News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

trainplane3

Another vote here for the symbols/logos. I loved those. Sometimes the littlest (and easiest, cheapest) things contribute the most to theming and imagination. C'mon Disney, it's not that hard!
To add to this, it's not even nostalgia. I never got to experience Epcot in its heyday. The closest I got was Imagination V1, WoL, and Sea Base Alpha. As odd as it sounds, I just appreciate a good design. I know the old Epcot isn't ever coming back, but old pieces of theming can still be used. They linked the pavilions together in their own way. I have a couple of friends that love the logos like I do. They made me buy a couple things for them just because of the anniversary. Oh, and they aren't really Disney people at all. There's just something that feels futuristic about them.

The Epcot anniversaries are about the only times when Disney gets me to buy their in-park merchandise. After that, it's next to nothing from me. Every 5 years isn't so bad on the wallet. If the logos returned in full force though, I can guarantee Disney would see way more money from me.

IMG_20171030_221610.jpg IMG_20171230_003004.jpg IMG_20171230_003025.jpg Plus the Orlando MoG Figment pin.
The 1997 employee pin set is by far my favorite version. It's plain and simple, no metallic flashiness. Still couldn't get WoL in the right color for some reason. I still gotta track down the rest of the silver and black WDI pins though. This is still only a portion of what I have. I might have a problem!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wouldn't mind if the entire overhaul was scrapped but I'd still hope they take a paint brush to that awful color scheme in Future World and remove the tombstones ... that's all I'd really want. Remove the pin station in the hub plaza. Remove the tarps. Add some trees. That's all I'd really be asking for ... lol (and they can trim some of the overgrown planters too)
This. X1000.

I’ve been doing a lot of new research on Communicore recently. Did you know in the public exhibit areas there was only one dividing wall? Everything else was open plan. With that, plus the total wrap around glazing (aside from Central and Futurechoice) no wonder it was so light, airy and welcoming.

It is so annoying they are sat on a hidden gem that could easily shine again - even for today’s requirements - with not a lot of expenditure. Much like the Imagination pavilion.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

It’s slipped again to 22-3.

At this rate I’d be surprised if it happens at all as planned. Which may be a blessing. One can hope.
This is how i've come to view the future plans for EPCOT. I feel 1994 was the last year EPCOT had ANY arguable improvement. But it was also the year things started down an unfortunate path (Innoventions and Horizons losing its sponsor). Ever since it has been a domino effect of consistently poor decisions that have ruined the park. And with perhaps the sole exception of the additional water features outside Odyssey seen in the D23 artwork (which may well have been artistic flourishes not intended to be built anyways), the future plans seem like a decisive continuation down this path.

It seems like the only two choices for EPCOT's future are either, 1- Let the park chug along as it currently is, or 2- Lose even more buildings and classic if somewhat old attractions (Spaceship Earth and The Land), to an ever growing infestation of cartoon and comic/scifi IP. If all the current plans are all inevitably some variation of the latter option, i would rather the plans get stuck in development hell and hopefully get canned. This will hopefully buy some time until (in an exceedingly slim chance) someone else gets put in charge who respects the original vision of EPCOT. Or if nothing else, prolonging the remaining life of what little qualities are left of the original EPCOT Center before we finally lose everything.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’m currently tracking 24 distinct future projects for Epcot of various sizes. If they’ll all happen is doubtful but I think there’s a chance the vast majority will see the light of day in some form. But it depends on a) how much budgets get watered down and b) how much timescales slip.

And yes, most include IP.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I’m currently tracking 24 distinct future projects for Epcot of various sizes. If they’ll all happen is doubtful but I think there’s a chance the vast majority will see the light of day in some form. But it depends on a) how much budgets get watered down and b) how much timescales slip.

To like, or not like this post. That is the question.

jmuboy

This. X1000.

I’ve been doing a lot of new research on Communicore recently. Did you know in the public exhibit areas there was only one dividing wall? Everything else was open plan. With that, plus the total wrap around glazing (aside from Central and Futurechoice) no wonder it was so light, airy and welcoming.

It is so annoying they are sat on a hidden gem that could easily shine again - even for today’s requirements - with not a lot of expenditure. Much like the Imagination pavilion.

The spine only really needs a good vision for Comminicore and a toned down paint scheme and tarp removal.

Upgrade the entrance and remove the tombstones and you have a improved ( and cheaper ) refreshed entry experience. Please Disney!!!

clemmo

This surprises me. Honestly seems like most of the not announced ones are stalling out (coco, Brazil, uk, spine)

DisneyFan18

Does those projects include WS? If so is there anything else happening aside from Brazil, UK, Rat and Coco? :D

Haymarket2008

What percentage do you approve of, all things considered? AND.... will we be Finding Dreams??

UpAllNight

With the pace they move at and the layers of management these plans need to pass through before they get started it’s very difficult to get excited. I remember talk on here about over $3billion going to DHS and we’re ending up with Star Wars, Toy Story and a replacement for The Great Movie Ride. You could build a new park for $3billion, so who knows where the rest of that money went.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Does those projects include WS? If so is there anything else happening aside from Brazil, UK, Rat and Coco? :D
Yes and yes. Though happening should still be swapped for proposed.

What percentage do you approve of, all things considered? AND.... will we be Finding Dreams??

Approval.... it’s always subjective. Given my feelings and emotions about this park I think it’s in the eye of the beholder. One or two I’m interesting in seeing the final results of.

With the pace they move at and the layers of management these plans need to pass through before they get started it’s very difficult to get excited. I remember talk on here about over $3billion going to DHS and we’re ending up with Star Wars, Toy Story and a replacement for The Great Movie Ride. You could build a new park for $3billion, so who knows where the rest of that money went.

Currently 2 billion-ish will have been spent on DHS by the time SWL opens. Add the not-happening parking structures, a certain coaster that’s being built in the MK and a projected E ticket for mid next decade are your edging towards 3 billion.

DisneyFan18

Approval.... it’s always subjective. Given my feelings and emotions about this park I think it’s in the eye of the beholder. One or two I’m interesting in seeing the final results of.

Currently 2 billion-ish will have been spent on DHS by the time SWL opens. Add the not-happening parking structures, a certain coaster that’s being built in the MK and a projected E ticket for mid next decade are your edging towards 3 billion.
Thanks for answering and my mistake, I was thinking about proposed and ended up writing happening (tho I really hope that Poppins and Coco happen). I forgot to ask but does any of the other proposals involve Big Hero 6, as you said they were mostly IP and I guess that one sort of fits at EPCOT (at least better than Guardians IMHO)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks for answering and my mistake, I was thinking about proposed and ended up writing happening (tho I really hope that Poppins and Coco happen). I forgot to ask but does any of the other proposals involve Big Hero 6, as you said they were mostly IP and I guess that one sort of fits at EPCOT (at least better than Guardians IMHO)
BH6 is considered a suitable IP (groan) but I’ve not seen it assigned anywhere in the park.

Frankiepopsicles

Is the Projected E ticket the Falcon Ride or something not announced?

UpAllNight

Im curious how this breaks down because it seems very very excessive for what we’re getting.

I have no doubts Star Wars is costing a fair whack, but let’s remember they’ll be sharing development costs. It’s not fair for DHS to take all the costs on that one?

Toy Story Land is an off the shelf coaster that will cost $20million at the absolute max (B&M Hypers can be built for little more and they use a ton more steel). The rest of the theming should be costing very little.

The Mickey ride will have cost a bit R&D but the structure is already up and accounted for.

It doesn’t add up at all for me.

So where has $2billion gone?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom