The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

Goofyernmost

To be fair we have separate tests for a lot of different vehicles. Must be why us Europeans are such good drivers :p
We don't have all that many, but, some you have to wonder about. For me to drive a bus or get a CDL (commercial drivers license) we have some pretty intensive written testing. And equally stringent driving test on the type of vehicle you are getting a license to operate. Things like passenger and air brake, hazardous material handling and so on. Yet, someone that has never driven anything bigger then a VW Beetle can go out and purchase the biggest RV they can find and just hit the road. Most of us keep praying that the road is all that they hit.

Songbird76

They sound just ridiculous with regulations.

So, you cannot just practice in the family car with a licensed driver? How else are you to gain confidence and be any good unless you practice more than just with an instructor once or twice a week? They really don’t want people driving. Sad.
Well, they expect you to take a LOT of lessons. One of DH's cousins married an American (Well, actually 3 of his cousins married Americans) and she had never driven manual, so she looked into getting her license here and they told her it would take about 40 hours, just to teach her to drive stick. She knew how to drive, and all they had to do was teach her how to shift and such....40 hours. I think someone was out to make some big money. But that's why it's so expensive. Lessons, plus the price just to take the tests, etc. Now you understand why I still don't have my license over here.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
OK, then reverse the question and say... wouldn't it cost a fortune to air condition a place that size?

Possibly, yes. I don't know how the cost of heating fuel compares to electrical costs for a/c. I know our bill goes up for a few months of a/c (at night--we're out during the day). But as far as heating goes, I like it on the colder side, so I can't really compare prices, because the usage of electricity for a/c, or gas for heating, isn't evenly distributed throughout the year.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
To be fair we have separate tests for a lot of different vehicles. Must be why us Europeans are such good drivers :p

Slow down, Mr. Ferret!!
2010fcposter_finalsmallest.jpg

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Okay. So dh brought up the tree and quite a few branches had no lights working. Noticed a lot of them were black. I was willing to let it go but dh wanted a new tree. So we headed Lowes and found this one.
View attachment 243549
I don’t mind fake snow.
Also saw this cool Disney display.
View attachment 243550 View attachment 243551 View attachment 243552

I think they call that flocking when there's the (fake) white snow on the tree, right? It looks pretty.

The Disney display was cute. The Mickey wreath is fun. I don't like the lights that project on the houses though--not my taste.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I don't think so...licenses are all separate. Like...if you get a license for an automatic, you can't drive a manual. Though if you get a license for manual, you CAN drive automatic as well. But just like you have to get a separate license for a motorcycle, or to pull a trailer, you have to get a separate one for scooters here, too.

Learner plates? What is that? Here, you have an accredited instructor who teaches you in a special car that has pedals on both sides so the instructor can intervene if necessary, and the learner vehicles are marked. You can't drive a regular car until you have your license.
Sending {{HUGS}} just ignore all the words I used before sending them:oops:

Figgy1

Premium Member

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@MOXOMUMD , what's the plan for the Christmas cookies? Will DD bake some batches of one kind of cookie, and you'll make batches of another kind? Or, do you both work together as a team on the same cookie recipe, cooking a full batch, before moving on to the next recipe? Also, I wasn't sure if she was old enough to handle baking by herself. I do know, however, that she made some nice dinners for you when you were laid up this year. :hungry:

I try not to bake cookies around the holidays, because I end up eating most (sometimes, all . . . :cautious: ) of them. :p

Figgy1

Premium Member
Myself, my dh and my older ds had a rather fun and cheaper than expected day out day out. Joann's computers had a glitch and I got my dh's discount on everything even the pattern and door busters. That's not supposed to happen. I said something but they couldn't fix it. We stopped for coffee and my ds got an herbal tea. They didn't charge for my dh's which was expected but we didn't get charged for mine either. BTW I got a jump on some items to make projects for next year some of which will be gifts.:joyfull: Now Mount laundry includes a giant stack of fabric:happy:

Pixieish

I think they call that flocking when there's the (fake) white snow on the tree, right? It looks pretty.

The Disney display was cute. The Mickey wreath is fun. I don't like the lights that project on the houses though--not my taste.
Yep - flocking. :)

Those projected lights look very cheesy compared to regular lights - even the nets of lights for shrubs are better than those. Maybe if they were brighter, but a brighter LED means it's life-span isn't as long.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom