Echo Lake Refurbishment

RSoxNo1

I hope they stagger closures and replacements for each once SWL opens, though. Could easily be 50th projects.
That just adds to the confusing decision about the Great Movie Ride. Building Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway elsewhere would have allowed GMR to remain open. Then it could have received a major refurbishment upon the opening of Toy Story Land. That would have brought a refreshed GMR, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge all on line within 6 months of one another.

What it potentially tells me is that there is something very much in the works for the obvious alternative landing spots for MaMRR (mainly Animation Courtyard). Perhaps there is significant truth to the Monster's Inc rumor.

jt04

The entire park is currently under construction BECAUSE they didn't invest in the WDW parks for nearly a decade...

The last thing WDW needed was more rushed projects due to overreacting to the competition.

Much better that they took the time to properly develop their plan.

jt04

That just adds to the confusing decision about the Great Movie Ride. Building Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway elsewhere would have allowed GMR to remain open. Then it could have received a major refurbishment upon the opening of Toy Story Land. That would have brought a refreshed GMR, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway and Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge all on line within 6 months of one another.

What it potentially tells me is that there is something very much in the works for the obvious alternative landing spots for MaMRR (mainly Animation Courtyard). Perhaps there is significant truth to the Monster's Inc rumor.

Everybody is rushing to protect their IPs as the entertainment industry goes through upheaval. TGMR had no future due to this. Same reason Terminator is out at Uni.

More and more Universal and Disney will only promote their own IPs. Writings on the wall.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The last thing WDW needed was more rushed projects due to overreacting to the competition.

Much better that they took the time to properly develop their plan.

Nobody is talking about rushing or overacting. What the competition was doing, and the need to update the park should not have come as surprises to management. Plans should have been in the works earlier so you are not left with a park that desperately needs a lot of updates.

jt04

Nobody is talking about rushing or overacting. What the competition was doing, and the need to update the park should not have come as surprises to management. Plans should have been in the works earlier so you are not left with a park that desperately needs a lot of updates.

I doubt they were not aware that many aspects of the park had a limited shelf life. That they took their time to properly develop acquired IPs and properly invested in them was bound to take a substantial amount of time.

I imagine there will be books written about this era to bring some enlightenment.

Jones14

I doubt they were not aware that many aspects of the park had a limited shelf life. That they took their time to properly develop acquired IPs and properly invested in them was bound to take a substantial amount of time.

I imagine there will be books written about this era to bring some enlightenment.
It shouldn’t take ten years to add a new ride to a theme park. It shouldn’t take twenty to replace a few stage shows. It shouldn’t take thirty to get the park to just under double digits of rides.

I also don’t know what ‘rushed projects’ you refer to. Avatar? Because that opened this year, with the first rides to open in Animal Kingdom in 11 years. Rivers of Light? Consistently delayed throughout development. Mine Train? Added last minute and certainly not done in a rush. Oh, maybe Not Maelstrom Ever After, but that’s A) not entirely new and B) still the first new ride in Epcot after a decade of nothing.

Disney was not rushing anything, considering they didn’t open a single ride in four theme parks from the summer of 2008 to the very end of 2012. And the two rides that bookend that era were clones from Disneyland.

jt04

It shouldn’t take ten years to add a new ride to a theme park. It shouldn’t take twenty to replace a few stage shows. It shouldn’t take thirty to get the park to just under double digits of rides.

I also don’t know what ‘rushed projects’ you refer to. Avatar? Because that opened this year, with the first rides to open in Animal Kingdom in 11 years. Rivers of Light? Consistently delayed throughout development. Mine Train? Added last minute and certainly not done in a rush. Oh, maybe Not Maelstrom Ever After, but that’s A) not entirely new and B) still the first new ride in Epcot after a decade of nothing.

Disney was not rushing anything, considering they didn’t open a single ride in four theme parks from the summer of 2008 to the very end of 2012. And the two rides that bookend that era were clones from Disneyland.

I think I said they did not rush through any projects in the Iger era.

Instead they have chosen quality over speed. We will see how that works out very soon.

Jones14

Instead they have chosen quality over speed. We will see how that works out very soon.
You actually didn’t, but okay. Let’s look at the Iger era.

You referred to ‘more rushed projects’ being the last thing WDW needed, implying that there were a multitude of rushed projects going on during the Iger era. You then turned around and said that they didn’t rush any projects during the Iger era. So which is it? If you’re going to troll, at least be consistent.

jt04

You actually didn’t, but okay. Let’s look at the Iger era.

You referred to ‘more rushed projects’ being the last thing WDW needed, implying that there were a multitude of rushed projects going on during the Iger era. You then turned around and said that they didn’t rush any projects during the Iger era. So which is it? If you’re going to troll, at least be consistent.

Ahhh, now I see what you mean. The rushed projects were DAK in response to IoA and BG and going further back Disney MGM in response to Uni opening In central Florida. Iger does not react as previous management did. I divide WDW into two eras. The Iger era and those before about 2006.

I think the decisions being made under new management are much better than previous ones. I think it would not be good to go back to those previous strategies.

IMO of course.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

They should be more then capable of delivering both. It's also not just a case of design and development time, although both of these could go faster if they really wanted to, but also a matter of when they make the decision that something new is needed. New things should come at a steady pace, not huge clumps of new things all at once to play catch up.

Last edited:

jt04

They should be more then capable of delivering both. It's also not just a case of design and development time, although both of these could go faster if they really wanted to, but also a matter of when they make the decision that something new is needed. New things should come at a steady pace, not huge clumps of new things all at once to play catch up.

Monday morning quarterbacking is easy. Remember they have to balance many, sometimes competing, interests. Including investors.

It is all explained in roller coaster tycoon. Heh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom