News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Bender123

The devil is in the details...it's hard to justifiably claim victory if you are just in the ballpark.

But this is just musings...I'm sucking all this up like a sponge. Thanks.

That's cool...But details also change on a whim at the ground level. You can troll and act like you know better, but you are just objectively incorrect and your lack of ability to research the statements show you are also lazy or disinterested in being persuaded.

I would not consider "This ride will be based on X IP, in this location, to open on X date" to be incorrect or false based on having the queue theme not completely perfect or the track layout ahead of time. To each their own...I call that a win.

Bender123

I think the ratio here is at worst about 1 in 10, probably not even that.

Take Tron for instance. Other sites, and usual suspects, were awash with the "Tron is replacing Speedway" story. We had that debunked right at the start,

We had the closing date of GMR a couple of months ahead of the official announcement. It was correct to within about a week (just checked...five days).

Now we do sometimes have slightly conflicting opinions. Such as "Definitely not Poppins" vs "Could still be Poppins but it's not the front runner".

I suggest you start by reading the Gondola thread. That will give you a taste of just how this board differs from others. Take a note of when the first map was posted, and compare it to the one produced at D23. Strangely familiar, you'll find! Yet the one here was pieced together by some dedicated posters, and then confirmed by our insiders.

There are some seriously well informed people here, and they don't throw wild suggestions into the air. It doesn't take long to work out who are the people to follow.

I switched my summer trip months in advance of the announcement of UoE and GMR just to get a last ride near the closing date. The estimates here were within a week. I think we had that date in about February/March?

We also knew the buildings would remain basically unchanged and GotG would use the current building as a queue.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the ratio here is at worst about 1 in 10, probably not even that.

Take Tron for instance. Other sites, and usual suspects, were awash with the "Tron is replacing Speedway" story. We had that debunked right at the start,

We had the closing date of GMR a couple of months ahead of the official announcement. It was correct to within about a week.

Now we do sometimes have slightly conflicting opinions. Such as "Definitely not Poppins" vs "Could still be Poppins but it's not the front runner".

I suggest you start by reading the Gondola thread. That will give you a taste of just how this board differs from others. Take a note of when the first map was posted, and compare it to the one produced at D23. Strangely familiar, you'll find! Yet the one here was pieced together by some dedicated posters, and then confirmed by our insiders.

There are some seriously well informed people here, and they don't throw wild suggestions into the air. It doesn't take long to work out who are the people to follow.

Sounds good...personally, I'm gondola'd out, however.

Wouldn't it just be easier to dredge a channel?!?

...that's a complete joke - but typical rumor stupidity tied to what became the gondola.

What Always casts doubt is the plausible deniability used at will when rumors are just that: rumors.

Like "Brazil was confirmed...but"

Very "screamscape"

"It was a "go"...but a tornado hit and then..." It's trying to be right while being wrong.

See, in 29 years disney was so busy that they "forgot" about the prepped infrastructure in the showcase that they're just getting around to it now...
...or maybe "coincidence" morphs into "intentional" with enough history after awhile.

I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's cool...But details also change on a whim at the ground level. You can troll and act like you know better, but you are just objectively incorrect and your lack of ability to research the statements show you are also lazy or disinterested in being persuaded.

That would be incorrect on all accounts...but I'm open to the dialogue. I take it all in...but it has to be truthful as a law of averages - at a minimum.

I'm speaking in generalities...which typically have to be analyzed before such a pointed response. But I won't call you lazy or lacking ability...because that just doesn't seem warranted. "It's over, Johnny"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wouldn't it just be easier to dredge a channel?!?

The waterways of the Showcase Lagoon leading to Crescent Lake and then DHS is at a higher elevation over the swamp waterways and canals surrounding Epcot/DHS.

The waterway connect Showcase Lagoon and Crescent Lake at the IG is actually an elevated water bridge crossing over a canal. In order to connect the CBR, Pop, and AoA resorts to Epcot and DHS there would have to be a lot more bridge work, both waterbridges and vehicular bridges; and not simply digging a trench.

Not to mention the ferries on those waterways would not be able to keep up with demand... the wouldn't be near the size of the Seven Seas ferry.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be honest, should the sponsor not want to pay for an attraction I'd be happier going with the third pavilion on the list.

Assuming it's not kidnapped to go elsewhere.

(For the record, I'm not out to prove anything. If tables were turned I dare say I'd be wary too. And welcome!)

There's just too much history to believe any country pavilion rumors till it gets to the structural steel phase...my opinion.

But things do change...so sleep with one eye open.

Remember when Spain was "confirmed" because they did the elaborate food and wine?
...any day now.

And you seem very reasonable in these things...which is appreciated.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The waterways of the Showcase Lagoon leading to Crescent Lake and then DHS is at a higher elevation over the swamp waterways and canals surrounding Epcot/DHS.

The waterway connect Showcase Lagoon and Crescent Lake at the IG is actually an elevated water bridge crossing over a canal. In order to connect the CBR, Pop, and AoA resorts to Epcot and DHS there would have to be a lot more bridge work, both waterbridges and vehicular bridges; and not simply digging a trench.

Not to mention the ferries on those waterways would not be able to keep up with demand... the wouldn't be near the size of the Seven Seas ferry.

That was compete stupidity on my part...just joking.

I'm completely familiar with the topography in reedy creek and rejected that idea with no pause for hesitation.

But it's a good example of how odd rumors are considered that don't pass the sniff test.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Remember when Spain was "confirmed" because they did the elaborate food and wine?
...any day now.

Not here. Rumors of Spain being imminent were roundly debunked. Whether because of a booth or the movie Gigantic. Our insiders knew it was about the sponsors. And while there are rumblings of Spanish sponsors, a booth or a Disney movie does not make a rumbling 'confirmed.'

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There's just too much history to believe any country pavilion rumors till it gets to the structural steel phase...my opinion.

But things do change...so sleep with one eye open.

...any day now.

And you seem very reasonable in these things...which is appreciated.
Spain wasn't confirmed. Not by those who knew what they were talking about anyway ;) Australia (not the 1978 one) made me chuckle too.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not here. Rumors of Spain being imminent were roundly debunked. Whether because of a booth or the movie Gigantic. Our insiders knew it was about the sponsors. And while there are rumblings of Spanish sponsors, a booth or a Disney movie does not make a rumbling 'confirmed.'

...which brings up the point that Brazil's economy is being held together by shoestring and cable ties...and the political climate isn't great either...and the size is that markets contribution to wdw is overstated.

...again, wait and see

Epcot82Guy

...which brings up the point that Brazil's economy is being held together by shoestring and cable ties...and the political climate isn't great either...and the size is that markets contribution to wdw is overstated.

...again, wait and see

Agreed. Though, correct me if I'm wrong, it seemed there was an ironic new model of potentially looking at businesses from the countries as sponsors vs. the countries themselves. I know that is a vague idea at best in the general public, but it seems to have some credibility and legs from what I've read. (Leaving aside the great irony that the corporate sponsor issue would then be killing Future World while being the savior of World Showcase.)

nickys

Premium Member
Spain wasn't confirmed. Not by those who knew what they were talking about anyway ;) Australia (not the 1978 one) made me chuckle too.

Martin, I saw a reply to a post of yours I can't find ..... ;)

Something about "If Brazil doesn't come off I'd be happy to go with no. 3 on the list. Assuming it isn't kidnapped to go elsewhere"

I assume this has to be something to do with AK? Like plans for the next phase, to include a ride very much based on a country that is also in the running to be added to WS?

IIRC, Egypt, Greece and India were all bandied about in the discussion over Brazil.

Any further hints you can give us?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. Though, correct me if I'm wrong, it seemed there was an ironic new model of potentially looking at businesses from the countries as sponsors vs. the countries themselves. I know that is a vague idea at best in the general public, but it seems to have some credibility and legs from what I've read. (Leaving aside the great irony that the corporate sponsor issue would then be killing Future World while being the savior of World Showcase.)

That was actually the original angle...it's a misnomer that "countries" sponsored the pavilions. Never the case - save morocco - it was corporations representing/based in those countries that did/signed the agreements. They've all dried up long ago...which doesn't seem like a coincidence when looking at a 29 year drought between pavilions.

The Epcot sponsorship model is complex and not exceptionally effective anymore - as we all have seen (if you know where to look). Which is why new country rumors are automatically the most suspect.

And before anyone says "but we're different here"...

1. I am considering that and hope that everyone is proven right. Cause who doesn't like new stuff?
2. What rumblings (if you're into that term better) have been more frequent with less accuracy on the Internet fandom sites than new country? The answer is "none"...with logical reason behind it.
3. I'm more of an "operational" guy anyway...it's just that "rumors" tend to be the most cerebral of discussion forums.

I mean - I can show you my itinerary of character meals on the planning forums...but isn't that kinda silly?

4. Affirmations on chat boards are like snowballs rolling down hill...they take a while to build sustainable momentum.

They also tend to be "pack" mentality...you'd be surprised at how even sages grow on people and get automatic likes after awhile.

(Sorry...I had to address the unnecessary patronizing that I got...which seems
To now be deleted...and why waste a good combo post?)

Last edited:

Epcot82Guy

That was actually the original angle...it's a misnomer that "countries" sponsored the pavilions. Never the case - save morocco - it was corporations representing/based in those countries that did/signed the agreements. They've all dried up long ago...which doesn't seem like a coincidence when looking at a 29 year drought between pavilions.

The Epcot sponsorship model is complex and not exceptionally effective anymore - as we all have seen (if you know where to look). Which is why new country rumors are automatically the most suspect.

Ah - that's a bit of history I wasn't aware of. I appreciate that background. I know the sponsorship model has a lot of twists and complexities - both within Epcot/Disney and societal trends generally. "Naming" rights carry different factors now than they did before.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom