News Flights of Wonder closing and replaced by 'UP! A Great Bird Adventure'

JohnD

I'm going to miss the show. There have been various hosts but only one Guano Joe. You know who I'm talking about. He's the definitive Guano Joe. I've seen another person play the character and it just wasn't the same. The host can be wildlife expert on hand but there was only one Guano Joe in my opinion.

Tom Morrow

I kinda disagree, I think Up is one of the weakest Pixar films. It's more or less an amazing first act, followed by an underwhelming and overly "kids daytime cartoon-y" second and third act (though a decent ending).

But they're determined to fit every Pixar IP in anywhere they can vaguely fit it. A few years ago we laughed at the idea of Test Track changing to a Cars theme. But now, with Guardians of the Galaxy going in next door, we know there is nothing stopping them.

The Empress Lilly

Ugh, Up.

Why oh why does Disney need to idiotify it's productions? :grumpy:

Pray he never does something like this-

Kilimanjaro Safaris to add Lion King show scenes.
:banghead::banghead:

Gorilla Falls to add Tarzan theming.

Maharajah Jungle Trek to add Jungle Book theming.
^^ Dat exactly what's happening to World Showcase right now.

Disney reality always beats parody. :banghead:

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Do we think they are taking the theatre and the live birds out? I was of a mind that this was just going to be kind of the same show with the birds flying, just with Russell taking over the helm as the "narrator" type of thing. Have we heard how long before the new attraction opens?
It will still feature live birds.

Opening is by Earth Day.

jakeman

It will still feature live birds.

Opening is by Earth Day.
A giant Kevin AA or puppet (not like that stupid dinosaur abomination froma few years ago, more like Lucky) would be a pretty cool addition.

Still won't see it if it has bird, because, you know...they are flying demons that might peck your eyes out.

Marc Davis Fan

The sad thing is that at least one of those was a very real proposal to my recollection. Speaking of the Lion King, how long until WDW gets the soundtrack on the JC savannah like Tokyo does?

Would you say that the major DAK attractions are probably all safe from getting IP overlays through the end of, say, 2020? If not, is there anything you can say about prospects/plans?

Considering the extraordinary quality and "lived-in" realism of its immersive environments, I would consider DAK to be the park that would be the most seriously harmed by IP additions / overlays.

Magic Feather

Would you say that the major DAK attractions are probably all safe from getting IP overlays through the end of, say, 2020? If not, is there anything you can say about prospects/plans?

Considering the extraordinary quality and "lived-in" realism of its immersive environments, I would consider DAK to be the park that would be the most seriously harmed by IP additions / overlays.
Most Likely Yes. We have about a year to see if a certain proposal becomes a dark horse, but for now, everything should remain. Also, for what it's worth, Everest is 100% safe from IP. Kali has had a proposal here and there (all of which would probably be an upgrade disregarding thematic integrity), we have a bit for Dinoland (most likely to be iP) and all I have heard for Kilamanjaro was something that I believe the animal team shot down. I doubt Kilamanjaro will see IP anytime soon.

RSoxNo1

Most Likely Yes. We have about a year to see if a certain proposal becomes a dark horse, but for now, everything should remain. Also, for what it's worth, Everest is 100% safe from IP. Kali has had a proposal here and there (all of which would probably be an upgrade disregarding thematic integrity), we have a bit for Dinoland (most likely to be iP) and all I have heard for Kilamanjaro was something that I believe the animal team shot down. I doubt Kilamanjaro will see IP anytime soon.
Jungle Book to Kali / Anandapur makes some sense and can be done while maintaining relevant architecture. I know that's not explicitly what you're saying but it's too logical for them to not be at least thinking about it.

The Empress Lilly

IP in DAK is not blasphemy.

The nearest thing to UPcharged Flights of Wonder is the old Pocahontas show, which I think was cute. Fluff and a filler perhaps, but a fun way to show some animals combined with a way to see a princess in a more dignified way for adults than the kiddie theater of Belle or awkward meet&gropes.

But Pocahontas was part of a toon-ishy land, and FoW is part of Asia.

Also, IP-fication (UP-fication?) is destroying Disney at an alarming rate, this is another nail in the coffin of the WDW the world fell in love with. So by default this plan is a blow to the old skool fans.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Audition Calendar (https://disneyauditions.com/audition-calendar/?aud_id=9104)

So, there will be a Asian-Indian character called Anika who will be the principle story-teller interacting with Russell and Dug. Seems Disney is doubling down on the Anandapur place-setting that Flights of Wonder finds itself in melding culture, Disney IP, and nature (the birds).

upload_2017-12-28_17-4-58.png

cjkeating

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom