News 'Disney After Hours' ticketed event

freesvoice

It's hard to lighten up when a vacation identical to the one you took 2 years ago has increased by ridiculous amounts of money.
This is some of his history I don't have as someone who has only been once (may 2017) and the prices (depending on what you do, where you stay) didn't shock me much. Maybe because I travel a lot, I don't know. Just my personal experience. And no matter how you shake it, paying more to avoid crowds is important to certain people. Not to mention all the days in February have MK closing at 8. They aren't closing early early just on event nights and they are still offering EMH.

If you've been going for decades and have seen the value decline and costs rise clearly it's disheartening; I've seen that opinion a lot. I'll be back in about 4 months and again this time next year so I am sure I will be one of the people griping about losing what was once included as time goes on.

AEfx

To review, larandtra is lecturing folks about how they shouldn't lecture folks. Also, larandtra feels that everyone should care about what he/she is saying even though "noone [sic] really cares...". Larandtra also mentioned in his/her angry post that others should "lighten up a bit." Finally, apparently folks have come to a Disney World message board even though, "your opinion actually means very little to them."

Got it.

Yes, what we have here is a couple of people who are on a "News and Rumors" board who are for some reason taking things personally we are saying about this event, and not even reading what they are replying to before translating it as some personal attack on them. If they want to pay for it and think it's a value, great - why defend it to us?

As I said from the start, there are people in some circumstances might find this advantageous. I wouldn't even be replying to them if they weren't saying I said stuff I didn't say or pushing misinformation about the event time or ludicrous stuff that defies the law of physics about what can be accomplished in that time frame.

I am starting to think it's a case of "he doth protest too much" - they just don't like the facts and figures we talk about, and I think they are trying to justify the enormous cost of this paltry event to themselves, not to us. If they are just looking to have smoke blown up their tush, they clicked on the wrong bookmark when they came to this section of this forum.

freesvoice

Aaaaaanyway back to people who have actually attended or who are actually going...

My sister and I haven't been to WDW together and since we grew up going to DL every summer we are looking forward to getting nuts at MK. She lives in SoCal and goes to DL pretty regularly so hoping she isn't jaded and convinced DL is better ;) Hoping this nighttime event makes it feel special. Looking forward to hearing reviews from the January 2018 events.

Last edited:

Dad 2 M & M

I read other boards and blogs from people that have actually been to the event in 2017 and the reviews are all positive. Where as you have not yet continue to rip on it as if you know everything.

I myself am wondering why I've seen others claiming it went as late as 2:00 am or it was an 11:00 pm stop but they were there to midnight but again, I don't care because it has no weight on my going. Never once did I state it that as fact I even said I would not be counting on that or trying to game anything. I have a four year old with me that may not even make it until 11:00 pm and that's okay. No interest in spreading false information so please stop. I know the least amount about WDW of probably anyone else on this board. I called and spoke to a CM, did a lot of research and decided to purchase tickets because this is ideal for my trip/group. I also never said I expect the park to just **poof** empty out right at 8:00 pm. We plan to get there at 7, shop while we can, see the fireworks then ride everything we can until close. The point is to have fun not ride every ride.

You're coming across as bitter and there's really no reason. It's Disney, lighten up!
The 1st version of the After Hours was in April and May of last year (2016). We went April 21st and had a blast....we were given freebee tics at the resort.......and, for sure, not maybe, the event was 11:00 P.M. until 2:00 A.M.

Back then the price was $149, hardly anyone paid, free tics we distributed to DVC members, and guests wandering around the resorts.

It was labeled a bust, and reintroduced for early 2017 at $119 for all guests, and $89 for DVC and Passholders. Had we not been given the freebee and experienced the Party, we may not have ever attended. Now we mark our calender's and would not miss it!

Dad 2 M & M

Supply and demand drive prices not the value of the product.
It's Demand side here, not Supply and neither curves are moving. The quantity demanded is moving along the existing Demand curve. The price is driving the quantity demanded. The "value" here is why it is a Demand curve as the quantity demanded is inversely related to price (price goes up, quantity demanded goes down, and vice versa). If the "value" (price elasticity of demand) didn't come into play it would be a Demand Line, not curve. At some point there is a diminishing return when price changes...........thus the "curve"

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Yes, what we have here is a couple of people who are on a "News and Rumors" board who are for some reason taking things personally we are saying about this event, and not even reading what they are replying to before translating it as some personal attack on them. If they want to pay for it and think it's a value, great - why defend it to us?

As I said from the start, there are people in some circumstances might find this advantageous. I wouldn't even be replying to them if they weren't saying I said stuff I didn't say or pushing misinformation about the event time or ludicrous stuff that defies the law of physics about what can be accomplished in that time frame.

I am starting to think it's a case of "he doth protest too much" - they just don't like the facts and figures we talk about, and I think they are trying to justify the enormous cost of this paltry event to themselves, not to us. If they are just looking to have smoke blown up their tush, they clicked on the wrong bookmark when they came to this section of this forum.

Depends on your budgetary perspective bucks, your "enormous" might just be inconsequential to others.

freesvoice

The 1st version of the After Hours was in April and May of last year (2016). We went April 21st and had a blast....we were given freebee tics at the resort.......and, for sure, not maybe, the event was 11:00 P.M. until 2:00 A.M.

Back then the price was $149, hardly anyone paid, free tics we distributed to DVC members, and guests wandering around the resorts.

It was labeled a bust, and reintroduced for early 2017 at $119 for all guests, and $89 for DVC and Passholders. Had we not been given the freebee and experienced the Party, we may not have ever attended. Now we mark our calender's and would not miss it!
Thanks for weighing in and clearing this up. I was wondering why different times were out there and now I know. The day I'm going says 7-11 pm so that's all I can bank on.

Great to hear it was worth your time! Almost wonder why they are doing it again if it was such a bust but thankful they are.

freesvoice

And thus, we're back to why the parks feel different than they used to - Disney no longer cares if they're visibly separating the "haves" and "have nots", nor the feelings that can evoke in children.
Did that used to be part of the WDW business model? I know people wealthier than me who choose to stay at All Stars or sometimes splurge on Coronado, we prefer the deluxes so we have to plan a little more carefully. It's not Disney's job to make it equal. We all do Disney depending on our budget, preferences, etc. Someone staying in a Poly bungalow for a week with 5 day park hoppers and a dining plan doesn't make my less expensive experience any less valuable or special to me.

Last edited:

Pixieish

Did that used to be part of the WDW business model? I know people wealthier than me who choose to stay at All Stars or sometimes splurge on Coronado, we prefer the deluxes so we have to plan a little more carefully. It's not Disney's job to make it equal. We all do Disney depending on our budget, preferences, etc. Someone staying in a Poly bungalow for a week with 5 day park hoppers and a dining plan doesn't make my less expensive experience any less valuable or special to me.

It was part of the original business model to keep that sort of thing hidden, to make everyone feel special.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thanks for weighing in and clearing this up. I was wondering why different times were out there and now I know. The day I'm going says 7-11 pm so that's all I can bank on.

Great to hear it was worth your time! Almost wonder why they are doing it again if it was such a bust but thankful they are.

There is no mystery why they want to bring this back its a concept called 'sell the park twice'

Disney would dearly love to have day and evening guest both paying a full admission price.

larandtra

f they want to pay for it and think it's a value, great - why defend it to us?

If they want to pay it why should it matter to you? You are the one who seems all up in arms over it to the point you talk down to people who actually have been and will go again telling them what they did or didnt do is not possible. Get over it. Your tripe is boring and means nothing to those people. They arent justifying anything to themselves, merely responding to your ignorance about other peoples situations and whats important to them. As I said, Lighten up Francis.

Mander

In the Parks
No
My fiance and I are planning to purchase tickets for the January 26th event.

If it were a normal trip we probably wouldn't but it's our honeymoon and the last night of our honeymoon at that. What better way to end it than extra time in Magic Kingdom with lower crowds? It's definitely a splurge and maybe it won't be worth it but we are going to give it a try!

freesvoice

There is no mystery why they want to bring this back its a concept called 'sell the park twice'

Disney would dearly love to have day and evening guest both paying a full admission price.
Right I can see them wanting to make this work but let's say they sell 2000 tickets @ $119 for this event, does that $238k even cover operating costs? And who would buy magic Kingdom twice in one day? Stamina alone would prohibit that, no?

Most nights the park sits empty. If you can sell a nighttime ticket and let people choose which timeframe they want to attend it would probably take down the daytime attendance a bit and maybe wouldn't be the worst idea. You either pay to go during the day, or pay to go at night at almost the same cost. Hard to imagine most people or even 1/4 of people doing both, too much $ and beyond exhausting. It's not pretentious in my eyes to choose to go at night over the day and it's not like having the park ticket available at night is going to double the attendance. May even offset some of the daytime crowds.

Not arguing they should do this or replace EMH but I guess I don't understand what's so bad about it.

Pixieish

Right I can see them wanting to make this work but let's say they sell 2000 tickets @ $119 for this event, does that $238k even cover operating costs? And who would buy magic Kingdom twice in one day? Stamina alone would prohibit that, no?

Most nights the park sits empty. If you can sell a nighttime ticket and let people choose which timeframe they want to attend it would probably take down the daytime attendance a bit and maybe wouldn't be the worst idea. You either pay to go during the day, or pay to go at night at almost the same cost. Hard to imagine most people or even 1/4 of people doing both, too much $ and beyond exhausting. It's not pretentious in my eyes to choose to go at night over the day and it's not like having the park ticket available at night is going to double the attendance. May even offset some of the daytime crowds.

Not arguing they should do this or replace EMH but I guess I don't understand what's so bad about it.

There are some people who don't rush around like lunatics, and enjoy spending as many hours in the parks as they can...even my young boys would rather just stroll around the parks late at night than head back to the room early. We would never pay to stay later, though...we've already paid for admission once. THIS is where I get annoyed...at least the early morning hours/breakfast doesn't cut into regular/resort guests visiting hours. It really seems like Disney is using any excuse they can to make evenings a hard-ticket event.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Remember the 2000 guests is a TEST the goal is 10-20,000 or more guests.

Right now this event at its current scale no way it makes money.

freesvoice

There are some people who don't rush around like lunatics, and enjoy spending as many hours in the parks as they can...even my young boys would rather just stroll around the parks late at night than head back to the room early. We would never pay to stay later, though...we've already paid for admission once. THIS is where I get annoyed...at least the early morning hours/breakfast doesn't cut into regular/resort guests visiting hours. It really seems like Disney is using any excuse they can to make evenings a hard-ticket event.
Well of course I understand that the park closing early on a day you bought a ticket being a bummer but again, MK is already closing at 8 pm everyday around the event so it's not closing early for it. One of the days of my stay it actually closes at 6:00 pm which is a bummer but we just built our plan around it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well of course I understand that the park closing early on a day you bought a ticket being a bummer but again, MK is already closing at 8 pm everyday around the event so it's not closing early for it. One of the days of my stay it actually closes at 6:00 pm which is a bummer but we just built our plan around it.

Not long ago MK was open till 11PM most of the year, This summer it closed at 9 most days, How long before MK closes at 5 sharp so the - second day can begin.

Dad 2 M & M

Disney REALLY went the extra mile during our most recent recession.......they had to to lure anyone in......the parks stay busy now, and Disney could raise prices even higher without a drop in attendance.....if it was a "money grab" as most refer....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom