So, You Want to be an Imagineer Season 16: Purists vs. Innovators (Official Hub Thread!)

spacemt354

Chili's

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
Getting back to the reviews...

@Disney Dad 3000, it's a shame you didn't have time to fully complete this because I was absolutely in love with the concept from what I read. The sense of scope and forced perspective when you describe the forest is simply impeccable. I'm also going to give a full BONUS POINT for being the one person to figure out the transportation. How interesting is it that we got three innovator projects based on three different WDW parks, and yet all the proposals fit their respective parks incredibly well. I love the conversation message here with the Wookies, I love how mysterious and built up the Wookies are while walking through the land, and I love the idea of the "Shadow Lands". Please complete the ride some time and I'll give feedback on it in a future podcast, because this is one hell of a starting point! :)

Creativity: 9.5/10 - Wonderful use of Animal Kingdom's conservation themes, and major props for including transportation. Something as simple as a spruced up monorail really can go a long way.

Realism: 7.5/10 The idea of each monorail trip being a mini meet n greet is intriguing to say the least, but I definitely have some concerns when it comes to staffing. Also while a monorail is probably the most practical way to get people from point A to point B, it's also among the most expensive. The forest itself had a great sense of scale to it that really pulled me in.

Detail: 7/10 Should probably be lower given the ride is missing, but what's here is just really good!

Presentation: 8/10 Solid reference photos and formatting all around.

Total: 35/40

@DisneyManOne...Loved it! This is absolutely the type of project I was hoping for when giving out the Purists prompt. First off, I really like how you kept Star Tours in this continuity but addressed that WDW shouldn't have gotten a clone of it. I haven't been to DHS myself but the Star Tours placement seems rather out of place compared to the natural fit of a space airport within Tomorrowland. Excellent job keeping the action confined to one setting and having a brisk pace to the experience while still being something families can enjoy. This might be one of my new favorite original spins on the "Peter Pan's Flight" Style suspended dark ride. I'm really lost in admiration for this presentation. Perhaps the best project of the opening round!

Creativity: 8.5/10 - Wonderful use of the Peter Pan tech. Parts of it seemed heavily inspired by Battle Escape which isn't in itself a bad thing. Essentially the whole structure of the ride experience is a live action Star Wars which while using some Member Berries to create the intended effect went a long way in making those nostalgic feels ever so sweet.

Realism: 9.5/10 - Truly a shining point in the attraction. An excellent example of a family thrill ride which used a little bit of everything that was available at the time in terms of technology to blend it into a ceaseless experience.

Detail: 8/10 - Everything was fleshed out very well. Perhaps a bit more on the queue would have been nice.

Presentation 9/10 - Great use of reference photos and the humor and wit present throughout did not go unnoticed. :) ;) An important note to hit on is that crafting your own unique voice in your writing is just as important as visuals when it comes to the presentation grade.

spacemt354

Chili's

@Disney Dad 3000, it's a shame you didn't have time to fully complete this because I was absolutely in love with the concept from what I read. The sense of scope and forced perspective when you describe the forest is simply impeccable. I'm also going to give a full BONUS POINT for being the one person to figure out the transportation. How interesting is it that we got three innovator projects based on three different WDW parks, and yet all the proposals fit their respective parks incredibly well. I love the conversation message here with the Wookies, I love how mysterious and built up the Wookies are while walking through the land, and I love the idea of the "Shadow Lands". Please complete the ride some time and I'll give feedback on it in a future podcast, because this is one hell of a starting point! :)

Creativity: 9.5/10 - Wonderful use of Animal Kingdom's conservation themes, and major props for including transportation. Something as simple as a spruced up monorail really can go a long way.

Realism: 7.5/10 The idea of each monorail trip being a mini meet n greet is intriguing to say the least, but I definitely have some concerns when it comes to staffing. Also while a monorail is probably the most practical way to get people from point A to point B, it's also among the most expensive. The forest itself had a great sense of scale to it that really pulled me in.

Detail: 7/10 Should probably be lower given the ride is missing, but what's here is just really good!

@DisneyManOne...Loved it! This is absolutely the type of project I was hoping for when giving out the Purists prompt. First off, I really like how you kept Star Tours in this continuity but addressed that WDW shouldn't have gotten a clone of it. I haven't been to DHS myself but the Star Tours placement seems rather out of place compared to the natural fit of a space airport within Tomorrowland. Excellent job keeping the action confined to one setting and having a brisk pace to the experience while still being something families can enjoy. This might be one of my new favorite original spins on the "Peter Pan's Flight" Style suspended dark ride. I'm really lost in admiration for this presentation. Perhaps the best project of the opening round!

Creativity: 8.5/10 - Wonderful use of the Peter Pan tech. Parts of it seemed heavily inspired by Battle Escape which isn't in itself a bad thing. Essentially the whole structure of the ride experience is a live action Star Wars which while using some Member Berries to create the intended effect went a long way in making those nostalgic feels ever so sweet.

Realism: 9.5/10 - Truly a shining point in the attraction. An excellent example of a family thrill ride which used a little bit of everything that was available at the time in terms of technology to blend it into a ceaseless experience.

Detail: 8/10 - Everything was fleshed out very well. Perhaps a bit more on the queue would have been nice.

Presentation 9/10 - Great use of reference photos and the humor and wit present throughout did not go unnoticed. :);) An important note to hit on is that crafting your own unique voice in your writing is just as important as visuals when it comes to the presentation grade.

Not to be a math menace but I think your totals should be, based on the /10 scores...

Disney Dad 3000 - 32/40
DisneyManOne - 35/40

Might have just been a typo.

invadersam

Can u tell me mine Plz, I'm not sure what your podcasts called
image.jpg

TheOriginalTiki

Original Poster
@tcool123 this was a very ambitious effort for a Purist project, and probably the best example out of the first round of blending the spirit of the two ideas to create a single concept. Realism is going to take a hit in much the same way that it did with Space's project, but again I don't want that to frustrate you. Jabba's Palace is one of my favorite locations in all of Star Wars and I feel like it's just begging for an attraction. Props for also using other parts of the Tatooine wastelands. A bit of a missed opportunity not being able to pick up some power converters at Tosche Station, I must admit. ;)

Creativity: 8/10 Jabba's palace is a rather stock location, but a colorful one that you nailed by putting a strong emphasis on the world building on the surrounding areas.

Realism: 6.5/10 The shuttle loop is ambitious and a great idea. Some of the scale of the scenes seems a little off, especially the number of AAs in any one set vs. how fast you'd be traveling through the scenes.

Detail: 9/10 From top to bottom everything was explained really well.

Presentation: 8.5/10 Another great example of using your own "voice" in the writing to convey what you're trying to say. Fantastic use of reference photos throughout.

Total: 32/40

@Magic Feather...Short but sweet. Presentation as usual with you is a strong suit. Great use of maps to lay out the ideas. It's rather unfortunate that Tcool's project uses the same theme and has a lot more detail to it, as it does have the tendancy to overshadow this one in spite of your best efforts.

Creativity: 8.5/10 Great use of the Carousel theater as more of a thrilling experience. Really nice twist on a classic ride system!
Realism: 8/10
Detail: 6/10 Sadly this felt like another half a project.
Presentation: 10/10 And deserving every point of it! This is what really made this project shine!
Total: 32/40

Apologies for the shorter reviews. Just wanted to make sure I got them in before the podcast.

Disney Dad 3000

Presentation 9/10 - Great use of reference photos and the humor and wit present throughout did not go unnoticed. :);) An important note to hit on is that crafting your own unique voice in your writing is just as important as visuals when it comes to the presentation grade.

Thanks for the feedback!
I was hoping I'd have enough time to come back at the end of the week with some addl scene detail on the forest ride and a 2nd art piece in addition to the monorail. Just a crazy few days.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
More Details Cooming Soon But...

Flight of the Pegasus- A New Flying Journey over the Worlds of Fantasia

Dumbo's Circus Journey- A Thrilling Circus Train Through the World of Dumbo

Mickey's Giant Adventure- Witness as a Brave Little Tailor Faces a Mighty Giant
Two out of the three you posted are similar to things I was gonna do! Great minds think alike!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom