So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 16: Purists vs. Innovators (Official Hub Thread!)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
This is still one of my favorite videos of yours:p -- and considering @TheOriginalTiki 's recent experiences he might get a kick out of it.

Hah!

You know, at one point when that was new (I did it within a day or so of when WDW released their video)...my video actually had better stats than theirs! You'd search "My Disney Experience" in youtube, and I'd pop up before them.

Too funny that you remembered it!

spacemt354

Chili's
Hah!

You know, at one point when that was new (I did it within a day or so of when WDW released their video)...my video actually had better stats than theirs! You'd search "My Disney Experience" in youtube, and I'd pop up before them.

Too funny that you remembered it!
I think my favorite transition is when it says "oh you can change your plans on the fly!" and it cuts to a guy in a scooter beeping his way through traffic. Too accurate:hilarious:

Suchomimus

STAR WARS: IMPERIAL OUTPOST

Enjoy! Thank you for your time.
the-colors-they-burn.jpg

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
This is still one of my favorite videos of yours:p -- and considering @TheOriginalTiki 's recent experiences he might get a kick out of it.

OMG, just saw this. Priceless and completely accurate to what we experienced. It's really a shame that they haven't worked out the bugs in the years since this system was introduced. I can definitely see the benefits of it if it actually worked right 100% of the time and didn't lead to people like me getting screwed out of coveted reservations because of the server lottery. Love the IT Crowd clip.

Just so you guys know, I've taken the liberty of collecting the projects posted so far from @Pionmycake, @spacemt354, and @kmbmw777 and compiled them along with all future projects at the bottom of the first post of this thread. Still debating on rather we should have individual threads for each round or keep everything in this one thread with the first post linking all the projects. Feedback on that would be nice. :) Don't forget, projects are due in less than a week on Friday, January 5th!

AceAstro

Still debating on rather we should have individual threads for each round or keep everything in this one thread with the first post linking all the projects. Feedback on that would be nice.
What my vote would be is to have all the projects be on here but then have a separate thread that is almost like a directory. Each post on it would contain the initial prompt, all entries, all reviews, and the leaderboard. That way all the projects stay together on one thread but it's easy to find a specific project or prompt from the other thread.

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
What my vote would be is to have all the projects be on here but then have a separate thread that is almost like a directory. Each post on it would contain the initial prompt, all entries, all reviews, and the leaderboard. That way all the projects stay together on one thread but it's easy to find a specific project or prompt from the other thread.

That's a great idea. I'll call it the "Season 16 Directory Thread" or something to that extent. That will be started once reviews are posted for the first prompt and Project Two is announced. Just so you guys know, Jacob is having trouble with his laptop and might not be able to do video reviews for the first project. I'll definitely be doing a video vlog discussing my thoughts along with written reviews once all the projects get turned in. For the first project though it's likely that I'll be the only one submitting scores. There's a possibility BlueDragonFive will come on as a guest judge, we'll see how that goes...

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Dining reservations made!

2/27: Lunch at Liberty Tree Tavern at 12:55PM
3/2: Dinner at The Boathouse at 9:45PM
3/5: Dinner at Via Napolini at 5:55PM

At everyone's suggested, I padded out the Fastpasses for the days that needed padding. Here's our final (?) itinerary.

2/27: Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
2/28: Na'vii River Journey, Primeval Whirl, Expedition Everest
3/1: Dinosaur, Safari, River Journey
3/5: Frozen, Mission Space, Spaceship Earth

Brer Oswald

Drop mission space for test track or Soarin, if you can. In my observation (which isn't in March, but near peak August) and a few years old now, Mission Space lines generally Peter out towards the end of the day. I have done it as a near walk-on several times.

In contrast, Soarin and Test Track are nearly always...bad.
Yeah Mission Space has always been a walk on. Besides, it’s not THAT great of an attraction...in my opinion of course :p

AceAstro

Project 1 - Purists
Due to the timing of when this would open, it is set not long after Return of the Jedi (Episode VI).

After the aftermath of the Return of the Jedi, the Sith are struggling. They lost Emperor Palpatine, Darth Vader, and a second Death Star. The Sith need some new recruits to stay afloat and they need them now. With that, I present to you...

Star Wars: Path of the Sith

3vAxMNrbgAve_WV0rQCLnj_Nnu9aZ81r-sOUbn-1YJx_kdmc2Pia8zO0ZD0VAqIpH-ThSdfCT8BZrb3hS42Rf2VA47-NbHUSlPgKeWhsPHuVrp8sHMpvKqhprm3wGJgEA2lDtUtN

Star Wars: Path of the Sith will be a new attraction centred around the Sith trying to recruit new members to the Dark Side in the middle of Disneyland.

With Return of the Jedi being released in 1983 to complete the original trilogy, Star Wars was off with a bang. Because of this success, Disney wanted a Star Wars themed attraction as fast as they could get one. The way to do this is with a re-theme of Adventures thru Inner Space. This brand new Star Wars ride will stay as an Omnimover system to allow for this ride to open a little over a year after Adventures thru Inner Space closed (1985) to still have Star Wars fresh on everyone’s mind. To save time, and money, the track layout will remain the same with some walls removed to allow for new, larger scenes.

For reference, here's the Adventures thru Inner Space track layout:

cSxGcvptl0Iem0Fzw95oHZwcSwmz6A2m8d2pWU4AmCEq8T2-J26M8CPAk071BqBdv-CeGQoPI4mE6QQaRW4CEd7wLqY4EzGZSVBKKuvunJRKH7fB4YFm93TV9pvHF4T4B99Vbqls

And here is the track layout for Star Wars: Path of the Sith:

t0pME3LocEvjvDnwPO5WPzCke5uiDEEOjPW_kWWl4C_8lNxkXfItoJt-XtS42pVofx0V2BA35MrLFmqQ8_nlOv4dIQCm176JxdSVNU2PpQAcC83J4K3ag0hKB4bDVWdap3dZJZXM

Attraction Type - Omnimover
Attraction Ticket - E-Ticket
Hourly Capacity - 760 guests
Attraction Runtime - 5m 40s
FastPass+ - Doesn’t Exist Yet :p
Handicap Accessible - Guests must transfer from wheelchair

Queue

The large screen in the queue (same place the large screen is in for Star Tours) will feature different clips from the original trilogy showcasing different successes of the sith. Replacing the Mighty Microscope (the StarSpeeder 1000) is a selection of droids such as IG-88’s, probe droids, and RA-7’s. By having these droids as Audio-Animatronics in the queue area, it is easy for the PeopleMover to pass above and see into the room easily. In this area will also be a Captain Rex droid as a mini-Easter Egg to the original Star Tours attraction.

Load

The load area consists of a short ramp leading to a spinning platform that is seen with many Omnimover rides such as Spaceship Earth. The ride vehicles will be MSE-6 repair droids retrofitted with “Doombuggy” vehicles on top like seen the image below.

nkwlICUSZoLopfcVArpjlW94wS5v2BrCX-Xe0W72I-jNye_WXfctL7tAvM-m6fweLUxiYNlSJU6XkRnPsonSm92WVFrXH1xO8hIjcE7lOtMASO6aNvv503mbwYE3pQW4zSZQO94c

(Note: This is a rough image so you get the idea what it would look like)

Upon exiting the load platform, you’ll hear the narrator, Emperor Palpatine, tell guests that “By the end of today, you’ll see why the Sith is the side you want to be on”. After that, guests enter into Scene 1 - The Legends of the Past.

Scene 1

Best described as The Legends of the Past scene, here guests will see important members of the Sith as well as key members who helped the Sith in the original trilogy. On either side of the ride vehicle, guests can find Audio-Animatronic versions of Boba Fett, Jabba the Hutt, Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, and the biggest Sith member to not make the movie, Darth Plagueis. These won’t be you run-of-the-mill AA’s however. Through the use of mirrors and lighting effects, these AA’s will appear as holograms.

EMU4tt9sThhjetVjhthcXzK9lqOzYMgs8SmKQoOxxZgd7SpKi2FUSfGENAJKIIa4IfzLYXCBippk7NNBcaFJbKq9uCvs65yyV_Mrw5PmB7D38NRCOn3l65pyIBgFes1oaD6WC5_4

By having the AA be where the object is labelled in the picture above, the AA will appear to be floating up above. The lower object would be on a small platform to ensure the produced image would be at the right height. By shining light into the mirrors the right way, the AA’s can appear as if they were coloured holographic images of the characters we know and love. Each AA would have basic movements with them such as a swing of the lightsaber, or the aiming of their rifle.

While the video doesn’t do the effect the justice it deserves, it also will give you a better idea of how the effect works.

Scene 2

Upon entering the second scene, Emperor Palpatine reminds us that “The Sith always has backup”. With that, we see rows of Stormtroopers on either side of the ride.
UTOWfBEvf0GYeBLIZj1N1DVBTRotIpveOzvrQcpZWEI-LU-bdf9OsHm-mV4mN0JT-v19tBPRKZz6VN-c6sNfki5qDmTd97uhzlD-eiYIaWXdC0Kp0ekY1xF3ktv8uS_yrS4Hszk4

The first row of Stormtroopers will feature Audio-Animatronic versions doing different tasks such as looking around, aim their rifle, or life their arm to talk into their mic. Guests continue to pass in between the rows of Stormtroopers before coming up to scene 3.

Scene 3

Emperor Palpatine comes over the ride vehicle speaker again, “We’ve also won key battles in the past”.

sJFVj-9sCJDlPdtYy4n7_-_vOVCS5pxebXQkD39Fo9GTVZdrbz2kl7hs1e4MkBnKeYE2nzxyburls2qkd4iB3ofaCcB2IcJL-myFPiTkRVzKbaPk6vyypd-U6b1EfVG5QL-tHTV5

Scene 3 is a re-creation of the famous fight between Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader. As guests pass by, the two AA figures are battling it out with the diorama around them looking like the image above.

The “end” of the battle will conclude with Darth Vader going in for the finishing blow on Obi-Wan. After that, the scene resets back to the beginning of the fight making sure that every guest going past the scene will see the whole fight before moving on to the next scene.

(Scene 3 will be based on the fight scene from 1:38 to the end of the clip)

Scene 4

-b5MrU6ZfDPnscofyuhagf9NH04JHKmjqMTzj3aIoLL2LCcKvIXL3uh4Ld57asj7PD9iGuOCG4GF_HQzGd9p0MPKQB8dqakmngyB_qPWK9R023h-ZcdHQZwzkimYAVp2GXvMQ_nX

Here we see an AA version of Emperor Palpatine. The scene looks exactly like his Throne room from Return of the Jedi. He exclaims that we’ve seen the history and legends of the Sith, but now it’s time to see the “toys” of the Sith. With that, the ride vehicles turn to see both walls covered with all sorts of weapons of the Sith’s past. Some of the weapons include Darth Vader’s Lightsaber, a pair of Stormtrooper Rifles, and Boba Fett’s Jetpack.

As we get further down the hallway, Emperor Palpatine comes back on the speaker, “Now that you’ve seen the small ones, it’s time to show you the big guns”. With that, we enter the large room of scene 5.

Scene 5

This scene is where the big practical set pieces are seen. The first thing you see entering the room is a full-size, AT-ST staring down the entrance.

N3UM9H7QiRqhwWPxd9Jjv6J7wbMF-vPWKDlRdKCCzLKcb_b6ng9MQZ1HCkgG7If021WaUNfymt--eVGoGIhBMiSRrRqPF7gSBOwyNitNdNhRCYOakVIZraLbVkGaSUtYAnPqcwuc

While still facing inwards to the scene, the guests start to pull up beside a full-size AT-AT (or close to full-size I don’t know how big the show building is). Guests do a full trip around the AT-AT (as can be seen on the map as the large rectangle at the top of the room).

6__8ocLgEmli0Tj1hJNYkP3eL31f-4ee9AsY_H_ih71SH2iPHzuWswgjUifoYcczsA9KbinO5MjqYhDh_o5T9gItrLHnZOslVdfUYKYm2iw1ER_ViDRfMOSRNPjkAKwDdi6VThsW

After going past the AT-AT, guests will see a full-size TIE Fighter parked in the room. As guests pass the TIE Fighter, it will occasionally fire its weapon leading guests to the next room.

DktLOEB11TSqMXVzDRcUGqO6BbAjOdsBanLNYbZuneEuUJu6uz-7WGjzYlPUlEM5YtBdQ8B09DtHW6izQdvYQvQbfEmUF8vRvQtE-z5E4CMouOw0ssAIuttgy0WgO6pZPzlj7IVR

Scene 6

Emperor Palpatine comes back again informing guests that as they go past if they see a member of the Sith in their ride vehicles, the Sith is strong with them. This is also known as the “Sith will follow you home” scene. Set up much like the ghost will follow you home scene in the Haunted Mansion, this scene will put a Sith member in your ride vehicle with you.

JbQ03M-RSrV8FFikJeFWxcNwXdme7XRkerBq55255o4o4eR_3i1TWDSwYDqbcquC-Muxxq-OM8VS8ml_6-hIBjbIifJF60UVXfr2twu8YxdFPgtHPF1ZZsfn5npiYcJgTVzbBhno

As beautifully shown here by ImagineeringDisney.com , the figurines are featured on a revolving track with two-way mirrors between the guests and the figures. When the light hits both just right, it appears that the figure is in the ride vehicle with you. The different Sith members that could join your vehicle are Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, or a Stormtrooper.

Scene 7

As the final scene before the unload, guests will rotate around a model Death Star where the Emperor reminds them just what power the Sith has.

9H6zdYl0uMlt4iQZZl9PF0uaf5GzzoQYfiUqTibwkQ7wRsMsfdxVOB8bVitE5H0SCbYyQbiiwcsxwr9P1ws854aK25ITJTq9NzhdRcBlY2j86TkPxVKQY4hoAJ7tZhDRwo46w4dR

And for the hardcore fans out there, this would be the original Death Star model used from Episode 4 (one of only a few pieces saved from Episode 4 thanks to an employee of the production).

Unload

Upon exiting scene 7, guests will exit onto a circular moving platform before entering the post-show area.

Post-Show

In the post-show area, tablets would be set up featuring a small quiz to see what sort of Sith Lord you would be (set up similar to this one: http://www.playbuzz.com/marcosguadalupe10/which-of-these-sith-lords-are-you). From there, guests exit through the Star Trader shop.

Future Updates

Due to the prequels not being as successful as the original trilogy, few things are added in. Some inclusions include Count Dooku, Jango Fett, and Darth Maul added to the Legends of the Past scene (Scene 1). Darth Maul’s lightsaber will also be added to the wall of “toys” in scene 4. Lastly, Darth Maul will replace the Stormtrooper in the Sith will follow you home scene.

With this new trilogy being very successful so far, changes will come after Episode 9. Scene 2 with the Stormtroopers will change completely to now be focused around a large holographic-like image of Snoke (seen below) on one side of the vehicle, and Kylo Ren looking up to him on the other side of the vehicle.

rlwGGH3_GdDWhINJ4k0Us9KPfIRytrtqCBMoFlEPXMFqWhKxYhp2f8aVxGiN4qh1XHX7MUVmt3hRJsM7FDNpP1ZJZ4uqU6PpYENczBZlvbjmbAZiqsZXH5rqCo3viqLrnmXVSChE

While the Stormtroopers lose their own scene, some will be moved to line one wall of Scene 4 with all the weapons now on the other wall of scene 4. Kylo Ren would replace Emperor Palpatine in the Sith will follow you home scene making the scene feature Darth Vader, Darth Maul, and Kylo Ren.

Last edited:

Disney Dad 3000

Kashyyyk
Disclaimer: In no way advocating for SW to be included in a park I absolutely love, but for the purposes of this competition and moving forward.
Facing an onslaught of crowds of biblical proportions in 2019, WDW Management wakes up. They realize that in addition to the tens of thousands of hard core and casual Disney fans who will be eagerly awaiting the arrival of Galaxies Edge at HS, they have a huge section of Star Wars fans who aren't necessarily Disney fans in any shape or size, that will descend on Orlando.

Having already committed to a land in HS and not parlaying the franchise into a park of its own that it could assuredly handle, they have looked to expand the Star Wars Universe to another of the Orlando parks. To help alleviate the pressure and lines on the Studios, WDI has been given the green light to recreate the Wookiee home world of Kashyyyk at Disney's Animal Kingdom, arriving in 2021.

While Kashyyyk is not an entirely new planet like Bantu, with only minimal references and visuals in the Star Wars films to date, it does provide an interesting locale to be explored. It will be planned within the same timeline as Galaxy's Edge, but does allow for incorporation of one of Ep 4-7's best characters Chewbacca to be utilized.

Is 2 alien planets and species too much for AK? Probably. But using Kashyyyk provides a great visual aesthetic that can be molded to fit into AK and provides an opportunity for an additional variety of attractions experiences the park needs to fully flesh itself out.

Back story
View media item 5114With its ideal location, the planet of Kashyyyk has long been a target for many nefarious factions within the galaxy. From the Clone Wars and other iterations of the Empire, to various political upheavals, many battles have been fought on the planet.

Due to their size and strength, the Wookiees were a prized labor force, and during the planet takeovers were forced to tear down large swaths of the prized wroshyr trees that covered large portions of the planet. The trees themselves play a huge part in the Wookiee way of life and culture with their populace using the trees for their cities and homes, but also protection from the various dangerous elements below.

Having had to deal with various mold species as well that have wiped out some of the trees, the Wookiees' are working to preserve their way of life with the wroshyrs that still exist but also cultivate new forests of the amazing trees. While they are currently free from First Order rule, they are regularly fending off various squadrons and on the ready for another large scale attack.

While not the most welcoming of species, the Wookiee's allow a great deal of trade to come through their planet. Those visitors that do have the opportunity to visit Kashyyyk will marvel at their cities in the trees and technology, but should also be wary of those things unseen within the dense forest floors.

PlanetaryTransport
As a means of further developing a Star Wars driven story for Disney park guests, the planet of Kashyyyk will be directly connected to Bantu in HS. Similar to Galaxy's Edge, Animal Kingdom guests will have the option of using one of two interior park entrances into the land, or they can opt to space jump from Bantu aboard the Planetary Transport.
View media item 5117Running back and forth between Bantu and Kashyyyk, a new monorail line will be constructed to connect the two lands. Besides being a mode of transport between the two Star Wars lands, the new monorail will be an attraction unto itself. Guests will board the transport accompanying the many goods that make their way between the two planets.

Built at the back side of Galaxy's Edge and Kashyyyk for visual purposes, the monorail will depart and arrive at both parks inside a large hangar looking space. Guest will be held in a queue area with appropriate theming for each space port with various monitors, décor, etc. to keep the theme. While in the queue, various announcements and visuals will be provided and they'll see a "live"video feed of their transport landing in the docking bay.

The transport itself will appear to be an old repurposed GR-75 Rebel transport with it actually just being the shell of the transport built over the monorail end line at both stations to preserve the appearance of space travel. Various theming elements will be used to block any view of the monorail track where it exits the front or rear of the transport. Once the transport/monorail has "docked", guests will be led out into the hangar space itself to begin queuing into the transport.

Several ramps will lead up into different sections of the transport to correspond with each sector of the monorail. Upon reaching the top of the ramp, guests will not enter directly into the monorail, but what appears to be various short portions of the vessel that lead them directly into their seating corridor.

Further making this a can't miss experience, the ride itself will be modified in several ways. Cast members in various costumes will be randomized in the cabins playing the role of other space travelers or helping with the goods transport. This will essentially allow for a small meet and greet during the ride between parks. This is assuming of course your character is up for some idle chit chat. Whit this being at random, you'll never know who you'll be riding with making for many interesting experiences depending on who you get, but also a challenge for those character or star wars M&G fanatics.

The interior of the monorail will be blacked out from the outside world so that during the ride you'll be looking at different sections of the transport, video news of events, etc. taking place on the planet of your arrival. During lift off and landing, you'll hear several sound effects to enhance the journey.

In whole the transport will serve several purposes by allowing those role playing guests to essentially stay in character/adventure from one park to the next and bring another Star Wars attraction to both lands. Note that unlike the regular monorail, there will be fastpass for the transport as well as standby. Guests boarding at Kashyyyk will utilize an AK fastpass and guests boarding at Bantu will use a HS fastpass.

With this set up, it is obviously not meant as mass transit like the current monorail, but will still allow for a pretty consistent flow of guests back and forth. This will also help thin out fast passes for some other Star Wars attractions at both parks. Guests will obviously still have the option of bus/car travel between parks.

Kashyyyk Walk Through
While in Kashyyyk you may notice yourself with a bit of a crick in your neck. Replicas of the magnificent wroshyr tree will fill the land.
View media item 5115You will see various examples of the Wookiee ingenuity in their cities the trees. The layout of the land will allow for one section to be raised so that guests can walk up into some of the trees themselves and get a first hand look. While essentially climbing a series of gradual hills, guests will feel as though they are walking up into the trees where they will eventually encounter examples of the structures they saw below. Along the way will also be information on the trees themselves, their history and why the wookiee's use the trees this way.

As amazing as the sights above will be, visitors to Kashyyyk will want to keep their wits about them. While you can walk through remains of an old destroyed Jedi outpost (is it really empty?), and see various plant life in addition to animatronic versions of some of the more tame creatures of Kashyyyk, there's a reason the wookiee's live high up in the trees.

Into the Shadows
Having ventured through the more tame portions of the new land, Into the Shadows will be the land's new E ticket taking guests deep into the Shadowlands, the dark, dense forest far below the safety of the wookiee encampments above. The attraction itself will be an indoor coaster to help combat the Florida weather, but also allow for a cooler environ for guests to see some of the younger, smaller Wookiee's in costume.

With a ride system and set up similar to the Seven Dwarves Mine Train, the ride will have both coaster portions as well as show scene portions, but also feature a much longer ride time of 4.5 minutes to allow for more of both. Instead of mine carts, guests will be boarding modified Wookiee Battle Scythes. They'll need these intense looking vehicles to survive their journey.
If you were a Wookiee and entering the Shadowlands, you either had been exiled or were on a mission to challenge and prove yourself. As the average visitor to Kashyyyk, you have no shot at surviving on your own which is where your Battle Scythe will come in handy. Even with your tank like vehicle though, survival is not guaranteed, and you will have surprised the Wookiee guides if you make it back from encountering some of the more dangerous animal and plant life in the galaxy.

The queue of the attraction will be forested, which will get thicker and thicker as you approach the boarding area and the heart of the Shadowlands. Along the way you'll hear some of the various wildlife and see some of the remnants of previous visitors and battles that have taken place in this dark place.

Before boarding the Wookiee cast members will give you one more chance to change your mind. If you really must know what kind of creatures inhabit the darkness ahead, you'll be sent on your way.

*Not 100% finished with the entire proposal, but wanted to get something posted in case things go a little haywire schedule wise on the due date as I know today/tomorrow might be a little nuts. Will come back and edit before due date.

DisneyManOne

For this project, I decided to play on the Purists side, and try to invent a new kind of 80s Star Wars thrill ride. Here's what I came up with.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dateline: May 1st, 1989. On this day, Walt Disney World is set to open its third and most ambitious theme park: Disney-MGM Studios. Part theme park and part working studio, Disney promises that this park will immerse guests into some of their favorite movies like never before.

One of the films set to be represent in the park is George Lucas' iconic
Star Wars series. Rumors have been floating about that the park will receive a clone of Disneyland's popular Star Tours attraction, a motion simulator detailing a flight to Endor gone horribly wrong. Well, since they want to go full-in on immersion, Disney decided to create a new Star Wars attraction. They call it:

Star Wars: Battle of the Force
latest

Essentially, Star Wars: Battle of the Force takes us back to the climactic ending of the original Star Wars film. Here, guests will be able to join the fight alongside the Rebel Alliance to destroy the Death Star. From what I've heard tell, Star Wars: Flight of the Force is a ride in a style similar to the dark rides of Fantasyland, but on a much, much larger scale.

The queue is designed to look like the Rebel Alliance headquarters at Yavin. There are various heavily-themed rooms throughout the queue, including a brief stroll past a life-size X-Wing, but the crown jewel is the briefing room. In a style similar to Mission to Mars, this room is populated with Audio-Animatronic versions of the Rebel pilots, being given a brief before they head out to fight.

At long last, the time comes for us to take flight and join the fight. We'll be riding in our very own X-Wing. The X-Wings are basically a larger version of the pirate ships from Peter Pan's Flight, but with an added level of adrenaline. These X-Wings will actually swerve and swoop along the track, like it was a suspended roller-coaster. Besides, gliding through a raging space battle just wouldn't feel right if we didn't get a little dinged up along the way.

X-Wing-Fighter_47c7c342.jpeg

Our X-Wing leaves the load platform and turns left On a platform around the corner, C-3PO is standing, basically giving us the safety spiel while telling us and R2-D2 to be careful out there. Making another turn, we see the force-field of the hangar created with a laser effect and space past it. As if we were on a roller-coaster, we shoot out of the base and over the city as the triumphant sound of John Williams' Star Wars theme pounds in our ears.

We climb high into the clouds and meet up with the rest of the rebel X Wings (all of whom are audio-animatronics). Luke Skywalker, known as Red 5, is also there, and offers us some encouragement. We hear the leader giving us instructions, before sending us out to fight. This scene is done in the style of the opening scene of EPCOT's Journey Into Imagination, where we face the animatronics as we spin along the rim of a giant turntable.

dreamfinder-figment-dreamcatcher-stock-disney.jpg

This, but with Star Wars.

After we get our instructions, we fly away into the dense clouds and exit into a cloud of smoke, turning right to face an Omnimax projection surface (a la Horizons), where we hear that we are going the wrong way and end up narrowly missing other flying ships. The vehicle continues to move to its right to another Omnimax screen where we decide to accelerate to what we think is space, continuing to fly into cloud cover. The vehicle seamlessly spins into a cloud of fog as we enter the next scene. We discover that we have flown right back down into Yavin IV, darting through the dense forests, and past other ships floating around us. These ships are static figures, but they seemingly fly past us because of our fast and sharp movements. We quickly move through the forests, dodging objects and hearing our leader on the radio asking where we are, and telling us to get back to them on the double.

databank_yavin4_01_169_b6945e20.jpeg

We turn to another screen to show us flying up and out of the city, into the clouds, and then to hyperspace. We turn and fly past projections of the planet below us into the next Omnimax dome. We are back with the group now.

After some comments, we jump to hyperdrive together but as soon as we stop, we find ourselves in the middle of the battle. This is where the suspended-coaster aspect really kicks in. We begin evasive maneuvers, twisting and turning, trying desperately to avoid the Empire's troops. In fact, we even get hit a few times, and when we do, our X-Wing reacts with a sudden jerk or swinging movement. We hear though that we are being chased so we are told to try to lose them. So, we fly past various enemy ships, narrowly avoiding getting blown to bits, although we do get blasted a bit.

But then, it happens...

Below us is the Death Star, larger-than-life. We get a message: We are needed in the trench as a distraction so we dive in towards the surface. This scene is a new kind of level of immersion from Disney. We actually get to go through the Death Star, just like in the movie. There are two identical trench scenes that are right next to each other for scene pacing reasons. Our vehicle turns back into one of the two trenches and begins the iconic trench run. We move relatively slowly but the projected side walls make it seem like we are racing by. In addition, there are three TIE Fighters on each trench that we interact with. They are also on tracks to the side, similar to ours. We are able to fly through the trench and dodge the TIE Fighters and laser beam created shots that seem to just miss us. At the end of the trench we fly to the right and turn to a screen showing us flying out and away. We then enter the next rotating dome room, where the main elements of the fight happens between the X Wings and the TIE Fighters.

We exit the trench and emerge in total darkness with just stars around us, moving quickly. We then turn to find ourselves face to face with a real full size TIE Fighter that is also on a motion base so that It looks like it is in flight right next to us. Inside we see a realistic animatronic of Darth Vader, threatening us.

"Halt, rebel scum! How dare you enter a forbidden combat zone. The Empire is not afraid to kill you, and we do not take kindly to trespassers in this zone."

We quickly fly away and into the final set of scenes, which are mostly set in darkness with the star field around us. As we wildly spin around the corners we pass by Luke Skywalker, preparing to deal the final blow. As we pass by, we hear the voice of Obi-Wan Kenobi:

"Use the force, Luke."

We turn to the last Omnimax screen and see Luke's X-Wing in the distance, shooting at the Death Star's weak spot, causing it to blow up. As it blows up, we hear our leader congratulate us and our fellow X-Wing fighters in successfully stopping the Empire. Soon, we hyperdrive back to Yavin IV, where we pass by Leia awarding Luke, Han and Chewy, and offering us words of congratulations.

Leaving this joyous scene behind, we return back to the Rebel headquarters and depart.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom