News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
He has been getting information from an "alleged Imagineer's" Instagram account, so this might be part of that?

His source gives us concept art, which could be a fan's fevered dreams, or, it can be real. But, since concept art changes... we'll never know.

His source has been telling us stuff our insiders already have revealed, including this info about "Epcot World Center". Same with a recent 'revelation' that the UK ride will be Mary Poppins. Our insiders told us that a month ago. So... there really isn't anything breaking here except...

Adopt-a-Porg. That's the one thing brand new from this source. None of our insiders have confirmed or denied this.

So... grain of salt for now.

EPICOT

Tweet from Mickey Views. I take it with a few grains of salt.

So, according to this rumor from Mickey Views, the Future World name would stay, but the current Innoventions plaza (and whatever it is remodeled into) will be called EPCOT World Center? That totally won't be confusing to guests. World Showcase. World Center. Just sounds too similar for it to be immediately understandable to the average guest.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, according to this rumor from Mickey Views, the Future World name would stay, but the current Innoventions plaza (and whatever it is remodeled into) will be called EPCOT World Center? That totally won't be confusing to guests. World Showcase. World Center. Just sounds too similar for it to be immediately understandable to the average guest.

Actually, he's saying that Future World as a name is going, but his source doesn't say what it will be. Which is what @marni1971 was saying over a year ago. Which, again, goes to my point that this source really isn't giving us anything new.

And is World Center v. World Showcase any more confusing than World Showcase v. World Showcase Plaza?

EPICOT

Actually, he's saying that Future World as a name is going, but his source doesn't say what it will be. Which is what @marni1971 was saying over a year ago. Which, again, goes to my point that this source really isn't giving us anything new.

And is World Center v. World Showcase any more confusing than World Showcase v. World Showcase Plaza?

Yes. World Showcase Plaza is a plaza located within World Showcase, so it makes sense to name the plaza after the land.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Yes. World Showcase Plaza is a plaza located within World Showcase, so it makes sense to name the plaza after the land.
Speculating on a couple of possibilities here:

1. The insiders here mentioned the possibility that Epcot's name may be changed (but will still contain the word "Epcot"). What if Epcot is renamed "Epcot World" and then you have "Epcot World Center" and "Epcot World Showcase" among other subdivision "lands" like it looks like their dividing East vs west?
  2. Or, what if the "Epcot World Center" on the permit is actually the new name for the entire park?

aladdin2007

Speculating on a couple of possibilities here:

1. The insiders here mentioned the possibility that Epcot's name may be changed (but will still contain the word "Epcot"). What if Epcot is renamed "Epcot World" and then you have "Epcot World Center" and "Epcot World Showcase" among other subdivision "lands" like it looks like their dividing East vs west?
  2. Or, what if the "Epcot World Center" on the permit is actually the new name for the entire park?

I hope the same happens here with what was announced with the Hollywood Studios name, LEAVING IT ALONE. Although returning it to Epcot Center I would be fine with.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I hope the same happens here with what was announced with the Hollywood Studios name, LEAVING IT ALONE. Although returning it to Epcot Center I would be fine with.
I'd be OK with keeping it Epcot, Epcot Center, Epcot World, Epcot World Center, any of those seem fine to me. I also am not opposed to a renaming of DHS as long as it's good - which Cinemagine most definately was not. But Disney Hollywood Adventure, Disney Hollywoodland, in my mind would have been fine choices. Although leaving it as DHS is fine with me as well.

As long as they don't do something crazy like Disney Futuremagine park or Disney Discoverymaina Park. Keep Epcot in the name.

NoChesterHester

Hollywood Studios is generic and unless you have been there it is forgettable. Heck I know lots of folks that still call it “MGM.”

On the other hand, Epcot at this point is nearly ubiquitous. No reason to change it. I don’t know of any non-initiated folks that don’t know what it is.

HauntedMansionFLA

Update from Japan D23

The “Guardians of the Galaxy”-inspired coaster is part of our ongoing work to transform Epcot into a place that’s more family, more relevant, more timeless and more Disney. “

MerlinTheGoat

21jnvl.jpg

I mean, wow, they're really just saying and doing ALL the wrong things with EPCOT. With such ridiculous statements, it's as if they're deliberately spitting on the grave of the original park. And in the faces of everyone who loved it.

Casper Gutman

That’s exactly what they said last October.

It was a cop out then, and a cop out now.
I mean - if being "Disney" means embodying the ideas, passions, and foibles of Walt Disney, EPCOT is already the most Disney park in Florida (or it was) - far moreso than WDW's MK. So that statement is even more insulting, tone-deaf nonsense than I thought at first glance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom