently not going to change.

This is why I don’t understand it. Oh well.. I’ll boycott in 2018!!!

(Pay no attention to prior posts that state I’m not visiting in ‘18 anyway)

plutofan15

We normally rent a car when we visit because it is relatively inexpensive with available discounts and makes getting to parks other than MK faster and easier. Not so sure now - not going to pay almost as much to park the car than I am to rent it. I'm sure the car rental companies at MCO will take a least a small hit on their rental numbers.

Also, with fewer guests renting cars and driving to the parks, I hope Disney took into account the extra burden this is going to put on the transportation system with the added riders from those no longer having vehicles.

This is the one recent change that frosts my preserves.

Epcotfan21

I'm assuming they are going to ask at check in if you are parking a car, and then apply it to the bill. I don't see them installing hardware across the resort this quickly to do anything further.
This is what they do at Swan and Dolphin. When you check in at the Front Desk, they'll ask if you drove a car and self-parked or parked with valet, so I think you're right. This is exactly what they'll do for now.

drizgirl

This is why I don’t understand it. Oh well.. I’ll boycott in 2018!!!

(Pay no attention to prior posts that state I’m not visiting in ‘18 anyway)

To collect from day guests they would have to add staff to collect fees, issue passes, etc. They want the most money with the least hassle on their end. Collecting from onsite guests at check-in is easy and requires no additional staffing or infrastructure.

21stamps

We normally rent a car when we visit because it is relatively inexpensive with available discounts and makes getting to parks other than MK faster and easier. Not so sure now - not going to pay almost as much to park the car than I am to rent it. I'm sure the car rental companies at MCO will take a least a small hit on their rental numbers.

Also, with fewer guests renting cars and driving to the parks, I hope Disney took into account the extra burden this is going to put on the transportation system with the added riders from those no longer having vehicles.

This is the one recent change that frosts my preserves.

Do you really think this will have an impact on people driving/renting cars?

I kind of doubt it. I think people will grumble, but I can’t see a choice to forgo personal transportation if you need it.

21stamps

To collect from day guests they would have to add staff to collect fees, issue passes, etc. They want the most money with the least hassle on their end. Collecting from onsite guests at check-in is easy and requires no additional staffing or infrastructure.

They already have a booth anyway.. I don’t see why it would be difficult to implement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom