News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
List of possibilities:

Raging Spirits
Roaring Rapids (but without the mountain)
Camp Discovery (rope course)
African-themed theater complex (like Festival of Lion King at Hong Kong)
Polynesian-themed theater complex (like Moana show going at Hong Kong)
Mystic Manor
Shanghai Pirates

Any I'm forgetting?

Budget-wise, it's easiest to imagine the Main Street theater being swapped out for an Adventureland theater. But was it confirmed that it's going to be a ride?
IF the budget from the theatre was a straight swap it wouldn’t pay for any of the above rides except Raging Spirits.

Pray it’s not Raging Spirits.

Last edited:

CJR

I would be shocked if it's Mystic Manor, although happy. IMO Tron is closer to being like Space Mountain than Mystic Manor is to HM. After they went with Tron in TL, I will never say never again.

That said, Mystic Manor doesn't have a movie so it kind of goes against nearly everything else being added. It'd be a nice change of pace, but for that reason, I'm doubtful. Also, would the budget be similar? Mystic Manor seems like it'd be more expensive than a theater, but I'd probably be surprised.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I somehow doubt they would cancel the theater in favor of something that was going to cost significantly more money. As such, I would think you would automatically be able to cancel out any thoughts of something like Journey to the Center of the Earth, Mystic Manor, DL's Indiana Jones, or Shanghai's Pirates. Something more on the lines of the Pirates stunt show at Shanghai or Raging Spirits from Disney Sea would seem to be something that could cost similar to what the theater would have cost...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I would be shocked if it's Mystic Manor, although happy. IMO Tron is closer to being like Space Mountain than Mystic Manor is to HM. After they went with Tron in TL, I will never say never again.

That said, Mystic Manor doesn't have a movie so it kind of goes against nearly everything else being added. It'd be a nice change of pace, but for that reason, I'm doubtful. Also, would the budget be similar? Mystic Manor seems like it'd be more expensive than a theater, but I'd probably be surprised.
The theatre budget would not pay for MM.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
List of possibilities:

Raging Spirits
Mystic Manor
Shanghai Pirates

Any I'm forgetting?

Budget-wise, it's easiest to imagine the Main Street theater being swapped out for an Adventureland theater. But was it confirmed that it's going to be a ride?

I still like the idea of bringing the "Eye of the Storm" Pirates stunt show from Shanghai. Here's the main "action" segment from the show... it's a lot of fun, has some great effects... I dunno... I think it would work perfect for Adventure land...

britain

I haven't been on Raging Spirits proper. I have been on Temple du Peril, and while I know that it gets knocked around for knocking you around, I found it to be a fun addition. It's sort of serves the function at DLP that the Matterhorn does at DL: minimal story, great atmosphere, bumpy ride, wonderful views. I'd be fine with WDW getting that.

britain

I still like the idea of bringing the "Eye of the Storm" Pirates stunt show from Shanghai. Here's the main "action" segment from the show... it's a lot of fun, has some great effects... I dunno... I think it would work perfect for Adventure land...

You're right! I'll add to the original post.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
IF the budget from the theatre was a straight swap it wouldn’t pay for any of the above rides except Raging Spirits.

Pray it’s not Raging Spirits.

Indeed...

That's also assuming that they are eager to spend the money in the first place...

In case you're new to the game out there..."budget" means absolutely nothing in this context. Budget gets the kids hopes up.

What was the announced "budget" for fantasyland? What did they spend?

Same with toy story.

Buyer: beware.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I haven't been on Raging Spirits proper... minimal story, great atmosphere, bumpy ride, wonderful views....

...and a theoretical capacity around 880 pph (someone correct me if I did my math wrong)... wouldn't be the worst capacity ride at MK (similar capacity to Peter Pan, Buzz, and Winnie the Pooh), but would be BY FAR the worst capacity of the major coasters...

yensidtlaw1969

List of possibilities:

Raging Spirits
Mystic Manor
Shanghai Pirates: Battle for Sunken Treasure (boat ride)
Shanghai Pirates Stunt Show

Any I'm forgetting?

If the list is Adventureland attractions not featured in MK, Paris’ Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril also qualifies. Although Raging Spirits and Temple of Peril are the same ride with different dressing.

EDIT: Aaand I’m late to the game. Oops!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Indeed...

That's also assuming that they are eager to spend the money in the first place...

In case you're new to the game out there..."budget" means absolutely nothing in this context. Budget gets the kids hopes up.

What was the announced "budget" for fantasyland? What did they spend?

Same with toy story.

Buyer: beware.
Did they ever publically announce a TSL budget?

britain

If the list is Adventureland attractions not featured in MK, Paris’ Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril also qualifies. Although Raging Spirits and Temple of Peril are the same ride with different dressing.

True, but the poster at Universal Insider that started this guessing game is saying Indy IP isn't going to MK.

Bocabear

...and a theoretical capacity around 880 pph (someone correct me if I did my math wrong)... wouldn't be the worst capacity ride at MK (similar capacity to Peter Pan, Buzz, and Winnie the Pooh), but would be BY FAR the worst capacity of the major coasters...
But is capacity per hour the only thing that matters? adding a barely themed kit coaster is not going to make a great addition to the overall park appeal...Might as well add a second Barnstormer next to the first one...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I haven't been on Raging Spirits proper. I have been on Temple du Peril, and while I know that it gets knocked around for knocking you around, I found it to be a fun addition. It's sort of serves the function at DLP that the Matterhorn does at DL: minimal story, great atmosphere, bumpy ride, wonderful views. I'd be fine with WDW getting that.
It’s awful.

It’s an off the shelf mobile carnival ride that gives 60 seconds of moderate fun.

DLP 1993 needed a quick fix. WDW of 2018 should be way above that level.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
True, but the poster at Universal Insider that started this guessing game is saying Indy IP isn't going to MK.

Seems to further cement the idea of them having larger plans for Indy coming (eventually) to AK... then again, Disney has never had a problem using the same IP in multiple parks before, so that could just be wishful thinking on my part...

Bocabear

I agree completely... The Temple Du Peril always seemed like a temporary placeholder for the real attraction that was to come....Now if they had built a show building around it, added a pre and post show and some stunning in-ride effects, then Maybe it would be OK, but at that point it no longer is an off the rack kit coaster...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Did they ever publically announce a TSL budget?

I'd have to dig the archives. They don't do a lot of "official" announcements about money...mostly what they hand to the Sentinel/Times/OCR and what oozes out from the cracks to us.

I want to say $550 was thrown around originally...but the are spending at most half that...it appears. Muddled there though by site work.

I do remember that fool Rasulo saying something like $750 mil for fantasyland?

Where was the final tally? Somewhere around $400? And that was after they begrudgingly put the coaster in there (imagine what a flop that would be if they DIDNT?)

...I'm just giving caution to what "it" might be in MK...there's a legit chance there isn't gonna be an "it"...

Now I'll move on :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom