Disney California Adventure - Remodel or Refurb?

DisneyFan18

There are a few expansion pads we can keep in mind, particularly if some of our newer ideas need more room.

There’s space behind the Tower of Terror which could connect to A Bugs Land. Whatever that gets turned into gets more room!

Longer term, when the Eastern Gateway project was still being considered (new parking structure and transportation center east of the parks), that meant the bus terminals directly north of Monsters Inc were considered for expanding Hollywood.

Lastly, there’s the Simba Lot west of Paradise Pier, across the street near the Paradise Pier Hotel. It’s enough space for another whole land or two. (The street could go below grade like it does under Downtown Disney and park guests wouldn’t even notice it.) I think San Francisco offers SO much potential, it could go over here. Maybe with one side of a lagoon for old SF, the other for more contemporary stuff like San Fransokyo.
That is a great idea, old San Francisco with the Muppets and Inside Out, and San Fransokyo with a E-Ticket and the B-Ticket that is being used at Disneyland Tokyo?

AceAstro

Lastly, there’s the Simba Lot west of Paradise Pier, across the street near the Paradise Pier Hotel. It’s enough space for another whole land or two. (The street could go below grade like it does under Downtown Disney and park guests wouldn’t even notice it.) I think San Francisco offers SO much potential, it could go over here. Maybe with one side of a lagoon for old SF, the other for more contemporary stuff like San Fransokyo.
San Francisco definitely deserves its own area. If that means moving it to near the hotel I am all for it! How would the theming of the hotel fit with the area though? I mean it works with the view of the pier but what about the view from SF?

D Hulk

San Francisco definitely deserves its own area. If that means moving it to near the hotel I am all for it! How would the theming of the hotel fit with the area though? I mean it works with the view of the pier but what about the view from SF?
I’m not sure yet how to integrate the hotel. If it got a Victorian makeover, would that fit both SF and the pier area?

And I just realized that if DCA extends west, then the park’s new shape (if we consider the Hyperion Theater to be at its base) is actually the shape of California itself!!! (Sort of.)

AceAstro

I’m not sure yet how to integrate the hotel. If it got a Victorian makeover, would that fit both SF and the pier area?

And I just realized that if DCA extends west, then the park’s new shape (if we consider the Hyperion Theater to be at its base) is actually the shape of California itself!!! (Sort of.)
I think we have to do that now... That’d fit way too perfectly to have the Californian park be the shape of California.

DisneyFan18

That would be amazing! It would be so thematically perfect!

D Hulk

So, what should be done with Hollywood Land then? If San Francisco is moving next to Paradise Pier, and 1940's Hollywood Land could potentially go behind ToT? Also where do you guys think the Colonial Mexico Land fits better in Paradise Park or ... ?
The Colonial Mexico Land could instead go behind the Tower instead (the Tower’s backside could fit the old mission style buildings) and 1940s Hollywood gets the Holllywood Land area. No idea what then happens in Paradise Pier. Maybe coastal California like Big Sur or Monterrey...which is roughly where the Marine Life Institute from Finding Dory is located.

DisneyFan18

The Colonial Mexico Land could instead go behind the Tower instead (the Tower’s backside could fit the old mission style buildings) and 1940s Hollywood gets the Holllywood Land area. No idea what then happens in Paradise Pier. Maybe coastal California like Big Sur or Monterrey...which is roughly where the Marine Life Institute from Finding Dory is located.
All of those are great ideas, maybe Goofy's Sky School could be turned into the Marine Life institute with a Nemo Ride, which would free space at Tomorrowland for a better attraction that the Submarines (Maybe Frozen there?, better there than at DCA)?

DisneyFan18

I decided to do slight Re-Cap of what has been discussed until now:
DCA
1940's Hollywood
- Tower of Terror
- Mary Poppins/Aladdin Show
- Roger Rabbit
Colonial Mexico
- Coco
- Conquistador Boat Ride
Marvel: Superhero Expo
- Iron Man Experience
- Ant Man
Cars Land
- Radiator Springs Racers
- Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters
- Mater's Junkyard Jamboree
San Fransokyo
- Baymax B-Ticket
- BH6 E-Ticket
San Francisco
- The Muppets
- Inside Out
Paradise Pier
- California Screamin'
- Mickey's Fun Wheel
- Toy Story Midway Mania
Pacific Bay/Wharf
- Nemo
- Turtle Talk with Crush
- The Little Mermaid (Not discussed yet)
Grizzly Peak
- Grizzly River Run
- Soarin' Over California

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Step away for a few hours and you miss a lot!

I figured it couldn't hurt to have a visual of some of the areas being discussed for redos/expansions. It could also help us organize what directions we want to take first.

1 - Hollywood Land
2 - Bugs Land
3 - Current Expansion Pad
4 - Pacific Wharf and Ariel -- possibly a retheme to better transition from other lands? (Whatever they end up being)
5 - Goofy Sky School - idk that feels awkward next to the beautifully crafted Grand Californian
6 - I believe @D Hindley mentioned the parking lot near Paradise Pier Hotel where you can have an overpass similar to DTD
7 - On @Imagineerland 's expansion plan it looks like he fit an attraction in this space, looks large enough to me for something down the road.
1321.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
DCA
1940's Hollywood
- Tower of Terror
- Roger Rabbit
Colonial Mexico
- Coco
- Conquistador Boat Ride
- Iron Man Experience
- Ant Man
Cars Land
San Fransokyo
- Baymax B-Ticket
- BH6 E-Ticket
San Francisco
- The Muppets
- Inside Out
Paradise Pier
- California Screamin'
- Mickey's Fun Wheel
- Toy Story Midway Mania
Pacific Bay/Wharf
- Nemo
- Turtle Talk with Crush
Grizzly Peak
- Grizzly River Run
Step away for a few hours and you miss a lot!

I figured it couldn't hurt to have a visual of some of the areas being discussed for redos/expansions. It could also help us organize what directions we want to take first.

1 - Hollywood Land
2 - Bugs Land
3 - Current Expansion Pad
4 - Pacific Wharf and Ariel -- possibly a retheme to better transition from other lands? (Whatever they end up being)
5 - Goofy Sky School - idk that feels awkward next to the beautifully crafted Grand Californian
6 - I believe @D Hindley mentioned the parking lot near Paradise Pier Hotel where you can have an overpass similar to DTD
7 - On @Imagineerland 's expansion plan it looks like he fit an attraction in this space, looks large enough to me for something down the road.
1321.jpg
Posted at the exact same time:hilarious:

AceAstro

DCA
1940's Hollywood
- Tower of Terror
- Roger Rabbit
Colonial Mexico
- Coco
- Conquistador Boat Ride
- Iron Man Experience
- Ant Man
Cars Land
San Fransokyo
- Baymax B-Ticket
- BH6 E-Ticket
San Francisco
- The Muppets
- Inside Out
Paradise Pier
- California Screamin'
- Mickey's Fun Wheel
- Toy Story Midway Mania
Pacific Bay/Wharf
- Nemo
- Turtle Talk with Crush
Grizzly Peak
- Grizzly River Run
One thing with this is we still need to remember that we are basing this off of 2014-ish. We can create the space for a Coco ride but I’m thinking we wouldn’t put a ride in based off of a movie that comes out three years later. Same with making the Marine Life Institute.

DisneyFan18

One thing with this is we still need to remember that we are basing this off of 2014-ish. We can create the space for a Coco ride but I’m thinking we wouldn’t put a ride in based off of a movie that comes out three years later. Same with making the Marine Life Institute.
Those two could be left as future expansions, Inside Out as well, as it was released in 2015?

DisneyFan18

For old Hollywood it would be in one of these 3 spots. The reason I think #1 would be the best is that we can then have a the same theme through the whole red car trolley of California in the 40s.

I’d love to hear what y’all think about it though!
I agree that #1 should be 1940’s, as #3 is considered for Colonial México, and #2 for Stark Expo.

I like Disneyfan18's layout. It's perfect and fits with the modern times while still staying with the California theme.
Thanks, I try my best!

—————-
So I was thinking that maybe each Land could be a phase that opens each year:
Phase 1 (2015): 1940’s Hollywood
Phase 2 (2016): San Francisco
Phase 3 (2017): Coast Land (Pacific Wharf?)
Phase 4 (2018): San Fransokyo
Phase 5 (2019): Stark Expo
Phase 6 (2020): Colonial México

@D Hindley, I really like the idea of a Conquistador Era ride, however I’m concerned about how family friendly it would be, what are your ideas for it? Because another option could be a Don Quijote dark ride for representing the Spanish Heritage, and making Coco the Boat Ride?

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
For old Hollywood it would be in one of these 3 spots. The reason I think #1 would be the best is that we can then have a the same theme through the whole red car trolley of California in the 40s.

I’d love to hear what y’all think about it though!
I think #1 is ideal for old Hollywood especially given ToT looming on the horizon. Monsters Inc could be converted into some sort of Great Disney movie ride or even a D Tracy Crime Stoppers attraction that was originally slated for MGM Studios.
dicktracyscrimestoppers2.jpg

latest

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom