A Spirited 15 Rounds ...

Nubs70

Is that a pejorative SJW comment or a positive affirmation?
Pejorative.

Let's face it.

We all work hard, feel like we are overworked, underpaid, and not appreciated. Well, that is life. Work is being paid for things you do not like to do.

I go to movies to be educated and entertained not to have the realities of life reinforced.

SJW "nuggets" are just fairy tale wishes. If one set their hopes and aspirations on these nuggets, one can look forward to a life of disappointment.

Nubs70

One of my main problems with defending this developing dumpster fire is that when people say "it will be addressed later..."

Ummm...when? You've burned 2/3 of your run time and Set up other dead ends that have to be now "addressed"...

This plot line/characters doesn't carry 2 movies...let alone more. How awful will Star Wars be if they try to make 6 of These?...it will be diluted to the point that it won't be recognized as such anymore. Just more box office filler.

A good movie will explain foreshadowed content later within the same movie and refer back to previous movies to provide context. Unlike the current trend of hopeful foreshadowing to the next movie and firebombing context developed in previous movies.

njDizFan

Pejorative.

Let's face it.

We all work hard, feel like we are overworked, underpaid, and not appreciated. Well, that is life. Work is being paid for things you do not like to do.

I go to movies to be educated and entertained not to have the realities of life reinforced.

SJW "nuggets" are just fairy tale wishes. If one set their hopes and aspirations on these nuggets, one can look forward to a life of disappointment.
Everyone has different ideas of what they consider entertainment. If you feel you are being preached to by the films or TV you watch, and those values are not consistent with your ideals I can see how that could be inflammatory. I think the best forms of art are the variations that make you think, sometimes it can even make you uncomfortable, even better...in my opinion. Art should break down barriers and attempt to make you see the world differently and strive to make you feel.

Now I'm not going to see the new Star Wars movie or another popcorn flic (I would generally not go to the movies to see that type of film anyway) for the social politics. But I'm unclear how working towards a better world is necessarily asking for disappointment. Isn't that what activism and moral beliefs are for? Or should we always expect the status quo? Are you saying Christopher Robin is depressed and should just suck it up and not want a life with more meaning and joy for him and his family? Or maybe I'm just too unfamiliar with the term SJW nugget.

lazyboy97o

Synopsis for Disney's Christopher Robin has finally come out.

In the heartwarming live action adventure “Disney’s Christopher Robin,” the young boy who embarked on countless adventures in the Hundred Acre Wood with his band of spirited and lovable stuffed animals, has grown up and lost his way. Now it is up to his childhood friends to venture into our world and help Christopher Robin remember the loving and playful boy who is still inside.
Christopher Robin is stuck in a job where he is overworked, underpaid and facing an uncertain future. He has a family of his own, but his work has become his life, leaving little time for his wife and daughter, and he has all but forgotten his idyllic childhood spent with a simple-minded, honey-loving stuffed bear and his friends. But when he is reunited with Winnie the Pooh, now tattered and soiled from years of hugs and play, a spark is rekindled, and he is reminded of the endless days of childlike wonder and make believe that defined his youth, when doing nothing could be considered something. Following an unfortunate mishap with Christopher Robin’s briefcase, Pooh and the rest of the gang including Piglet, Eeyore and Tigger, step out of the forest and into London to return the crucial possessions…because best friends will always be there for you.
“Disney’s Christopher Robin” is directed by Golden Globe® nominee Marc Forster (“Finding Neverland”) and written by Oscar® winner Tom McCarthy (“Spotlight”), Alex Ross Perry (“Golden Exits”) and Oscar nominee Allison Schroeder (“Hidden Figures”) based on characters created by A.A. Milne. The producers are Brigham Taylor (“The Jungle Book”) and Kristin Burr (“Ice Princess”) with Reneé Wolfe and Jeremy Johns serving as executive producers. The film stars multiple Golden Globe and Emmy® nominee Ewan McGregor (“Fargo”) as Christopher Robin; Golden Globe nominee Hayley Atwell (“Agent Carter”) as his wife Evelyn; Bronte Carmichael as his daughter Madeline; and Emmy winner Mark Gatiss (“Sherlock”) as Keith Winslow, Robin’s boss. The film also features the voices of: Jim Cummings (“Winnie the Pooh”) as Winnie the Pooh; Chris O’Dowd (“Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children”) as Tigger; three-time Emmy® winner Brad Garrett (“Everybody Loves Raymond”) as Eeyore; Toby Jones (“Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets”) as Owl; Nick Mohammed (“The Martian”) as Piglet; Peter Capaldi (“Dr. Who”) as Rabbit; and Oscar® nominee Sophie Okonedo (“The Secret Life of Bees”) as Kanga.
This just sounds crass. Christopher Milne was a real person who had real opinions on the Winnie-the-Pooh stories.

Nubs70

Everyone has different ideas of what they consider entertainment. If you feel you are being preached to by the films or TV you watch, and those values are not consistent with your ideals I can see how that could be inflammatory. I think the best forms of art are the variations that make you think, sometimes it can even make you uncomfortable, even better...in my opinion. Art should break down barriers and attempt to make you see the world differently and strive to make you feel.

Now I'm not going to see the new Star Wars movie or another popcorn flic (I would generally not go to the movies to see that type of film anyway) for the social politics. But I'm unclear how working towards a better world is necessarily asking for disappointment. Isn't that what activism and moral beliefs are for? Or should we always expect the status quo? Are you saying Christopher Robin is depressed and should just suck it up and not want a life with more meaning and joy for him and his family? Or maybe I'm just too unfamiliar with the term SJW nugget.
We should not accept the status quo. We should strive for something new. If story writers pander to the perpetually offended, how long before the majority demographic becomes tired?

AEfx

Finn really does not add to the story in any way for me. He is just a normal guy with not much experience in anything. Han Solo was a normal guy with no special powers but at least had a cool background of smuggler/bandit and had Chewie and the Falcon. Finn is like Sheia LAbouff in Transformers, he just screams a lot.

Oh, that's simplifying him too much - he also repeatedly comes up with really bad plans (that fail), and is a massive horn-dog who makes goo-goo eyes at every girl he meets, apparently.

It's not hard to see why, more than anyone else, his merchandise (figures, etc.) just sit collecting literal dust on the shelves. He is an okay pilot (though both Poe and Rey are better), and when he tries to be heroic he just screws things up. He is the Jar Jar of the sequel trilogy.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Oh, that's simplifying him too much - he also repeatedly comes up with really bad plans (that fail), and is a massive horn-dog who makes goo-goo eyes at every girl he meets, apparently.

It's not hard to see why, more than anyone else, his merchandise (figures, etc.) just sit collecting literal dust on the shelves. He is an okay pilot (though both Poe and Rey are better), and when he tries to be heroic he just screws things up. He is the Jar Jar of the sequel trilogy.
Spot on assessment.

Sped2424

No, try again.
You do realize that to bolster your own low opinion of TLJ, that you're justifying it by pointing out other people with a low opinion, namely the RT user score and the China box office, right?

And do you also realize that those two indicators are outliers?

The online poll at IMDB showed about an 80% approval compared to RT's 50% (and they had more users 'voting'). So, which is right? What we need is a scientific sampling, and there were three done. Two gave it an 80% approval. And Cinemascore gave it an A.

And the critics' scores from RT and Metacritic was 80%.

So, that takes care of the RT users score. What about China box office? Yes, TLJ tanked in China. And nowhere else. Without China TLJ was tracking internationally at 66% of TFA, which is on par for Episodes 5 and 2 compared to Episodes 4 and 1.

Cherry picking one country and one score to make the point it wasn't well received is hilarious. Even funnier is using China's low box office to make the point that the movie which is currently at number 10 worldwide box office of all time is unpopular.
Perhaps you should try again

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom