Galaxy's Edge popularity vs Potter's popularity

mergatroid

Original Poster
Firstly let's not use this to start arguments between Disney and Universal parks. My wife and I love both parks and even though I'm no fan of the Harry Potter books or movies, I really love what Universal has done with both of their lands. I'm fairly confident that Disney will do as detailed a job with Galaxy's Edge but that's not what this thread is really about.

My main question is are there as many Star Wars fans as there are Harry Potter fans and will this reflect on the numbers that visit Uni mainly for Potter compared to the numbers that will visit the Studios mainly for Star Wars?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
This can go nowhere good.

upload_2017-12-30_9-57-0.png

mergatroid

Original Poster

Oh dear I'm assuming this response means there's been discussion of this in the past which hasn't gone well? That's not my intention so feel free mods to close this thread.

I've actually just googled 'star wars vs harry potter popularity' due to your reply Martin and discovered this which states Potter is the bigger franchise. I was really wondering about the fan base and popularity of the two as it always astounds me the numbers in the Potter lands when we visit including the amount of merchandise being sold at such high prices.

You can't say Star Wars is better than Harry Potter or vice versa at that's subjective, however I was thinking more number wise which has the potential to be more popular assuming the quality and technology being fairly equal?

ParentsOf4

Ludicrous how anyone thinks Potter has wider fan base and appeal than Star Wars. Ludicrous!
My children grew up reading the Harry Potter books.

I took them to the last 3 Star Wars movies but the audiences were mostly men 40 years old and above. There were a few children in the audience, including one child dressed as Rey.

Like you, I suspect Star Wars has a wider appeal but for those of a certain age, Harry Potter is the hands-down winner.

njDizFan

I took them to the last 3 Star Wars movies but the audiences were mostly men 40 years old and above. There were a few children in the audience, including one child dressed as Rey.

Like you, I suspect Star Wars has a wider appeal but for those of a certain age, Harry Potter is the hands-down winner.
I agree, for kids in the Gen Z age group (say 12-22), Potter was everything. Gen X has their Star Wars but millennials can be a mixed bag. Also I think Potter skews more towards females, although that may be waning. Overall SW is the winner but not for every demographic and who knows if there is a reboot or new series in the future for Potter...never say never.

Edit: general spelling and grammar issues

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh dear I'm assuming this response means there's been discussion of this in the past which hasn't gone well? That's not my intention so feel free mods to close this thread.

I've actually just googled 'star wars vs harry potter popularity' due to your reply Martin and discovered this which states Potter is the bigger franchise. I was really wondering about the fan base and popularity of the two as it always astounds me the numbers in the Potter lands when we visit including the amount of merchandise being sold at such high prices.

You can't say Star Wars is better than Harry Potter or vice versa at that's subjective, however I was thinking more number wise which has the potential to be more popular assuming the quality and technology being fairly equal?
No, no.... I mean I expect this to be a bumpy ride.

ParentsOf4

I personally am not a fan of Star Wars so Harry Potter wins this battle for me. That being said, I think Galaxy's Edge will most certainly outdo the Potter craze
Difficult to see.

Diagon Alley (IMO) remains the best land in Orlando. I grew up with Star Wars and have been a lifelong fan but based on Disney's recent work, it's hard to see Galaxy's Edge topping Diagon Alley.

Hopefully, Disney will learn from its Pandora mistakes and turn Galaxy's Edge into the all-encompassing experience that Diagon Alley is.

However, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley opened during the height of the Harry Potter craze.

Real Star Wars fans know that the height of the Star Wars craze occurred in 1977. ;)

EricsBiscuit

I've been a Star Wars nerd and Fanboy since forever. Some of my favorite memories are playing the original Star Wars Battlefronts on my PlayStation 2 with my cousin. Anyway, it could be but I think Star Wars is the biggest franchise in movie history.

EricsBiscuit

Difficult to be sure.

Diagon Alley (IMO) remains the best land in Orlando. I grew up with Star Wars and have been a lifelong fan but based on Disney's recent work, it's hard to see Galaxy's Edge topping Diagon Alley.

Hopefully, Disney will learn from its Pandora mistakes and turn Galaxy's Edge into the all-encompassing experience that Diagon Alley is.

However, Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley opened during the height of the Harry Potter craze.

Real Star Wars fans know that the height of the Star Wars craze occurred in 1977. ;)
Pandora is amazing! Its theming is unparalleled even by HP.

jhastings74

Actually, this is a pretty good question. What makes it interesting is all of the renewed interest in Star Wars vs. the renewed interest (?) in HP and the Fantastic Beasts series. (Full disclosure: I'm watching the Harry Potter Weekend on FreeForm for about the 50th time right now and I have not seen a full Star Wars movie all the way through...so my loyalty is with the boy wizard...) I would think that world wide, they would have equivalent fan base sizes, just different demographics. I'm going to sit back and keep watching this thread though to see what more people think...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom