News UCF Peach Bowl/National Championship Parade

jt04

Right, the “real” national champions. Claiming this title is so stupid.

Are there flaws with the CFP committee? 100%. And I constantly call out those flaws..but, it’s at least an improvement over the BCS.. hopefully soon we will see an expanded playoff.

Right now.. it’s a 4 team playoff. I don’t agree with Alabama being there.. but they are.

UCF had an undefeated season and post season.. they rightly earned an undefeated title and a Peach Bowl trophy.

They are NOT the national champions.

Yes, an "elite 8" playoff system is easily accomplished and overdue.

Horizons1

I wonder if the parade will be as fake as this no-name school’s “national championship” title. I think other schools should call themselves the national champions too. In fact, by ucf’s standards everyone is the national champ! Yay! Look at us! We participated! A no name school like this doesnt deserve to play with the big boys. Sorry ucf, but you don’t have what it takes, even when you have a perfect season against all but one cupcake teams. What an embarrassing move by a school that is desperate for attention. I’ve never heard of ucf but I’d be embarrassed to be a fan or student because of this. Enjoy your wins, but when the hottest girl in school turns down your offer to prom, don’t go around claiming you took her to the dance.

Last edited:

21stamps

I wonder if the parade will be as fake as this no-name school’s “national championship” title. I think other schools should call themselves the national champions too. In fact, by ucf’s standards everyone is the national champ! What an embarrassing move by a school that is desperate for attention.

Maybe they’ll get better recruits now that they have a sign declaring themselves “National Champs”.

Could you imagine the convo- “Come play for us, we were National Champs last year.”

“ Wait, I watched that game, (insert Bama/GA winner here) won the championship.”

“But we have a sign that declares us the Champs!! Made and gifted to us by our own organization.”

The power 5 schools better keep an eye on their high school talent pool. ;)

Horizons1

Maybe they’ll get better recruits now that they have a sign declaring themselves “National Champs”.

The power 5 schools better keep an eye on their high school talent pool. ;)
If anything, this just gives the P5 another reason to not expand the playoff. They can cite the desperation of pathetic schools like ucf. I know their conference is bad, but this school is just making it worse.

21stamps

If anything, this just gives the P5 another reason to not expand the playoff. They can cite the desperation of pathetic schools like ucf. I know their conference is bad, but this school is just making it worse.

I just want to know if they’re having a trophy made as well. :hilarious:

Is Disney actually going to go along with this “National Champion” foolishness? As in signs on floats?
Hopefully they just leave it as a Peach Bowl parade.

Horizons1

I just want to know if they’re having a trophy made as well. :hilarious:

Is Disney actually going to go along with this “National Champion” foolishness? As in signs on floats?
Hopefully they just leave it as a Peach Bowl parade.
Is Disney putting this on or is uc who paying for this?

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
I did the Googling you requeted and I think you need to do it as well. It looks like there is no NCAA National Championship game scheduled. The NCAA does not sanction a "National Championship" game in Div 1 BCS college football. Infact, I'll do you one better and link you to the Wikipedia article that explains how College football national championships work, which under that, UCF qualifies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_football_national_championships_in_NCAA_Division_I_FBS

I agree its a bit of a crazy way to do it, but thats the system we have, if you don't like it, fight for it to be changed, but we can't take it away from UCF who earned their national championship on the field. Under NCAA rules, we're looking at a split national championship, just like we have had in 2003, 1997, etc...

For those who claim UCF didn't earn it, what is your philosophy? They were predetermined to lose no matter what happens before the season even started? Only a few traditional powerhouses should be considered for the title regardless of what happens on the field? And how do you explain the 30+ times this has happened in the past?

Just curious, are you trolling by any chance? Because your claim of there being no National Championship Game is out there...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400953415

Now, if the BCS were still a thing, which it's not, they would have a claim to the National Championship. The BCS was replaced in favorite of the current playoff format in 2014 and if the game was still decided by computers and writers, then they'd have a case. But it's not so they don't. Don't link to something and tell people that's how the rules are, when in fact, those rules were replaced 2-3 years ago.

UCF

Just curious, are you trolling by any chance? Because your claim of there being no National Championship Game is out there...

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400953415

Now, if the BCS were still a thing, which it's not, they would have a claim to the National Championship. The BCS was replaced in favorite of the current playoff format in 2014 and if the game was still decided by computers and writers, then they'd have a case. But it's not so they don't. Don't link to something and tell people that's how the rules are, when in fact, those rules were replaced 2-3 years ago.
Look carefully at your link. The name is "CFP NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP" game on the link you provided, NOT the NCAA National Championship game.

According to the NCAA, there is no NCAA sanctioned NCAA National Championship game. The "College Football Playoff National Championship" game is the national championship for the 4 teams invited to play in the CFP invitational competition, which has nothing to do with the NCAA, but is just chosen by committee. The NCAA says schools may claim a "national title" if they are ranked as #1 by any of the NCAA recognized 30+ selectors, which UCF has done. I believe 4 of the NCAA selectors promised to award their #1 ranking to the CFP winner, but at the same time, many others are based completely on what the computer says is the best team, and not the opinions of a committee. And those computers, officially recognized by the NCAA as a selector of those who can claim a national title, are picking UCF as #1, which makes them a national champion, just like USC in 2003, and Alabama many times in the past.

For those claiming the national powerhouses would be made fun of for doing such a move, Auburn 3 years ago created a committee to determine if they should declare 3 additional national championships based on certain polls having them #1 in past years. And Alabama did the same and added 3 additional ones, including those not even recognized by the NCAA. I agree its a crappy system, but its the rules Alabama plays by, that Auburn plays by, Georgia plays by, and now, UCF decided they will play by the same rules as well.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
It's still the National Championship regardless of how it's done, whether it be by voting or the actual playoff. The history of the title includes the BCS era and the CFP era. The BCS era is no more. If Alabama wins, they aren't going to recognize the championship as something completely different. That's like saying the sponsorship eras in NASCAR are completely different even though it's the same drivers more or less.

21stamps

Look carefully at your link. The name is "CFP NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP" game on the link you provided, NOT the NCAA National Championship game.

According to the NCAA, there is no NCAA sanctioned NCAA National Championship game. The "College Football Playoff National Championship" game is the national championship for the 4 teams invited to play in the CFP invitational competition, which has nothing to do with the NCAA, but is just chosen by committee. The NCAA says schools may claim a "national title" if they are ranked as #1 by any of the NCAA recognized 30+ selectors, which UCF has done. I believe 4 of the NCAA selectors promised to award their #1 ranking to the CFP winner, but at the same time, many others are based completely on what the computer says is the best team, and not the opinions of a committee. And those computers, officially recognized by the NCAA as a selector of those who can claim a national title, are picking UCF as #1, which makes them a national champion, just like USC in 2003, and Alabama many times in the past.

For those claiming the national powerhouses would be made fun of for doing such a move, Auburn 3 years ago created a committee to determine if they should declare 3 additional national championships based on certain polls having them #1 in past years. And Alabama did the same and added 3 additional ones, including those not even recognized by the NCAA. I agree its a crappy system, but its the rules Alabama plays by, that Auburn plays by, Georgia plays by, and now, UCF decided they will play by the same rules as well.

You’re not using accurate examples. The claimed titles happened years after the fact..based on how college football rankings used to be. I’ve said that repeatedly, it’s still true this time.

When it happened under BCS it’s because one of the MAJOR polls had a different team as #1.

There were many flaws to the BCS system.. which is why it was finally replaced.

There is no way that we can have more than one “National Champion” under today’s system.

This is a joke, a sad joke. UCF had a fantastic season, but now they are tarnishing that season with this utterly ridiculous claim.
They deserve to be a laughing stock at this point.

NearTheEars

You’re not using accurate examples. The claimed titles happened years after the fact..based on how college football rankings used to be. I’ve said that repeatedly, it’s still true this time.

When it happened under BCS it’s because one of the MAJOR polls had a different team as #1.

There were many flaws to the BCS system.. which is why it was finally replaced.

There is no way that we can have more than one “National Champion” under today’s system.

This is a joke, a sad joke. UCF had a fantastic season, but now they are tarnishing that season with this utterly ridiculous claim.
They deserve to be a laughing stock at this point.

While I don’t agree with all the folks mocking @UCF the poster and UCF the school, the point above still seems lost on the poster. The new system is designed to eliminate the chance of having split titles. That was the whole point of finally creating a playoff system.

All of the shady titles being claimed by others years after the fact all happened years ago under a system where several polls and organizations awarded titles.

21stamps

While I don’t agree with all the folks mocking @UCF the poster and UCF the school, the point above still seems lost on the poster. The new system is designed to eliminate the chance of having split titles. That was the whole point of finally creating a playoff system.

All of the shady titles being claimed by others years after the fact all happened years ago under a system where several polls and organizations awarded titles.

I think the worst offense, for me, is that UCF- the school, knows this. Yet they are claiming a National Title. Don’t discredit your season by acting foolish.. let your record and accomplishments speak for themselves. The rest is just noise, and not a good kind.

rreading

I’m a bit amazed that so many are so perturbed by this idea.

A bit of history that all of us know (and while this may sound pedantic, I’m not intending it to be so):

For most of a century, college football ended its season with a number of bowl games. At the end of the season, there were often a number of teams who were declared “National Champions.” IIRC, I believe that as many as six were declared within one year.

Sometimes, those teams lost more than one game in a year (prior to LSU recently) and yet were still declared National Champions.

The BCS just created one bowl to rule them all. But it clearly didn’t encompass the teams deserving. Nor does this one.

Thus, as per the history of the sport supports, there is no legitimate reason that UCF shouldn’t accept the title of National Champion if it is offered to them. Their season supports it; the NCAA doesn’t deny it to them; and until a clear champion can be declared, they have as good a claim as one of the SEC schools.

(FWIW, my alma mater is UT Austin)

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

A bit of history that all of us know (and while this may sound pedantic, I’m not intending it to be so):

For most of a century, college football ended its season with a number of bowl games. At the end of the season, there were often a number of teams who were declared “National Champions.” IIRC, I believe that as many as six were declared within one year.

Sometimes, those teams lost more than one game in a year (prior to LSU recently) and yet were still declared National Champions.

The BCS just created one bowl to rule them all. But it clearly didn’t encompass the teams deserving. Nor does this one.

Thus, as per the history of the sport supports, there is no legitimate reason that UCF shouldn’t accept the title of National Champion if it is offered to them. Their season supports it; the NCAA doesn’t deny it to them; and until a clear champion can be declared, they have as good a claim as one of the SEC schools.

Again, that was during the BCS era, and the playoff being established was to get rid of all of that.

21stamps

The poster above already said part of what I was going to be respond.

The thing is, they weren’t “offered the title of National Champion”. They claimed it themselves. They did this knowing that there will be an actual national champion declared shortly.

Their season doesn’t support a National Championship. They had an undefeated season, a great season for sure, but in a weak conference. It ends with the Peach Bowl trophy, great accomplishment, but not national champ. There’s a lot more than just a W or L when it comes to college football.

Horizons1

Major LOL at anyone who says they have never heard of UCF? The second largest in the great USA in terms of enrollment?? Where have you been living, under a rock? If you wanna talk about a school no one knows about, try my alma mater Appalachian State. Now that's an obscure school ;)
So you’re saying it’s either Safety School U or We Take Anyone U.

tribbleorlfl

Original Poster
And while I realize the conversation got sidetracked with the "National Championship" talk, why did this thread get moved to Chit Chat? Is it not News that Disney is throwing them a parade on Sunday at the Magic Kingdom? Are you going to add to the news section on the Homepage, @wdwmagic ?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom