Black Panther M&G coming in 2018

D

Deleted member 107043

My guess would be a Wakanda pavilion in World Showcase.

1381246454049210767.gif

I'm laughing because it's funny. Crying because it's something they would absolutely consider doing.

TP2000

The cool part...

That's at DCA, right? And those are ladies, right? They look so scary and stern. They really went all in for this too, shaving their heads instead of just wearing a fake wig cap. Wow.

A quick check on Google shows absolutely no Black Panther references currently at Walt Disney World, while there's a growing list of Disneyland references for this new meet and greet and mini-show with the scary ladies. So apparently they can't use Black Panther at Disney World. Interesting how that works.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's at DCA, right? And those are ladies, right? They look so scary and stern. They really went all in for this too, shaving their heads instead of just wearing a fake wig cap. Wow.

A quick check on Google shows absolutely no Black Panther references currently at Walt Disney World, while there's a growing list of Disneyland references for this new meet and greet and mini-show with the scary ladies. So apparently they can't use Black Panther at Disney World. Interesting how that works.

Yep, yep, yep, and yep...

Interesting update to the auditions for this:

Female Look-Alike from Black Panther: Dora Milaje: 5’6” – 6’ to play 20 – 35 years old.

Seeking athletically-built women to portray the personal bodyguards to Black Panther. This role will be type cast. If offered, must be willing to shave head.

Ismael Flores

So anything that exists or fictionally exists in Africa fits? No, that doesn't make sense. There has to be more that's causing people to think it's a good fit for DAK. And given how it's apparently the fact that the lead character dresses up as a black panther makes me laugh.

I don't agree that Pandora fits in the least bit either, by the way.

Possible new slogan....

Disney's Animal Kingdom, where we pay homage to the beautiful animals in our world, and the beautiful men who like to dress up as them.
Well a good portion of the movie was actually shot in Africa with its beautiful landscapes. Also add that the language used in the movie is an actual language used in Africa and all the other references to African culture and its people. yes there is one character that dresses as a Panther but as someone that has traveled around the world including Africa I can tell you that i saw tribes in parts of Africa where customs have men dressing up in costumes representing many of the wild animals they worship or use as part of their cultural practice.
So its more than just a mythical character and fictional place.
It is no different than the mythical character and place used for mount Everest

TP2000

Bingo. It’s obvious Disney World legally can’t use Black Panther in its parks, can’t even mention him. Probably can’t even sell t-shirts there. So why would anyone think they were going to build a Black Panther anything in Animal Kingdom?

What’s interesting is that this Black Panther movie is more than a late winter blockbuster, it’s a growing cultural phenom. And Disney World can’t use him? What a horrible deal that Marvel agreement is for the Florida parks. But Disneyland can do whatever it wants. How long will that go on before Disney gives in and pays off Universal?

Old Mouseketeer

The original GotG were part of the Avengers as well. But Disney found a way around that to bring GotG to Epcot. You'd think if Universal was being so strict on the "family" aspect of the contract that they prevent even the name GotG from being used.

So I wouldn't be surprised if they found a way around Black Panther being an Avenger.

Watch closely to see if WDW uses the Marvel name to promote GotG when it opens. This was the issue with Super Hero HQ and Summer of Heroes at DL and DCA. No Marvel name in advertising or on outside of buildings. Supposedly the Disney lawyers went through all of Marvel's licensing agreements with a fine tooth comb as soon as the merger went through.

D

Deleted member 107043

Bingo. It’s obvious Disney World legally can’t use Black Panther in its parks, can’t even mention him. Probably can’t even sell t-shirts there. So why would anyone think they were going to build a Black Panther anything in Animal Kingdom?

What’s interesting is that this Black Panther movie is more than a late winter blockbuster, it’s a growing cultural phenom. And Disney World can’t use him? What a horrible deal that Marvel agreement is for the Florida parks. But Disneyland can do whatever it wants. How long will that go on before Disney gives in and pays off Universal?

Universal seems to be in a trap in the sense that they will never be able to capitalize on new Marvel films like Black Panther in a big way because Disney is unlikely to ever allow USF to do anything more than sell merchandise for new Marvel films. The only benefit of Universal holding the license that I can think of is the Spiderman ride and that they are restricting Disney from using Marvel IP at WDW as ammunition in the Orlando "theme park wars". I think you're right to assume that sooner or later Disney is going to settle with Universal and break the agreement.

George Lucas on a Bench

Universal is content with Spider-Man, the Hulk coaster and walk-around characters that look accurate to the funny books. Why shouldn't they be? They're more successful than they've ever been and they're using properties that are now owned by Disney. They have a castle and a train to boot. It's like they're becoming the very thing they set out to compete with back in the late 80s. It couldn't be written any better. It's like a great novel.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Watch closely to see if WDW uses the Marvel name to promote GotG when it opens. This was the issue with Super Hero HQ and Summer of Heroes at DL and DCA. No Marvel name in advertising or on outside of buildings. Supposedly the Disney lawyers went through all of Marvel's licensing agreements with a fine tooth comb as soon as the merger went through.

My point was that Disney found a way around the "family" clause of the contract with regards to GotG. And if they wanted to I'm sure they can find around around it for Black Panther as well. I never mentioned the use of the Marvel name.

lazyboy97o

No need for a fine tooth comb. It’s right there at IV. B. 1. a. 1. iii. “East or West of The Mississippi - permitted uses shall be limited to the use of specific Marvel characters and Marvel may not permit a licensee to use the name ‘Marvel’ as part of the attraction name or marketing.”

Universal seems to be in a trap in the sense that they will never be able to capitalize on new Marvel films like Black Panther in a big way because Disney is unlikely to ever allow USF to do anything more than sell merchandise for new Marvel films. The only benefit of Universal holding the license that I can think of is the Spiderman ride and that they are restricting Disney from using Marvel IP at WDW as ammunition in the Orlando "theme park wars". I think you're right to assume that sooner or later Disney is going to settle with Universal and break the agreement.
Marvel (Disney) is not allowed to just reject everything Universal proposes. Rejections must be reasonable based on Marvel’s style guides. IMG Worlds of Adventure would have been subject to such constant rejection if possible.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
My point was that Disney found a way around the "family" clause of the contract with regards to GotG. And if they wanted to I'm sure they can find around around it for Black Panther as well. I never mentioned the use of the Marvel name.

Two ways that Disney might be loopholing GotG and Doctor Strange:

1. Parts of the contracts make it sound like if Universal doesn't use a character by a certain time, they lose access, even if the character is in the 'family' of a supergroup. GotG and Doctor Strange were never used by Universal. Whereas the rest of the MCU Avengers are or have been.​
2. While being a member of the Avengers or X-Men is like superhero jury duty in the Marvel comics... eventually everyone becomes a member as some point, even villains; both GotG's and Doctor Strange's association with those groups has been tangential. Strange joined "The New Avengers" which could be lawyered as not "The Avengers."​

This leaves Black Panther out as someone who joined the Avengers early in his comic book run and has appeared in Universal in some way.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Two ways that Disney might be loopholing GotG and Doctor Strange:

1. Parts of the contracts make it sound like if Universal doesn't use a character by a certain time, they lose access, even if the character is in the 'family' of a supergroup. GotG and Doctor Strange were never used by Universal. Whereas the rest of the MCU Avengers are or have been.​
2. While being a member of the Avengers or X-Men is like superhero jury duty in the Marvel comics... eventually everyone becomes a member as some point, even villains; both GotG's and Doctor Strange's association with those groups has been tangential. Strange joined "The New Avengers" which could be lawyered as not "The Avengers."​

This leaves Black Panther out as someone who joined the Avengers early in his comic book run and has appeared in Universal in some way.

Except the GotG were part of the Avengers family in the 60s. So that would again mean that it should be under the blanket "family" clause. Now this current team of GotG is different than the 60s members, but it should still cover the name.

Now where has Universal used Black Panther? I'm asking because I've never seen reference to him via Universal, so I'm curious if they really used him.

Anyways I think its all moot, because in the next couple years things will be shaken up. If and when the Fox deal gets done we may see all kinds of property swaps going on.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Except the GotG were part of the Avengers family in the 60s. So that would again mean that it should be under the blanket "family" clause. Now this current team of GotG is different than the 60s members, but it should still cover the name.

Now where has Universal used Black Panther? I'm asking because I've never seen reference to him via Universal, so I'm curious if they really used him.

Anyways I think its all moot, because in the next couple years things will be shaken up. If and when the Fox deal gets done we may see all kinds of property swaps going on.

Here..

Good thing Black Panther appears to be one of the Avengers in Universal's contract between this random mural in the Cap restaurant at IOA and Disney only having a Black Panther meet and greet on the West Coast at the moment.
CapDinerAntMan_glover-700x466.jpg

TP2000

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Here is the exact contract statement which is at play here:

"East of The Mississippi – any other theme park is limited to using characters not currently being used by MCA at the time such other license is granted. [For purpose of this subsection and subsection iv, a character is “being used by MCA” if (x) it or another character of the same “family” (e.g., any member of THE FANTASTIC FOUR, THE AVENGERS or villains associated with a hero being used) is more than an incidental element of an attraction, is presented as a costumed character, or is more than an incidental element of the theming of a retail store or food facility;"

The last part of that statement is in question with regard to Black Panther. Does his image on a random mural equate to more than just an incidental element of theming? I think a savvy lawyer (which Disney has many) could argue that this is incidental usage of the image. Especially since its a Capt America themed restaurant and not Avengers. So that would equate to incidental usage since Avengers is the not theme.

I will say though that I am not a lawyer, so who knows how it would play out in court.

Last edited:

FerretAfros

Wait, so this whole production in the street is just the lead-in for an indoor meet & greet? What an incredible waste of resources, in true Disney fashion.

They have a bunch of performers, a driver, and countless CMs doing crowd control for something that is an advertisement for a small-scale experience that can only be had by a few dozen guests per hour. As lame as most of their promotional stage shows have been recently, at least they had the ability to reach a wide audience with the same (or smaller) staffing requirements as this. Although Disney seems to think otherwise, meet & greets simply can't function like traditional attractions and have an incredibly narrow reach in a park filled with tens of thousands of guests each day.

They're also a really awkward way to do cross-promotion for a movie (partially funded by the film's marketing budget), since nobody who hasn't seen it is going to line up to meet a character from it. It's only after seeing the film that people want to interact with the characters. Just remember how short the waits were for the Frozen meet & greet at Epcot those first couple weeks before the film came out, before waits quickly ballooned to 5+ hours

But of course, the real loss here is that they're reusing the truck from Black Widow's tease of an entrance show. No more strutting her stuff up and down the street. No more sultry looks. Let's all take a moment to pause and remember what once was.
maxresdefault.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom