Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

Disneyhead'71

I'm pretty sure the guy you're replying to was mocking all the people against this ride...
miss-piggy-moi.jpg

Amidala

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-railway-coming-to-disneys-hollywood-studios/

The concept art and announcement confirmed that it's based on the shorts. YouTube "Mickey Mouse: Get a Horse!" which played before Frozen to see how contemporary and classic can meet. The new shorts have a different style all together.

I'm aware of the announcement. & I've seen Get a Horse, and think most people have! Like I said earlier, "based on" does not = "an exact duplicate, right down to the animation process." I think there are more ways than one for contemporary and classic to meet, and would argue that the tone and characterization of the new Mickey shorts are superior to Get a Horse (you can only flesh out your characters so much in a cinematic short, as opposed to an ongoing series of shorts) or at the very least...more daring. Get a Horse is obviously inspired by classic Mickey shorts, but feels tame in comparison to Disney Channel Mickey, who is allowed to make mistakes, get angry, and otherwise react in ways that the "wholesome" Mickey can't. He's a fun character to watch in an entirely different way, and this feels much more reminiscent of the classic Mickey's personality IMO.

Not knocking one version or the other–just suggesting that the reasons motivating this choice by TDO may have more to do with character and tone than animation.

Obviously Get a Horse has the superior animation because the Mickey shorts are made for TV. MMRR will not be made for TV; I'm assuming the animation will be higher-quality, as the budget for an E-Ticket ride will be high. Would be disappointed if this turns out not to be the case.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
I'm aware of the announcement. & I've seen Get a Horse, and think most people have! Like I said earlier, "based on" does not = "an exact duplicate, right down to the animation process." I think there are more ways than one for contemporary and classic to meet, and would argue that the tone and characterization of the new Mickey shorts are superior to Get a Horse (you can only flesh out your characters so much in a cinematic short, as opposed to an ongoing series of shorts) or at the very least...more daring. Get a Horse is obviously inspired by classic Mickey shorts, but feels tame in comparison to Disney Channel Mickey, who is allowed to make mistakes, get angry, and otherwise react in ways that the "wholesome" Mickey can't. He's a fun character to watch in an entirely different way, and this feels much more reminiscent of the classic Mickey's personality IMO.

Not knocking one version or the other–just suggesting that the reasons motivating this choice by TDO may have more to do with character and tone than animation.

Obviously Get a Horse has the superior animation because the Mickey shorts are made for TV. MMRR will not be made for TV; I'm assuming the animation will be higher-quality, as the budget for an E-Ticket ride will be high. Would be disappointed if this turns out not to be the case.

I was specifically calling out the art direction (animation/visuals). I don't mind the characterizations or plot points as long as it fits the attraction. That part I'm actually confident WDI will get right. I just don't like the art style used in the shorts. It will be in this style though based on the announcement saying that this was the source material plus all concept art and promo materials outside the Chinese Theater use the art style seen in the shorts.

Amidala

I was specifically calling out the art direction (animation/visuals). I don't mind the characterizations or plot points as long as it fits the attraction. That part I'm actually confident WDI will get right. I just don't like the art style used in the shorts. It will be in this style though based on the announcement saying that this was the source material plus all concept art and promo materials outside the Chinese Theater use the art style seen in the shorts.

What I meant was that it will be in the basic style of the shorts, but the quality of the animation itself will likely be higher and maybe more three-dimensional (in the shorts, it's flash animated, super simplistic characters over Mary Blair-esque backgrounds). But I get what you're saying, it's definitely hard luck for those who don't like the visuals. It's a very specific style.

Pieter

As far as the art style is concerned we need to remember that the kids today are growing up with this style with a more wild and crazy Mickey. Less corporate icon and more rascal. My 12 year old daughter loves the new style, it's modern and a throw back at the same time. So if their building a ride that's going to last another 25 years it's smart to use the art style that todays kids will know and love.

Amidala

We've debated the animation to death in this thread (understandably), but I'm still really unclear as to the actual ride technology. I think we're getting trackless ride vehicles (if I'm remembering correctly?) but the rest is a little hazy. Are we looking at screens showing the characters, surrounded by real set props? Will the footprint on this attraction be as big as GMR's (meaning we'll be moving through various rooms/areas) or will we just get a big gift shop to fill in the remaining space?

Also still very curious about what insiders mean by animatronic-like figures!

MagicHappens1971

We've debated the animation to death in this thread (understandably), but I'm still really unclear as to the actual ride technology. I think we're getting trackless ride vehicles (if I'm remembering correctly?) but the rest is a little hazy. Are we looking at screens showing the characters, surrounded by real set props? Will the footprint on this attraction be as big as GMR's (meaning we'll be moving through various rooms/areas) or will we just get a big gift shop to fill in the remaining space?

Yes there will be trackless ride vehicles, no the attraction will not use the full footprint of GMR. I believe it's about 75-85% of the GMR footprint. It is unclear what will occupy the rest of the space, my opinion it'd be safe to say a gift shop. It is a projection based with "animatronics" attraction.

Amidala

Yes there will be trackless ride vehicles, no the attraction will not use the full footprint of GMR. I believe it's about 75-85% of the GMR footprint. It is unclear what will occupy the rest of the space, my opinion it'd be safe to say a gift shop. It is a projection based with "animatronics" attraction.

Thanks! Appreciated.

britain

If you look at the D23 demo footage, I believe the triangular surfaces that rotate and unfold to be rectangles in the transition from forest to city are what is being referred to as 'animatronic-like'. Technically, they are an animated mechanism and (from an engineering point of view) they are probably no different from a typical, minimal-movement animatronic.

Amidala

If you look at the D23 demo footage, I believe the triangular surfaces that rotate and unfold to be rectangles in the transition from forest to city are what is being referred to as 'animatronic-like'. Technically, they are an animated mechanism and (from an engineering point of view) they are probably no different from a typical, minimal-movement animatronic.

This is helpful, thanks! I've watched that demo footage a few times already and couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on tech-wise until now.

DrewmanS

What is the primary reason that an estimated 20% of original show building will not be used by the new attraction?
Layout (simple layout instead of using every niche), physical restrictions (support columns or uneven floors), smaller sets (projection screens v physical sets), future expansion of ride if necessary, reserved space for other uses, or simply budget constraints?

I guess to ask another way, is the ride being restricted to 80% of the building or is it simply not utilizing all of the available footprint?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What is the primary reason that an estimated 20% of original show building will not be used by the new attraction?
Layout (simple layout instead of using every niche), physical restrictions (support columns or uneven floors), smaller sets (projection screens v physical sets), future expansion of ride if necessary, reserved space for other uses, or simply budget constraints?

I guess to ask another way, is the ride being restricted to 80% of the building or is it simply not utilizing all of the available footprint?
There's no structural reason.

orky8

$$$

EdC

Backstage space for Grand Avenue?

Brian Swan

Oh boy this going to be a long post...
0d45700641c4e81603fc8a43315e56b9.jpg

Do you not go outside at all? Literally everything in our pop culture of today is being inspired by nostalgia, films are being remade, television shows are being brought back from the dead. Every single aspect from clothing to toys is being drudged up to take advantage of your brand recognition. And being that it's close to 90 years since Walt created Mickey I'd say Disney has it's fair share of nostalgia to dig through. Do you remember Mickey Mouse?????

pepperidge-farm-remembers-8-pepperidge-farms-remembers.jpg

This is personal taste since art is subjective but the new shorts are extremely popular with all ages and are easy to relate and connect to.

I would question the logic of bringing a 3 day old baby and possibly her mother on board or the stability of bringing Grandma on any ride. They might end up having to take that exclusive ride on an ambulance backstage... They could even theme it to Walt's days of driving one.

volunteer-walt-disney-1919.jpg

And 100% of people who make up statistics don't show sources! (Movielover, WDWMagic, 2017)

I think by that point you are actually not moving at all?

"Hey kids, you having fun on this stationary ride yet?"
NseViZ.gif

Those are not rides...

It has been confirmed that there will be AA's.

Again subjective, but Mickey in these new shorts looks a lot closer to the original "traditional" style than he has in decades...

I would argue that this is detrimental to a child's learning and ability to processes events in life. If we do not challenge children and respect their ability to feel and understand emotions like fear and sadness then we are not preparing them for life ahead and they end up as a non productive member of society... also known as a Liberal Leftest! ;)

Also dumbing down anything in order to please you as a parent's view on what they "think" their precious little ones should be learning is helping no one but your ego.

1bG3Tem.jpg
I'm pretty sure he was just being sarcastic...

Brer Oswald

By "animatronics" I'm assuming that there are some blank slate figures, with limited motion, that somewhat resemble the shape of the characters. Most of the movement will probably be projected animation, which is probably where the 2 and a half D comes into play. It's 2D animation, but the characters are separated from the background so that they appear like they are really in front of you, like Roger Rabbit or Three Caballeros (which is a bad example because they are attached to the backdrop, but it looks like Donald and José are really there). This is all just wild speculation on my part though :)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom