News New Theater to be built at the Magic Kingdom - now cancelled?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree completely... The Temple Du Peril always seemed like a temporary placeholder for the real attraction that was to come....Now if they had built a show building around it, added a pre and post show and some stunning in-ride effects, then Maybe it would be OK, but at that point it no longer is an off the rack kit coaster...

It's 100% off the shelf...euro was a budget nightmare..corners had to be cut.

But it works ok...not everything HAS to be some type of story arc wrapped in, around, and through an omnimover...

A little Coney Island can be a change of pace if it's a sidebar...

Can't be shoddy like chester and Hester though...

cosmicgirl

It’s awful.

It’s an off the shelf mobile carnival ride that gives 60 seconds of moderate fun.

DLP 1993 needed a quick fix. WDW of 2018 should be way above that level.
I wouldn't call it awful, but painful is the first word that comes to mind. We enjoyed DLP's Indy in its early years, mainly for the views indeed but you already had to watch out with your neck and ears then. When they made it go backwards the discomfort increased exponentionally and I only rode it once or twice. When they flipped it again I rode it one more time, but it simply isn't worth the pain anymore. I could not see an exact clone of this ride doing well in a lawsuit-prone country.

I agree completely... The Temple Du Peril always seemed like a temporary placeholder for the real attraction that was to come....Now if they had built a show building around it, added a pre and post show and some stunning in-ride effects, then Maybe it would be OK, but at that point it no longer is an off the rack kit coaster...

We always enjoyed the open air aspect, again, for the views. The queue was simpler than, say, BTM but we still enjoyed the props and vegetation. It was nice to get to enjoy that area of Adventureland in a different way than a walkthrough (like Adventure Isle and the treehouse).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Seems to further cement the idea of them having larger plans for Indy coming (eventually) to AK... then again, Disney has never had a problem using the same IP in multiple parks before, so that could just be wishful thinking on my part...

The problem with Indy - and it would be a perfect successor to dinoland - is with the Indy IP...

It's not 1989 and they have to rebuild it after george...and that's harder than Star Wars because the IP is one aging actor. Tough call.

And i swear this is true - but no one believes me yet - but disney is struggling with Star Wars. It's a Lucasfilm developing crisis. You heard it here first? Wait and see...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s awful.

It’s an off the shelf mobile carnival ride that gives 60 seconds of moderate fun.

The problem is WDI can't get anything into vertical construction without running up a $500 mil tab these days...

I'm getting old..:I'll back off my WDI principles occasionally moving forward if it gets me a grand opening more than once every 12 years in each park.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's all well and good, except the record that Black Panther beat for pre-sales... Justice League (40% on rotten tomatoes).

Honestly...and I'm a burr under my saddle critic...

I enjoyed justice league just as much if not more than ragnarok and wayyy more than a certain misguided space opera I saw recently...

...and I'll thank you to leave Gal out of it...thank your very much...

Kingtut

List of possibilities:

Raging Spirits
Roaring Rapids (but without the mountain)
Camp Discovery (rope course)
African-themed theater complex (like Festival of Lion King at Hong Kong)
Polynesian-themed theater complex (like Moana show going at Hong Kong)
Mystic Manor
Shanghai Pirates: Battle for Sunken Treasure (boat ride)
Shanghai Pirates Stunt Show

Any I'm forgetting?

Budget-wise, it's easiest to imagine the Main Street theater being swapped out for an Adventureland theater. But was it confirmed that it's going to be a ride?
My guess would be "Spaceballs 2 - The Search for More Money" Adventure Ride - it would take you on a spirited journey through space and turn you upside down collecting the change that falls out of your pockets. What could be more of today's Disney than that?

Magic Feather

#1: How have we not discussed the brilliance of Sinbad’s Storybook Voyage as a potential suitor. (Not happening, but a guy can dream)

IF the budget from the theatre was a straight swap it wouldn’t pay for any of the above rides except Raging Spirits.

Pray it’s not Raging Spirits.

#2: The way this was explained to me was as bump in budget and priority to another project on the West Side or MK. I would personally doubt RS coming (although I might be ok with it if we got Tokyo’s super cushy headrests and it was tucked waaaaaaay back), but it would fit and would be cheap, and WDW has considered putting in a ride akin to it in waaaay too many places waaay too many times.

Kman101

It’s awful.

I hope we are!

We don't need yet ANOTHER coaster.

If said coaster were attached to a massive dark ride I wouldn't be upset but I know that would never be the case these days.

Kman101

Ugh I loathe the idea of the Pirates stunt show. Another thing to do once and never do again.

I agree. I'd rather have the Main Street Theater if this is an option. I have nothing against it but not when they could be adding a whole slew of other things. Maybe if the park were where it should be I'd be open to the stunt show. But not right now.

trainplane3

#1: How have we not discussed the brilliance of Sinbad’s Storybook Voyage as a potential suitor. (Not happening, but a guy can dream)

#2: The way this was explained to me was as bump in budget and priority to another project on the West Side or MK. I would personally doubt RS coming (although I might be ok with it if we got Tokyo’s super cushy headrests and it was tucked waaaaaaay back), but it would fit and would be cheap, and WDW has considered putting in a ride akin to it in waaaay too many places waaay too many times.
It's disappointing it has a meh reputation. You'd think for being a Intamin ride that it'd be better, smoothness wise.

RSoxNo1

Honestly...and I'm a burr under my saddle critic...

I enjoyed justice league just as much if not more than ragnarok and wayyy more than a certain misguided space opera I saw recently...

...and I'll thank you to leave Gal out of it...thank your very much...
Admittedly I haven't seen Justice League, but I was indifferent towards Batman V Superman and Wonder Woman. DC hasn't hit on the "dark" comic book movie since Christopher Nolan stopped being involved.

Ragnarok was an awesome buddy comedy. It wasn't Civil War or the first Avengers but I really enjoyed it. Guardians 2 was good, but not great (I assume you were talking about that and not Last Jedi). It's biggest weakness IMO was changing Drax's personality. If they hadn't done that as much I think I would have liked it more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom