Disney California Adventure - Remodel or Refurb?

AceAstro

I think #1 is ideal for old Hollywood especially given ToT looming on the horizon. Monsters Inc could be converted into some sort of Great Disney movie ride or even a D Tracy Crime Stoppers attraction that was originally slated for MGM Studios.
dicktracyscrimestoppers2.jpg

latest
I would love the Dick Tracy ride. It was one of the best things that was planned for MGM Studios behind the whole muppet land. I would be all for putting it in place of Monsters Inc. By using Stage 17 beside it, that should be enough room I'd think.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I agree that #1 should be 1940’s, as #3 is considered for Colonial México, and #2 for Stark Expo.

Thanks, I try my best!

—————-
So I was thinking that maybe each Land could be a phase that opens each year:
Phase 1 (2015): 1940’s Hollywood
Phase 2 (2016): San Francisco
Phase 3 (2017): Coast Land (Pacific Wharf?)
Phase 4 (2018): San Fransokyo
Phase 5 (2019): Stark Expo
Phase 6 (2020): Colonial México

@D Hindley, I really like the idea of a Conquistador Era ride, however I’m concerned about how family friendly it would be, what are your ideas for it? Because another option could be a Don Quijote dark ride for representing the Spanish Heritage, and making Coco the Boat Ride?
Hmm would an alternative version of @D Hindley 's Pacific Wharf for Sydney Disneyland be able to merge with the actual Pacific Wharf in #4 - and redesign that whole central portion of the theme park?

I could see that molding into the Lombard Street attraction that he created taking over Goofy Sky School and another attraction taking over Ariel, with restaurants, shops, ambiance taking over the current Pacific Wharf themed to turn of the century San Francisco.

iirc, there is/was a gangster shooter ride in that land. So that may need to be taken into account for 1940s Hollywood and Crime Stoppers

If that was 'Phase 1' that could follow in the footsteps of 2012's redo of the entrance and 2015's redo of Grizzly Peak Airfield to round out the trifecta of new thematic design of the park's entrance lands.

Not sure where San Fransokyo came from (if we have a San Fran land though that might be a bit repetitive), but I would save Hollywood and Marvel for the final phases in 2020/2021 since those are the big land changes that would require a lot of planning. As for Colonial Mexico - there are a lot of Spanish roots in California, but would it be worth an entire land?

I'm thinking Colonial Mexico could be a transition out of Cars Land (#2 on the map) and into 1940s Hollywood, leaving #3 open to future expansion with a fork in the road from Cars Land's east entrance to Colonial Mexico (either to an expansion if Coco is successful, or so other route)

Save Marvel for #6, separating it from any time period land, and giving it plenty of room to breathe and create either a coaster, dark ride, or both in a Stark Expo setting.

So for me I'd probably shoot for

2012 - Cars Land/Buena Vista Street
2015 - Grizzley Peak Airfield
2017 - Pacific Wharf - 1905 San Francisco (construction started in 2015)
2018 - Colonial Mexico (construction started in 2016)
2019 ------- Star Wars Land opens in Disneyland ---------
2020 - 1940s Hollywood (construction started in 2017)
2021 - Marvel Stark Expo (construction started in 2017) - opens with 50th anniversary of WDW
2021 ------- 4th Resort Hotel opens --------

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
I don't remember if Paradise Pier has been discussed - but that too is technically a timepiece to old California boardwalks of the early 20th century, so that's another 'era' land

It's one of my favorite lands in the park -- so with all the other construction projects we'd have going on - I can't see too much changing with Paradise Pier.
Paradise-Pier-Pano-copy.jpg

AceAstro

I don't remember if Paradise Pier has been discussed - but that too is technically a timepiece to old California boardwalks of the early 20th century, so that's another 'era' land

It's one of my favorite lands in the park -- so with all the other construction projects we'd have going on - I can't see too much changing with Paradise Pier.
Paradise-Pier-Pano-copy.jpg
I agree. Paradise Pier is pretty good. I mean we can add to it (like something where the Maliboomer was) but there would be no need for any major changes in that part of the park.

DisneyFan18

Hmm would an alternative version of @D Hindley 's Pacific Wharf for Sydney Disneyland be able to merge with the actual Pacific Wharf in #4 - and redesign that whole central portion of the theme park?

I could see that molding into the Lombard Street attraction that he created taking over Goofy Sky School and another attraction taking over Ariel, with restaurants, shops, ambiance taking over the current Pacific Wharf themed to turn of the century San Francisco.

iirc, there is/was a gangster shooter ride in that land. So that may need to be taken into account for 1940s Hollywood and Crime Stoppers

If that was 'Phase 1' that could follow in the footsteps of 2012's redo of the entrance and 2015's redo of Grizzly Peak Airfield to round out the trifecta of new thematic design of the park's entrance lands.

Not sure where San Fransokyo came from (if we have a San Fran land though that might be a bit repetitive), but I would save Hollywood and Marvel for the final phases in 2020/2021 since those are the big land changes that would require a lot of planning. As for Colonial Mexico - there are a lot of Spanish roots in California, but would it be worth an entire land?

I'm thinking Colonial Mexico could be a transition out of Cars Land (#2 on the map) and into 1940s Hollywood, leaving #3 open to future expansion with a fork in the road from Cars Land's east entrance to Colonial Mexico (either to an expansion if Coco is successful, or so other route)

Save Marvel for #6, separating it from any time period land, and giving it plenty of room to breathe and create either a coaster, dark ride, or both in a Stark Expo setting.

So for me I'd probably shoot for

2012 - Cars Land/Buena Vista Street
2015 - Grizzley Peak Airfield
2017 - Pacific Wharf - 1905 San Francisco (construction started in 2015)
2018 - Colonial Mexico (construction started in 2016)
2019 ------- Star Wars Land opens in Disneyland ---------
2020 - 1940s Hollywood (construction started in 2017)
2021 - Marvel Stark Expo (construction started in 2017) - opens with 50th anniversary of WDW
2021 ------- 4th Resort Hotel opens --------
I like your timeline better.
San Fransokyo is an Expansion to San Francisco, a mini land based on BH6. As the old San Francisco would contain attractions for Inside Out and the Muppets.
Pacif Wharf could have the Lombard Street attraction you mentioned and have the Ariel area be redone to the Marine Life Institute for the Nemo ride, as previously proposed.
There’s a big Latino community in California, and historically it belonged to a México for a long time, so going by theme of what can’t be visited any longer in California, I would consider it justifies being a Land.
And what attractions are being considered for Hollywood, besides Roger Rabbit, ToT, and the Theater Show? Because I would love the Shooter game, but Stark Expo is potentially receiving one, so I feel like the Great Movie rife idea sounds better!

D Hulk

Neat ideas all around! I like @spacemt354's suggestion to expand Sydney Disneyland's Pacific Wharf (1905 San Francisco) from DCA's Pacific Wharf out along the lagoon front, taking over Ariel, Goofy's Sky School, Jumpin' Jellyfish and the Golden Zephyr. Some of those attractions might retheme, some might vanish. And the Paradise Pier across the water (which remains unchanged) can take on more design elements from the Santa Cruz boardwalk, which is geographically close to San Francisco.

From memory, some of what Sydney's Pacific Wharf had:
* An original Tower of Terror which took inspiration from the Winchester Mystery House. We're keeping DCA's Tower themed to Hollywood, so we could consider some other sort of attraction for Winchester if there's interest
* The Alcatraz version of Tom Sawyer's Island. May not be needed, but still a fun theme.
* The cable car transportation attraction. It's redundant with DCA's Red Car Trolley.
* The Lombard Street wild mouse coaster, which can easily replace Goofy's Sky School.
* I'd proposed a Chinatown shooter dark ride attraction, about recapturing escaped monsters from Chinese myth. Was meant for Sydney's Phase 2. Never wrote it.

Contemporary Bay Area is very tonally unique from 1905 Pacific Wharf, and there's a lot of IP it can offer. Inside Out. Big Hero 6. TRON. Much of that has a sci-fi angle, something DCA is lacking (though a Marvel expansion would have that tone). Perhaps if we designated a Silicon Valley land for the modern sci-fi stuff, it wouldn't feel redundant with an old school SF.

A potential Marvel area could fit well alongside this sort of setting. I could see these two lands (Marvel, sci-fi San Fran) both fitting the western Simba Lot pad.

For Colonial Mexico, I'd say there's enough there to justify a land. I've proposed a historical water ride akin to POTC, something DCA needs anyway. There's also Zorro, who figures into the era when California switched from Mexico to U.S. statehood...could be good stunt show material. And geography and time period aside, I'm for a Coco attraction for this land too. The Dia de los Muertos afterlife is a rich topic, and I can see an interactive guitar dark ride being really special. Let's assume our 2012-era timetable leaves an empty spot in this land for Phase 2; once 2017 rolls around, Coco is a go! (For the Bug's Land space and the pad behind TOT.)

1940s Hollywood already claims the pre-GOTG Tower. To that we can add Roger Rabbit, Muppets (they can cross time periods with ease, like in Liberty Square), Dick Tracy's Crimestoppers, and I might add The Rocketeer. He's late '30s Hollywood, and has amazing ride potential! For something non-IP, there's a common fan concept for a Hollywood version of Mystic Manor, something like an enchanted film projector which belongs to a faded starlet like Gloria Swanson in Sunset Blvd., a projector which brings old movie scenes to life.

The whole Backlot area (everything north of the Trolley street, including Monsters Inc.) could be thematically strengthened. Perhaps it could be a period studio backlot, or it could totally retool into something like the Hollywood Hills, where the rich and famous live. I like the Hills version (though it requires razing all the soundstage buildings that are there now) because it's more park-like and organic.

Buena Vista Street, Paradise Pier, Cars Land and the Grizzly Peak/Airfield areas are pretty solid already.

D Hulk

@D Hindley, I really like the idea of a Conquistador Era ride, however I’m concerned about how family friendly it would be, what are your ideas for it? Because another option could be a Don Quijote dark ride for representing the Spanish Heritage, and making Coco the Boat Ride?
The conquistador boat ride is merely a notion. Something humorous in the vein of Pirates, which made pillage and plunder fun for the whole family. It still remains a tricky area, with the controversy surrounding Spain's treatment of the Californio natives. Maybe a more factual/historical EPCOT approach could work?

DisneyFan18

The conquistador boat ride is merely a notion. Something humorous in the vein of Pirates, which made pillage and plunder fun for the whole family. It still remains a tricky area, with the controversy surrounding Spain's treatment of the Californio natives. Maybe a more factual/historical EPCOT approach could work?
Maybe it can tell the story of the Aztecs, and end with Tenochtitlán in flames, then a drop that takes you to a modern México, where their story and culture remained somehow? And it could have a restaurant view there ala Epcot Pavilion?

DisneyFan18

Neat ideas all around! I like @spacemt354's suggestion to expand Sydney Disneyland's Pacific Wharf (1905 San Francisco) from DCA's Pacific Wharf out along the lagoon front, taking over Ariel, Goofy's Sky School, Jumpin' Jellyfish and the Golden Zephyr. Some of those attractions might retheme, some might vanish. And the Paradise Pier across the water (which remains unchanged) can take on more design elements from the Santa Cruz boardwalk, which is geographically close to San Francisco.

From memory, some of what Sydney's Pacific Wharf had:
* An original Tower of Terror which took inspiration from the Winchester Mystery House. We're keeping DCA's Tower themed to Hollywood, so we could consider some other sort of attraction for Winchester if there's interest
* The Alcatraz version of Tom Sawyer's Island. May not be needed, but still a fun theme.
* The cable car transportation attraction. It's redundant with DCA's Red Car Trolley.
* The Lombard Street wild mouse coaster, which can easily replace Goofy's Sky School.
* I'd proposed a Chinatown shooter dark ride attraction, about recapturing escaped monsters from Chinese myth. Was meant for Sydney's Phase 2. Never wrote it.

Contemporary Bay Area is very tonally unique from 1905 Pacific Wharf, and there's a lot of IP it can offer. Inside Out. Big Hero 6. TRON. Much of that has a sci-fi angle, something DCA is lacking (though a Marvel expansion would have that tone). Perhaps if we designated a Silicon Valley land for the modern sci-fi stuff, it wouldn't feel redundant with an old school SF.

A potential Marvel area could fit well alongside this sort of setting. I could see these two lands (Marvel, sci-fi San Fran) both fitting the western Simba Lot pad.

For Colonial Mexico, I'd say there's enough there to justify a land. I've proposed a historical water ride akin to POTC, something DCA needs anyway. There's also Zorro, who figures into the era when California switched from Mexico to U.S. statehood...could be good stunt show material. And geography and time period aside, I'm for a Coco attraction for this land too. The Dia de los Muertos afterlife is a rich topic, and I can see an interactive guitar dark ride being really special. Let's assume our 2012-era timetable leaves an empty spot in this land for Phase 2; once 2017 rolls around, Coco is a go! (For the Bug's Land space and the pad behind TOT.)

1940s Hollywood already claims the pre-GOTG Tower. To that we can add Roger Rabbit, Muppets (they can cross time periods with ease, like in Liberty Square), **** Tracy's Crimestoppers, and I might add The Rocketeer. He's late '30s Hollywood, and has amazing ride potential! For something non-IP, there's a common fan concept for a Hollywood version of Mystic Manor, something like an enchanted film projector which belongs to a faded starlet like Gloria Swanson in Sunset Blvd., a projector which brings old movie scenes to life.

The whole Backlot area (everything north of the Trolley street, including Monsters Inc.) could be thematically strengthened. Perhaps it could be a period studio backlot, or it could totally retool into something like the Hollywood Hills, where the rich and famous live. I like the Hills version (though it requires razing all the soundstage buildings that are there now) because it's more park-like and organic.

Buena Vista Street, Paradise Pier, Cars Land and the Grizzly Peak/Airfield areas are pretty solid already.
I like all of your ideas! The Muppets big prescence in 1940’s is amazing, as I feel they are underused. Just a question, should we scrap the Marine Life Institute for a Nemo attraction, then?

D Hulk

Maybe it can tell the story of the Aztecs, and end with Tenochtitlán in flames, then a drop that takes you to a modern México, where their story and culture remained somehow? And it could have a restaurant view there ala Epcot Pavilion?
While that sounds like a great ride idea, it’s more Mexico than California. Would be fantastic for Epcot.

Gotta research Cali history more tonight.
I like all of your ideas! The Muppets big prescence in 1940’s is amazing, as I feel they are underused. Just a question, should we scrap the Marine Life Institute for a Nemo attraction, then?
Hmm, not sure. How does everyone else feel about this?

AceAstro

I will never turn down a Muppets attraction. And I think scrapping the Nemo attraction makes sense. It saves us from having to figure out a new thing to go in the Lagoon too.

DisneyFan18

While that sounds like a great ride idea, it’s more Mexico than California. Would be fantastic for Epcot.

Gotta research Cali history more tonight.

Hmm, not sure. How does everyone else feel about this?
I did some research, it seems there wasn't much going in California until the Spanish arrived, so maybe the story could be about being sent in an exploration trip to the unknown lands of the north of New Spain, and the story develops as the New Spain people began colonizing it by establishing the San Diego Bay, or how the first pueblitos were built because of the Missions, the climax of the ride could be the pueblo we saw being built from scratch being attacked by some bandits, then there could be a small drop, followed by arriving to the closing scene where the restaurant would be and it could showcase how the Mexican/Latino culture still lives in California?

DisneyFan18

I will never turn down a Muppets attraction. And I think scrapping the Nemo attraction makes sense. It saves us from having to figure out a new thing to go in the Lagoon too.
I was thinking of using the old concept of The Great Muppet Ride for the 1940's, it could be some sort of funny reiteration of the Great Movi Ride. And returning the Muppets 3D Show as well, with a live show like the one in MK as @D Hindley said, would make a nice Muppet sub area!

And if everyone is in favor of scratching Nemo it's fine by me, I just thought it would free the space for the Frozen Land that seems to be eventually coming, and since it would have Matterhorn close, it would fit better there than at another place. And since The Marine Life Instute was in California and we didn't know what to do with the Little Mermaid, I felt it would be an efficient solution :)

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Maybe I misread it or imagined it - but was one of the goals of the project to be as little reliant on IP as possible?

Only saying that because I think we have the potential to create something more in line with DisneySEA, which I know that it also contains IP attractions but I think it might be easier to brainstorm the non-IP attractions first for each of these areas, and then when we feel like we are struggling to come up with something original, can work in a seamless IP?

Poe Dameron

Haven't been around here in a while, but this looks like a fun project.

Could I suggest not using Marvel at all? A Marvel land fits better where it's going in Hong Kong, but to need California references takes away New York or other areas that are essential to the stories like Avengers Tower.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Haven't been around here in a while, but this looks like a fun project.

Could I suggest not using Marvel at all? A Marvel land fits better where it's going in Hong Kong, but to need California references takes away New York or other areas that are essential to the stories like Avengers Tower.
I can see what you mean. On the other hand there are plenty of usable characters that live in California, but you would be missing out on the NYC setting for people like Spider-Man and Dr. Strange, as well as other popular characters in outer space.

DisneyFan18

I’ve got some questions:
1.- If we don’t follow with the Stark Expo, what should be done with a Bug’s Land?
2.- Is San Francisco still going on the #6 and #7 expansion plot?
3.- What use should be given to Paradise Park + Pacific Wharf? As I previously proposed it could be used as a Bay Area, like San Diego or something like that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom