EPCOT Center 35th Anniversary Events?

lilclerk

It’s funny. We bought one of the shirts 3 weeks ago on the app. I really don’t understand why disney doesn’t have a one per guest limit on these types of things to limit eBay scalpers
Really glad I nabbed one of the shirts on the app a few days ago too. I was a little worried the order would be cancelled, but it just shipped.

EricsBiscuit

They have some cool chocolate sculptures in WoL.

Attachments

• IMG_4743.JPG
    IMG_4743.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 100

JohnD

Check out the sold prices. Damn I knew I shoulda bought the ugly hats

I didn't attend. (I was there a week earlier). I didn't buy a shirt because, well, I wasn't there. Not only that, I'm just not starting to pay off my Disney Visa from my recent trip. Also, my shirt collection is increasing anyway. The way I see it: I retire in 2032. That's Epcot's 50th anniversary. I'll purchase something then.

WDW1974

This is really sad. Sorta like an anniversary celebration of a funeral for a friend that started a decade ago and was repeated five years ago. But, hey, so long as people get that crappy merch dedicated to a park that hasn't really existed since the 1990s.

I don't know what's worse really. The tone deafness of Disney management and social media (hey, let's celebrate #EPCOT35 by reminding you that Peter Quill, someone 99% of you had no idea existed in comic books, visited EPCOT in the 1980s) and the fans who will scoop up as much of this crap as they can (yet, somehow, you just know the outlet stores and Property Control will wind up with so much).

And then the bloggers 'covering' a non-event event. And crowing about who saw who and who bought and ate what.

Nah, nothing has been Walmarted here.

I've honored EPCOT. I went to the last two of these events, but couldn't in any way justify showing up today.

The park is dead and this picking at the corpse is as morbid as someone at the mortuary playing with your Aunt Lucille's body. It's really grotesque.

EPCOT Center not only made me a Disney fan for life (or thus far), but molded me both in worldview as to what was possible and inspired me to travel to all those World Showcase nations and beyond.

The 21st century may have begun October 1, 1982, but rest assured that EPCOT Center never lived to see the actual 21st century (considering all that has happened, maybe that's for the best). The thematic mess of a park that Epcot is will continue to be so and get even worse. Do you really think The Weatherman, Chappie and Co. care and are going to unify it into a cohesive place, even one much less than the one that rose out of the swamps and scrub and existed for about 15 years?

Of course not.

What you'll have is a half-assed attempt to turn this park into MK 2.0. Because every Disney park today has to be a Disney IP park. You either accept it or you don't visit.

All the BS talk that likely was recited today by folks like Tony Baxter is just that. No one cares about EPCOT Center and the vision it showed or about the people who created it and how epic it truly was.

This is today's Disney and that really means Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar and Mickey and the Princesses (oh, we know there are other characters ... but we'll save those for private foamhead upcharge events -- see weekend announcement at DLP).

It most certainly isn't about innovating and doing the impossible.

And that's why this whole "let's gather here around the fountain, after we have sent our buyers to the merchandise lines, and 'celebrate' the anniversary of something that was great and was killed with intent' is beyond sickening to some of us.

Not enough pixie dust in the state of Florida will ever get me to one of these again. Sad.

NearTheEars

This is really sad. Sorta like an anniversary celebration of a funeral for a friend that started a decade ago and was repeated five years ago. But, hey, so long as people get that crappy merch dedicated to a park that hasn't really existed since the 1990s.

I don't know what's worse really. The tone deafness of Disney management and social media (hey, let's celebrate #EPCOT35 by reminding you that Peter Quill, someone 99% of you had no idea existed in comic books, visited EPCOT in the 1980s) and the fans who will scoop up as much of this crap as they can (yet, somehow, you just know the outlet stores and Property Control will wind up with so much).

And then the bloggers 'covering' a non-event event. And crowing about who saw who and who bought and ate what.

Nah, nothing has been Walmarted here.

I've honored EPCOT. I went to the last two of these events, but couldn't in any way justify showing up today.

The park is dead and this picking at the corpse is as morbid as someone at the mortuary playing with your Aunt Lucille's body. It's really grotesque.

EPCOT Center not only made me a Disney fan for life (or thus far), but molded me both in worldview as to what was possible and inspired me to travel to all those World Showcase nations and beyond.

The 21st century may have begun October 1, 1982, but rest assured that EPCOT Center never lived to see the actual 21st century (considering all that has happened, maybe that's for the best). The thematic mess of a park that Epcot is will continue to be so and get even worse. Do you really think The Weatherman, Chappie and Co. care and are going to unify it into a cohesive place, even one much less than the one that rose out of the swamps and scrub and existed for about 15 years?

Of course not.

What you'll have is a half-assed attempt to turn this park into MK 2.0. Because every Disney park today has to be a Disney IP park. You either accept it or you don't visit.

All the BS talk that likely was recited today by folks like Tony Baxter is just that. No one cares about EPCOT Center and the vision it showed or about the people who created it and how epic it truly was.

This is today's Disney and that really means Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar and Mickey and the Princesses (oh, we know there are other characters ... but we'll save those for private foamhead upcharge events -- see weekend announcement at DLP).

It most certainly isn't about innovating and doing the impossible.

And that's why this whole "let's gather here around the fountain, after we have sent our buyers to the merchandise lines, and 'celebrate' the anniversary of something that was great and was killed with intent' is beyond sickening to some of us.

Not enough pixie dust in the state of Florida will ever get me to one of these again. Sad.

It was a little uncomfortable listening to George repeat what was said at D23, that they were honoring the fundamentals of Epcot, then in the next breath say that’s a guardians was coming to Energy. Unfortunately several people cheered. Heck I saw some guy wearing a Mission Breakout hat. I was hoping people were going to boo.

Maybe the people really are getting what they want.

Kamikaze

Sadly, the people don’t really know what they want and Disney was one of the few companies that could give you something you never thought you’d want.

It was a little uncomfortable listening to George repeat what was said at D23, that they were honoring the fundamentals of Epcot, then in the next breath say that’s a guardians was coming to Energy. Unfortunately several people cheered. Heck I saw some guy wearing a Mission Breakout hat. I was hoping people were going to boo.

Marvel box office numbers seem to imply that 'the people' do want GotG and Marvel.

That said, can we save the 'GotG breaks Epcot' schtick for the thread about that attraction? Because we still know nothing official about it nor how much of anything it breaks.

WDW1974

I am sure that group absolutely is. They are either newbie fans (of course, that can go back to last century now!) or BRAND addicts. They have been programmed to want whatever Disney tells them to want. Bob Iger spent $4 billion of other people's money on Marvel. Bob Chapek made a name for himself selling obscene amounts of Marvel crap at ridiculous prices. What do they want? They want you to love Star Lord, Gamora and Rocket and that is all you need to replace a fundamental FW pavilion (I am sure you know enough about your history to know how FW was developed ... if not, buy a $13 EPCOT35 coffee mug with the original pavilion symbols and read about what they mean) with a thought-provoking infotaining 35-minute ride with a three-minute (if we're very lucky) rolley coaster.

And from Georgie K to Tony B to Marty S (if he hadn't of just passed away), these people will come out and spin to the fans what Burbank wants spun. I know less famous people who brought EPCOT Center to reality and worked with greats no longer with us. Not a one will support the current direction of Disney, Epcot or WDI.

WDW1974

Marvel box office numbers seem to imply that 'the people' do want GotG and Marvel.

That said, can we save the 'GotG breaks Epcot' schtick for the thread about that attraction? Because we still know nothing official about it nor how much of anything it breaks.

No, we can't. Because fundamentally it shows the cancer within Disney. That starts with the tumor at the top, Robert A. Iger. I also take online offense at your use of the term schtick. People who care about EPCOT Center and KNOW GotG have no place there really don't care that whether or not the typical fanboi wants a Guardians coaster at epcot.

Kamikaze

No, we can't. Because fundamentally it shows the cancer within Disney. That starts with the tumor at the top, Robert A. Iger. I also take online offense at your use of the term schtick. People who care about EPCOT Center and KNOW GotG have no place there really don't care that whether or not the typical fanboi wants a Guardians coaster at epcot.

So why don't you tell us what the Guardians attraction is about and themed to, then? Then we can properly discuss how it has 'no place' in Epcot. Otherwise, we can't until we have that information.

I know - not wanting to jump to conclusions would be difficult for you, since thats pretty much your whole schtick (got ya!), but I suppose I can dream.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom