News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

trainplane3

Im just seeing this on Wikipedia. Haven’t seen any news or rumors surrounding it so am very skeptical of it. Also when I was at Imagination last week didn’t see any sign of a sponsorship from Sony.

View attachment 257115
First off, completely doubting Sony would sponsor something. Their gaming division is doing pretty good while their film division is floundering (apparently).
Secondly: if I take my glasses off (which blurs everything after a foot from my eyes) and maybe have a drink or 5, Spyro does kind of look like Figment
latest

smile

It’s not crying. It’s the opinion that very little has come close to matching it since. That’s the lasting impact it had.

amen -
unfortunately, i also can't shake the lasting impact of the profound sadness i felt riding her in late 98 either
:arghh:

Last edited:

CJR

their film division is floundering (apparently).

Thanks to Jumanji, it topped over a billion dollars last year. I'd say Sony's doing pretty OK.

That said, it'd be a very odd sponsor since it's kind of a competitor to Disney in some regards. I've learned to "never say never", but I think there's areas of Epcot that could land a sponsor much more easier than Imagination. Mission: Space, for example, would be a better fit for Sony imo.

Clamman73

If they took away Splash I would almost assuredly be "whining" about it in 20 years time. It's having a great run but if or when it does close I'll be memorializing it with fond remembrance... the same way folks remember Horizons.

I never got to witness Horizons. Thankfully videos do it justice. It looked like a unique quality darkride.
The videos do some justice to it...but the dimension of the scenes and moving to different elevations can't really be conveyed in the video...what a shame the earth was sinking....LOL

Hatbox Ghostbuster

It’s not crying. It’s the opinion that very little has come close to matching it since. That’s the lasting impact it had.

Maybe you had to experience it to understand. I don’t know.
I think that's it exactly.

Even with all the videos in the world, it's pretty much impossible to have a deep personal sense of nostalgia for something you never experienced firsthand.

smile

I think that's it exactly.

Even with all the videos in the world, it's pretty much impossible to have a deep personal sense of nostalgia for something you never experienced firsthand.

agreed, but i have somewhat of an issue with the word 'nostalgia' -
while its use is technically true, it goes beyond just lamenting the 'once was' by lamenting, most importantly, the quality of the once was.

we miss them, chiefly, because they were of a quantifiably better quality, not merely because they're gone - a distinction, i feel, that's sometimes lost when the word 'nostalgia' is tossed around.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

agreed, but i have somewhat of an issue with the word 'nostalgia' -
while its use is technically true, it goes beyond just lamenting the 'once was' by lamenting, most importantly, the quality of the once was.

we miss them, chiefly, because they were of a quantifiably better quality, not merely because they're gone - a distinction, i feel, that's sometimes lost when the word 'nostalgia' is tossed around.
Oh no doubt. I guess I was using nostalgia in the broader sense of "when things used to be great". We have rarely seen WDI pull off such feats of both creativity and technical achievement since.

FigmentJedi

Someone with very little Wiki editing history added that onto the page. Another editor made it 'citation needed.' Still no citation, and no discussion of it in the Talk section.

Very dubious.
I mean a few weeks ago, I ended up taking apart the edits of someone who was very insistent on a Narnia anime produced by Osamu Tezuka's studio recently being a thing

larandtra

I think lots of guests who go enough and have been going for ages could likely come up with ideas that would make absolute sense as it pertains to improving each park. The ideas above have been talked about along with moving attractions from one park to another, etc. Im not sure the grand scheme ever coincides with the plans knowledgeable fans create and that is unfortunate because ideas that have been tossed about on any number of threads on these boards would make so much more sense than some of the things the parks are doing now. However, I do have a small glimmer of hope for impactful and creative change coming following management shakeup and realignment. I have my own thoughts on what would improve ALL of the parks by adding attractions and what, moving attractions, and retheming or cleaning up theming. But, Im also aware 99.999% of it would never happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom