The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

betty rose

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Hubby and I just had a discussion about son #1 driving in the future last night...on the one hand, I'm dreading it because he was my first and he's growing up way too fast, etc. etc.. On the other - he will be able to go for takeout! ;):eek::hilarious:
Our grand son is taking driver's ed. in March. He keeps telling us to stay off the road while he is learning. He has a vision problem like mine. I didn't know I only used one eye and things moved....I sideswiped a parked car. It was so awful, not much damage...but why didn't the eye Dr. tell me? I was 16 at the time. After that, I drove...but never enjoyed it.

donaldtoo

Spent some more fun time with the kiddos and SonIL this afternoon...! :)

Food truck fun...!

image.jpeg

Biscuits and gravy on steroids...!!! :hungry:

image.jpeg

Graffiti Park...yet another "Keep Austin Weird" thing... :rolleyes:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Funny thing is, one of the partners and myself did a feasibility study for the property at the top where the castle structure is, about 6 months ago. The graffiti is painted on concrete retaining walls that were to be for an apartment complex that tanked back in the mid 80's during that economic downturn, and was abandoned. Not sure what the status is now, but, last time I heard, the park was supposed to me "moved". :cyclops:
That is some prime real estate up there at the top with incredible views of downtown. This is the view from the bottom. Sorry, but, I didn't go to the top... :oops: ;)

image.jpeg

Oh, and a shot of Whole Foods original HQ...! :)

image.jpeg

Pixieish

Spent some more fun time with the kiddos and SonIL this afternoon...! :)

Food truck fun...!

View attachment 243554

Biscuits and gravy on steroids...!!! :hungry:

View attachment 243555

Graffiti Park...yet another "Keep Austin Weird" thing... :rolleyes:

View attachment 243556
View attachment 243557
View attachment 243558

Funny thing is, one of the partners and myself did a feasibility study for the property at the top where the castle structure is, about 6 months ago. The graffiti is painted on concrete retaining walls that were to be for an apartment complex that tanked back in the mid 80's during that economic downturn, and was abandoned. Not sure what the status is now, but, last time I heard, the park was supposed to me "moved". :cyclops:
That is some prime real estate up there at the top with incredible views of downtown. This is the view from the bottom. Sorry, but, I didn't go to the top... :oops: ;)

View attachment 243559

Oh, and a shot of Whole Foods original HQ...! :)

View attachment 243560

Go #teamquirky!!!

That castle structure looks pretty cool...and I think the thing I miss most about my last job was the food truck - good stuff!

Pixieish

Yep, I've been doin' stuff like this for decades and it still befuddles me with all the money...!!! :confused:
I've posted this before, but, this is the couple where one of them is a huge trust fund baby... :cautious: :cyclops: ;)
There are super-expensive housing developments popping up all over our town (which used to be mostly middle-class families). From what I've seen, the people moving into them are young (like early 30s) parents...I'd love to know what the heck all these people do for a living!

donaldtoo

I just can't imagine what I'd do with all that space....and I'd have to CLEAN it...I think I'd prefer a regular sized house, as nice as the mansion looks. I know...if you can afford a house that big, you probably aren't cleaning it yourself, but I would also have a hard time letting a stranger into my home to clean it. I'd like a slightly larger house than we have now...one with a bit more storage, but a mansion is just too much for me. I remember telling my mom when I was little that I was going to be rich and own a mansion and she'd have a wing for herself. Now it seems so silly...Why did I ever want a mansion?

Yep, even if we were super rich, we wouldn't want anything like that either. It's just not needed for our lifestyle. But, for those that have the money and the need/want, I have no problem with it...they keep me employed and help pay my bills...! ;)

donaldtoo

It's probably a stupid question, but you've posted a few drawings of really large homes you've worked on...do you do exclusively large homes? Like...is that a specialty? Or do you ever do standard family homes like just a 4 bedroom house in the suburbs type house?

Actually, many of the homes we design are in the suburbs, but, truly and seriously, I can't even remember the last time I designed anything that was a less than 1.5-ish million dollar home. And yes, even though we live in the suburbs, we don't live in anything remotely close to those prices... :cyclops: ;)

donaldtoo

My guess is that where @FutureCEO is coming from on all this, is that he's used to seeing the old mansions in Newport, RI, that had tons of outward details, etc. I've also seen all the mansions down there, and they are big ol' beauties--but again, those came about in the Gilded Age.

As you noted above, newer designs can also be attractive, once all the finishing touches, colors, etc. are added in, and the landscaping rounds out the complete picture.

For me, I like both the older designs (Newport) and the newer designs. What's more important is the location of where specifically designed houses are put - do they fit in with the local area, for example?

Often, "placement" is what can make or break a style.

Thanks Minnie, but, I'm pretty sure we all know he was being a jerk on purpose, and he can stick it.

donaldtoo

Possibly, yes. I don't know how the cost of heating fuel compares to electrical costs for a/c. I know our bill goes up for a few months of a/c (at night--we're out during the day). But as far as heating goes, I like it on the colder side, so I can't really compare prices, because the usage of electricity for a/c, or gas for heating, isn't evenly distributed throughout the year.

We have A/C and heat. We spend A LOT more on A/C than we do on heat. ;) :)

donaldtoo

Slow down, Mr. Ferret!!
2010fcposter_finalsmallest.jpg

:hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

MySmallWorldof4

Actually, many of the homes we design are in the suburbs, but, truly and seriously, I can't even remember the last time I designed anything that was a less than 1.5-ish million dollar home. And yes, even though we live in the suburbs, we don't live in anything remotely close to those prices... :cyclops: ;)
Well I don’t begrudge those who have the ability for ostentationess. I can’t say that if I had the money I wouldn’t want a multi-million dollar home. So good for them and like you said, they keep you employed. :)

Goofyernmost

Possibly, yes. I don't know how the cost of heating fuel compares to electrical costs for a/c. I know our bill goes up for a few months of a/c (at night--we're out during the day). But as far as heating goes, I like it on the colder side, so I can't really compare prices, because the usage of electricity for a/c, or gas for heating, isn't evenly distributed throughout the year.
I live in an area that has a fairly mild winter, comparatively, I switch over from AC to Heat by flipping a switch on the thermostat because my unit is AC and heat pump. I have a monthly record of cost between heat and AC and they are both almost exactly the same. When I lived in Vermont my heating bill (fuel) was over $2k a year, now my entire electricity bill for a year is, on average, $960.00 per year and that includes everything, lights, heat, AC, electric appliances, hot water and so on. So my average monthly bill is $80.00 and that is actual. It runs within only a few dollars difference every single month.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom