Disney California Adventure - Remodel or Refurb?

kmbmw777

I was thinking a fun exercise could be trying to take the park as is now, even with Mission Breakout, and edit the new plans Disney has for both Pixar Pier and Marvel and the rest of the park while we are at it!

Mission Breakout is gonna make it tough - but one of my ideas to counter that was to simply wall off that side of the park into a 'Marvel Studios' backlot area - where you step underneath an archway, transitioning similar to how you go from London to Diagon Alley in Universal.

There you don't need the 'California tie' because the Studio is the California tie.
My idea for the area around GotG is retheme “a bugs land” to Stark Galactic Expo. Essentially, a play on the concept from Iron Man II, set after Infinity War where Tony is unifying the Galaxy together, exposing new ideas in LA (where the original Stark Expo was).

This would allow for the Collector to set up an exhibit hall, and the story proceeds. Also we could add tons of Easter eggs and limitless ideas for marvel attractions that make sense.

This violates my rule of no IP lands but it makes sense to me as the best way to tell the Guardians Story in California. After all, during the ride Rocket yells “Hey look. We’re in disneyland. That’s cool!”

Last edited:

D Hulk

Jumping in as a DCA regular. Prepare for a rant! It’s heartbreaking to me what’s happening to DCA with Mission: BREAKOUT and Pixar Pier. They’re cheapening everything they fixed! Once from Grizzly Airfield, you could see the Tower directly behind the Carthay Circle Theater, and it was a beautiful confluence of elements designed to work together in visual harmony. Now the Tower’s the architectural version of a BSOD, visible from the whole park and ruining everything.

Regarding Disney’s present mania with stuffing IPs wherever they can, I’m more against it now than I’ve EVER been! They hobbled an entire beautiful park to give the Guardians a ride honesty below their stature. Watch, in two weeks once Coco becomes the next huge craze, they’ll be obsessing with smushing Mexican stuff into Space Mountain or something.

But of all Disney’s second (third, fourth) gates worldwide, there’s only one with annual attendance that’s neck-and-neck with its neighbor castle park...and that’s DisneySea. What’s the difference? The park is coherent! Even recent IP overlays, like Nemo replacing StormRider, are artful and don’t undermine what’s already working. IPs there are chosen for appropriateness, with lands that support the IP but aren’t wedded to it (like Arabian Coast being more than just Aladdin). Japan’s lucky to have the OLC, whose sole financial concern is with improving the parks, not on abusing them for promoting some thematically incoherent brand.

I’m with @kmbmw777 that an ideal DCA could be mostly original, with an even greater focus on California’s history and myths than they were able to achieve with their brilliant 2012 DCA 2.0. Why is there no San Francisco land?! (Not to self-promote, but Sydney Disneyland’s Pacific Wharf could genuinely fit DCA.) Why no land for the Spanish or Mexican eras, pre statehood? Do a 1940s Hollywood land, but romanticize/fantasize it with like a Roger Rabbit element. Popular or no, using IPs like that just fits. Cars Land, with its ties to Californian road desert culture, fits organically. So could like Inside Out or TRON or Big Hero 6 in a more contemporary San Francisco. For Marvel, the state already claims Iron Man and Ant-Man, so make those characters FIT instead of sledgehammering in the Guardians. Sink your teeth into Californian stuff! Where’s the Winchester Mystery House? Bigfoot? Zorro? Conquistador boat ride akin to POTC? Enchanted Hollywood projector version of Mystic Manor?

The 2012 reboot was an amazing step towards an idealized DCA, a far more successful effort than I’d have considered possible considering the 2001 original park. Buena Vista Street remains one of my favorite lands ever. And attendance increased!!! Why now swerve away from the strategies that fixed the park?

DisneyFan18

I completely agree with @D Hindley, personally I would love to see a San Fransisco Land with a BH6 and and Inside Out dark rides! Also the idea of a Mexican Based land with a Coco attraction and the Conquistador boat ride would be amazing, it could also feature some ip less show akin to the Coco Musical Celebration with live Mariachi and dancers! And moving Roger Rabbit to a 1940's Hollywood Land would be great solution to keep a classic, as it seems MMRR is going to ToonTown :(

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Well they could rename it to disney adventure and I would have no problem with it. so refurb
On their current collision course, a rename and rebrand of the park seems likely.

To me it's just so bizarre though

The DCA 2.0 Project brought new life and a fresh California flair to the park - and it seems like all the progress that was made to the park to make it feel more immersive is being upended by the inclusion of IPs that don't fit.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Jumping in as a DCA regular. Prepare for a rant! It’s heartbreaking to me what’s happening to DCA with Mission: BREAKOUT and Pixar Pier. They’re cheapening everything they fixed! Once from Grizzly Airfield, you could see the Tower directly behind the Carthay Circle Theater, and it was a beautiful confluence of elements designed to work together in visual harmony. Now the Tower’s the architectural version of a BSOD, visible from the whole park and ruining everything.

Regarding Disney’s present mania with stuffing IPs wherever they can, I’m more against it now than I’ve EVER been! They hobbled an entire beautiful park to give the Guardians a ride honesty below their stature. Watch, in two weeks once Coco becomes the next huge craze, they’ll be obsessing with smushing Mexican stuff into Space Mountain or something.

But of all Disney’s second (third, fourth) gates worldwide, there’s only one with annual attendance that’s neck-and-neck with its neighbor castle park...and that’s DisneySea. What’s the difference? The park is coherent! Even recent IP overlays, like Nemo replacing StormRider, are artful and don’t undermine what’s already working. IPs there are chosen for appropriateness, with lands that support the IP but aren’t wedded to it (like Arabian Coast being more than just Aladdin). Japan’s lucky to have the OLC, whose sole financial concern is with improving the parks, not on abusing them for promoting some thematically incoherent brand.

I’m with @kmbmw777 that an ideal DCA could be mostly original, with an even greater focus on California’s history and myths than they were able to achieve with their brilliant 2012 DCA 2.0. Why is there no San Francisco land?! (Not to self-promote, but Sydney Disneyland’s Pacific Wharf could genuinely fit DCA.) Why no land for the Spanish or Mexican eras, pre statehood? Do a 1940s Hollywood land, but romanticize/fantasize it with like a Roger Rabbit element. Popular or no, using IPs like that just fits. Cars Land, with its ties to Californian road desert culture, fits organically. So could like Inside Out or TRON or Big Hero 6 in a more contemporary San Francisco. For Marvel, the state already claims Iron Man and Ant-Man, so make those characters FIT instead of sledgehammering in the Guardians. Sink your teeth into Californian stuff! Where’s the Winchester Mystery House? Bigfoot? Zorro? Conquistador boat ride akin to POTC? Enchanted Hollywood projector version of Mystic Manor?

The 2012 reboot was an amazing step towards an idealized DCA, a far more successful effort than I’d have considered possible considering the 2001 original park. Buena Vista Street remains one of my favorite lands ever. And attendance increased!!! Why now swerve away from the strategies that fixed the park?
The 2012 reboot was actually what brought us out to Disneyland for the first time, and we liked it so much, we went back again in 2013!

And the Grizzly Airfield refurb looks so enticing to see as the quaint connection between the Grand Californian and DCA was amazing already. I can't imagine how good it looks now!

I agree, your Pacific Wharf would be an excellent San Fran inspired land...again -- transporting you to a time period in California in which you can't visit!

AceAstro

On their current collision course, a rename and rebrand of the park seems likely.

The DCA 2.0 Project brought new life and a fresh California flair to the park - and it seems like all the progress that was made to the park to make it feel more immersive is being upended by the inclusion of IPs that don't fit.
So what if, we changed this a little bit and did an open brainstorming project of continuing DCA 2.0 from like 2014-2015 before forcing in the IP’s? That way we can adjust it and use IP’s, or the lack thereof, how we want.

TwilightZone

To me it was bizarre too. Until mickey views supposedly found evidence they have been planning pixar pier for a long, LONG time. seems ips were always going to be the end result, no matter what. sad

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
To me it was bizarre too. Until mickey views supposedly found evidence they have been planning pixar pier for a long, LONG time. seems ips were always going to be the end result, no matter what. sad
Pixar Pier sounds more like a gag thread idea on here where you try and find places to stuff IPs where they are unnecessary.

If they've wanted this for a long time that is...scary.

D Hulk

I like these ideas to continue developing DCA from where it was just prior to Mission: BREAKOUT. We could even retheme the Tower of Terror to some non-Twilight Zone concept, only not Marvel.

The Pixar Pier concept art seems so allover-the-place to me. It's not even internally coherent, mixing and matching unrelated Pixar properties as though filling a checklist. Which is a shame, because there's a tasteful version of a Toy Story pier park which they could've used:
zONVFnqtkHfATQhljlurCx_d11fL4j2HC2swThiElVvKMB_FKbUtINt9a6TrxpQ4Bb3gOGENAAfNmzBflU3vKY5aKNVF6tt_AX1EHN177pt5qeYw9gm38sPKySimfYY=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu

AceAstro

I like these ideas to continue developing DCA from where it was just prior to Mission: BREAKOUT. We could even retheme the Tower of Terror to some non-Twilight Zone concept, only not Marvel.

The Pixar Pier concept art seems so allover-the-place to me. It's not even internally coherent, mixing and matching unrelated Pixar properties as though filling a checklist. Which is a shame, because there's a tasteful version of a Toy Story pier park which they could've used:
zONVFnqtkHfATQhljlurCx_d11fL4j2HC2swThiElVvKMB_FKbUtINt9a6TrxpQ4Bb3gOGENAAfNmzBflU3vKY5aKNVF6tt_AX1EHN177pt5qeYw9gm38sPKySimfYY=w1200-h630-p-k-no-nu
I feel like they tried to copy this design with what they already had there. If they did some proper work to Pixar Pier I feel like it could have some potential.

DisneyFan18

Some ideas,
What will soon be called Paradise Park, could be use as the space for the Mexican-esque Land to feature Coco, Conquistador Boat Ride, and a Mariachi Live Show.
The Hollywood Backlot along side with the Tower of Terror (I like the theme), could be used for the 1940's Hollywood Land that would feature Roger Rabit.
HollywoodLand could become San Francisco, with attractions for both BH6 and Inside Out, and maybe a theater show could also be added, and/or give the Muppets their theater back?
A Bug's Land could become Stark Expo featuring an Ant Man shooter game and the Iron Man Experience.
I've got no ideas for Paradise Pier, maybe keep it as it is?

What do you guys think?

AceAstro

The Hollywood Backlot along side with the Tower of Terror (I like the theme), could be used for the 1940's Hollywood Land that would feature Roger Rabit.
I love this. I’d love the whole Hollywood Land area to be 1940’s-ish to fit with ToT.

Something to keep in mind as well, because of the time we are doing this, the Hyperion Theatre still has Aladdin and not Frozen. Personally, I’m okay with this but there could always be a different show to put in there too.

DisneyFan18

I love this. I’d love the whole Hollywood Land area to be 1940’s-ish to fit with ToT.

Something to keep in mind as well, because of the time we are doing this, the Hyperion Theatre still has Aladdin and not Frozen. Personally, I’m okay with this but there could always be a different show to put in there too.
Just to make sure I'm not messing up things, the Hollywood Backlot is the area behind ToT (where the avengers coaster might be going?), or behind Monsters, Inc. Because I was referring to the land behind ToT...

And I feel like Alddin could remain as the show in the Hyperion Theater, unless anyone has a better idea. Maybe a Mary Poppins show could also work, to honor Walt, but I'm not sure. What do you think? :)

D Hulk

There are a few expansion pads we can keep in mind, particularly if some of our newer ideas need more room.

There’s space behind the Tower of Terror which could connect to A Bugs Land. Whatever that gets turned into gets more room!

Longer term, when the Eastern Gateway project was still being considered (new parking structure and transportation center east of the parks), that meant the bus terminals directly north of Monsters Inc were considered for expanding Hollywood.

Lastly, there’s the Simba Lot west of Paradise Pier, across the street near the Paradise Pier Hotel. It’s enough space for another whole land or two. (The street could go below grade like it does under Downtown Disney and park guests wouldn’t even notice it.) I think San Francisco offers SO much potential, it could go over here. Maybe with one side of a lagoon for old SF, the other for more contemporary stuff like San Fransokyo.

AceAstro

Just to make sure I'm not messing up things, the Hollywood Backlot is the area behind ToT (where the avengers coaster might be going?), or behind Monsters, Inc. Because I was referring to the land behind ToT...

And I feel like Alddin could remain as the show in the Hyperion Theater, unless anyone has a better idea. Maybe a Mary Poppins show could also work, to honor Walt, but I'm not sure. What do you think? :)
Oh that’s true. I was thinking of the area in front of ToT

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom