Hurricane Irma

JohnD

Original Poster
And then this just happened

IMG_4115.jpg

Wow. That's a keeper right there. You went to Disney World and had to hunker down in your resort because of the hurricane and all you got was a lousy photo with the Fab 5, er 4.. ;)

Last edited:

bclane

Latest updates are showing Tornado watches being extended further north into central Florida. Since we are on the front right side of forward motion, there is a risk of tornadoes thru early tomorrow.

Also, curfews will be in effect in many central Florida counties from 7PM tonight.

Also, for those thinking we’re off the hook here, keep in mind that hurricane Charlie was on a very similar up the west coast track in 2004. And then at 11AM it suddenly changed course and came directly over the top of Orlando 9 hours later. These storm can, and do change direction so you never take down your guard until after it’s over.
So true. We won't know the actual path until it's done and gone. We actually boarded up this time around (almost nobody else did in my neighborhood). I just wish I could talk my mom and step dad into driving over here to Orlando. They're only a couple miles from the ocean in Weeki Wachee. They are refusing to budge and they didn't even board up their house! Why are people is so freaking stubborn sometimes!? :(

John park hopper

Wow, the weather channel saying close to 500,000 without power all ready and it hasn't even hit the mainland yet, May have been discussed earlier? Where and who supplies WDW with power? FPL saying half the State will be without power

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Wow, the weather channel saying close to 500,000 without power all ready and it hasn't even hit the mainland yet, May have been discussed earlier? Where and who supplies WDW with power? FPL saying half the State will be without power

From the RCID site:

"Electric
The District operates and maintains an electrical generation, transmission and distribution system which provides service throughout the District. The system includes a state-of-the-art cogeneration facility currently aggregating 55,000 kW of net capability. RCID purchases the remainder of its needs from other utilities. The transmission system includes nine 69 kV substations and distributes all power via a 12.47 kV underground distribution system. The peak demand of the electrical system is approximately 196 MW."

The Mom

Premium Member

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So true. We won't know the actual path until it's done and gone. We actually boarded up this time around (almost nobody else did in my neighborhood). I just wish I could talk my mom and step dad into driving over here to Orlando. They're only a couple miles from the ocean in Weeki Wachee. They are refusing to budge and they didn't even board up their house! Why are people is so freaking stubborn sometimes!? :(

Hope they stay safe.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

My thoughts exactly. If one of projected path being shown is correct, that eye will come waaay to close to us.

Just got this text from the City:

Talgov: Recent update from the National Weather Service indicates Tallahassee is in the direct path of Hurricane Irma. Tropical storm force winds should start affecting our area tonight after 9 PM with hurricane force winds arriving near 10 AM Monday morning. The highest wind speeds from Hurricane Irma should last until 2 PM when top sustained winds could exceed 95 MPH. Finalize preparations and stay informed.

Maybe we should have done what AquaDuck did...get out of town!

John park hopper

Disney generates some if its own, Duke Energy the rest, I believe
My question is if there is wide spread power outages in Orlando and Duke supplies some power to WDW does WDW have the capacity to power the resorts and theme parks on their own (sounds like maybe not). If not does that mean the parks may not reopen on Tuesday

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom