News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

RSoxNo1

Nemo is objectively as strong as any other FL dark ride. They just treat it like it’s a D. Same for Mermaid. Both fall short due to execution even though they both got some cool tech upgrades over their older brethren.
Personally I'd put Nemo at a C (with most of Fantasyland) but Mermaid at a D. The scope/scale of Mermaid is bigger than any other Fantasyland dark ride, and while there are numerous complaints from people on here, it's hard to argue the point of scope/scale, even if execution isn't as good as we'd like.

RSoxNo1

FWIW, the Jim Hill haters would like to know that he was the first to say Poppins and our insiders here all rejected it. It could be argued that he got lucky, but he (like he does so often) was on the Movie IP train and had it tied to Mary Poppins Returns in March of 2017. The first acknowledgement by an insider on here came a month later when @marni1971 acknowledged that it was one of the possibilities.

Having said all that, Jim later said this would be a Carousel.

SteamboatJoe

FWIW, the Jim Hill haters would like to know that he was the first to say Poppins and our insiders here all rejected it. It could be argued that he got lucky, but he (like he does so often) was on the Movie IP train and had it tied to Mary Poppins Returns in March of 2017. The first acknowledgement by an insider on here came a month later when @marni1971 acknowledged that it was one of the possibilities.

Guessing it was Poppins and saying it will be announced in a time when the new Poppins movie is still fresh in everyone's minds didn't really require any inside info. I think numerous "outsiders" on this board alone mentioned it as a good fit there. The insiders here do a great job and are very responsible.

shortstop

I have nothing against Jim Hill, but this seemed to be a case of on-again-off-again. Even if he was one of the first to say it was Poppins, at the time, he WAS in fact wrong. Seems like he only ended up being right in this instance because plans changed.

Again, nothing against Hill at all.

Clowd Nyne

Any chance that this will be the Mary Poppins jolly holiday ride that was originally planned for the Magic Kingdom’s opening day but got scrapped?

Jones14

Any chance that this will be the Mary Poppins jolly holiday ride that was originally planned for the Magic Kingdom’s opening day but got scrapped?
If you’re referring to Tony Baxter’s concept, and if i’m remembering properly, that was more his pitch to get into Imagineering than an attraction planned for actual implementation in the parks.

aladdin2007

I'm hoping this is more in the vein of NRJ (a great C ticket that people expect too much from) than those silly, quaint and outdated DL FL style dark rides.

I hope not, just went on it finally last week. Pretty yes, but also pretty pointless. I felt really bad for the people in the 100 minute standby line. It wasn't even worth the short fast pass wait and I knew ahead of time to not expect anything but this went way below that even.. Glad we got to finally see it for ourselves but there is no desire to try to ride it again. Would hate to see a true Poppins attraction wasted this way.

Kman101

I hope not, just went on it finally last week. Pretty yes, but also pretty pointless. I felt really bad for the people in the 100 minute standby line. It wasn't even worth the short fast pass wait and I knew ahead of time to not expect anything but this went way below that even.. Glad we got to finally see it for ourselves but there is no desire to try to ride it again. Would hate to see a true Poppins attraction wasted this way.

What would make the boat ride better (not snarky, I'm genuinely curious as I agree with you, somewhat; I don't dislike it and I'll go it again, but it's not worth a 100 minute wait)? It's very pretty and immersive (meaning when I look up I don't see a ceiling and lights), but yeah it's lacking something. I guess this probably isn't the thread for that though, lol ...

aladdin2007

What would make the boat ride better (not snarky, I'm genuinely curious as I agree with you, somewhat; I don't dislike it and I'll go it again, but it's not worth a 100 minute wait)? It's very pretty and immersive (meaning when I look up I don't see a ceiling and lights), but yeah it's lacking something. I guess this probably isn't the thread for that though, lol ...

True I don't want to get the thread off course, but I do agree with the bolded for sure.

EricsBiscuit

It's not missing anything to me. To me, the cheap cardboard cutout attractions are missing things.

Jones14

C Tickets should be zippy. There’s usually some nice, interesting stuff to look at in a C ticket, but there’s not enough room in the budget for everything to be nice and interesting, so the ride needs to move you through them quickly so you don’t realize just how many blank walls there are after that cool bouncing with Tigger scene.

Alice, Snow White, Pan, Winnie the Pooh, and even Frozen (for the most part, at least) are zippy. Mermaid and River Journey are not zippy. Of course, they have their own problems, but when you don’t have a lot of nice (Mermaid) or interesting (NRJ) things in your ride, making your guests look at them for longer doesn’t help.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom