Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

peter11435

Ok... I don't understand what you're trying to tell me?

When you are in Animal Kingdom, the look and theming looks exaclty like the look and theming around Indy Adventure in Disneyland. That's literally all I'm saying. I'm not saying an Indy Adventures story or the movies fits in with Animal Kingdoms park story. Just the theming of the ride and Animal Kindgom park remind me of eachother.
Some of the settings around Animal kingdom are similar to the setting of Indy. But just because they have the same setting doesn't mean Indy would fit at DAK because they have very different themes. Theme is not the same thing as setting. A great example is Main Street. It's setting is a small town at the turn of the century but that is not its theme.

Certainly the story and theme could be adapted to allow Indy to fit at DAK. But simply having a similiar setting does not automatically make it a good fit.

Cesar R M

Some of the settings around Animal kingdom are similar to the setting of Indy. But just because they have the same setting doesn't mean Indy would fit at DAK because they have very different themes. Theme is not the same thing as setting. A great example is Main Street. It's setting is a small town at the turn of the century but that is not its theme.

Certainly the story and theme could be adapted to allow Indy to fit at DAK. But simply having a similiar setting does not automatically make it a good fit.
Meanwhile.. in Pandora land...

ChewbaccaYourMum

If that's the setting then what's the theme of Main Street?

I don't know, I guess I just don't look at it like that. It all seems the same to me. I just walk around and enjoy the look/theme/setting whatever it all is the same to me. I don't see it in any other deeper way in a theme park.

And I do agree with you that Indy Adventures story does not fit in Animal Kingdom.

WildcatDen

Hello everyone, it has been quite a while, but I'm back once again. This time I'm hearing lots of rumors from multiple sources about Indiana Jones coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom. The most extreme of them include all of Dinoland USA being replaced with an Indiana Jones themed land. This would include the closing of Dinosaur to convert it into the Indiana Jones Adventure, an archeology-themed dig site to replace the Boneyard, and the demolition and eventual replacement of Chester and Hester's Dino-rama. (And before you ask, no, I have no idea what is happening to Finding Nemo- The Musical or the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.) This is purely rumor at this point, but I'm curious if anyone else has heard anything similar. Please comment if you know something, or if you're afraid to talk about it publicly, PM me here.

When I mentioned this area as a potentail re-do, this was the IP I was told was being looked at. Since I heard no more on it, I did not put the IP out there other than saying, "It made sense". Still, Serpico has been quiet going on 5 weeks now so I have no more to add. I will say that Serpico seemed excited for the area and thought it could complete 2021/2022 time frame. . .

CinematicFusion

An adventure land concept in Animal Kingdom makes since. I could see a new type of Indiana Jones ride or a Mystic Manor type ride.
Both would fit thematically in AK... or could fit.

However.... I can't for the life of me find a reason to get rid of Dinosaurs in AK. Kids love Dinosaurs.
AK was always about the animals from the past, present and fantasy. It should stay that way.

Now if you are exploring the jungles of Animal Kingdom and happen to run into Mystic Manor or an Indiana Jones adventure... I'm down with it! Not down with getting rid of the Dinosaurs though.

ChewbaccaYourMum

Turn of the century optimism with patriotism and invention as key drivers.

See, this is the difference between us, I guess. I don't look at things in Disney this way. To me the theme is just what everything looks like, the design, the vibe. I never think that specifically when I'm walking around Disney. I guess I don't understand the true meaning of theme haha.

Elias

Hello everyone, it has been quite a while, but I'm back once again. This time I'm hearing lots of rumors from multiple sources about Indiana Jones coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom. The most extreme of them include all of Dinoland USA being replaced with an Indiana Jones themed land. This would include the closing of Dinosaur to convert it into the Indiana Jones Adventure, an archeology-themed dig site to replace the Boneyard, and the demolition and eventual replacement of Chester and Hester's Dino-rama. (And before you ask, no, I have no idea what is happening to Finding Nemo- The Musical or the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular.) This is purely rumor at this point, but I'm curious if anyone else has heard anything similar. Please comment if you know something, or if you're afraid to talk about it publicly, PM me here.
This would be fantastic!

Elias

Brad Bishop

I think, ultimately, those of us (I'm one of them) who thinks that theming, with regards to lands and what belong in each land, is important need to give up on that notion.

It's pretty clear that, going forward, the idea is IP+attraction/land+merchandise = $$$$ and management really has no concern for where they plop the IP+attraction/land other than replacing something that they didn't keep up-to-date before. This isn't new. Tomorrowland is a great example of where this all started. Most of the attractions in tomorrowland don't belong there (Stitch, Buzz, Monsters).

I could also see the animals at Animal Kingdom going away over time and management just replacing those areas with more themed IPs because: synergy! Animals cost money. There's no IP relation with an elephant and elephant plush sales aren't going to amount to much. I don't think that this will happen in the next year or two but more like 10-20 years out. The animals will die off and replacing them will cost money as will the daily care of them and someone will figure out that they can get a bonus by donating the animals to zoos (tax deduction!) + replacing the area with IP+attraction/land and selling a bunch of merchandise.

No one is going to miss a dead animal nor it not being replaced. It won't affect ticket sales. IPs+attractions/merch will.

Six Flags sort of did the same thing, to a lesser degree. They originally started out pretty well themed with different areas of the park having different architecture and different costumes and shows. Over the decades they gave up on that and just built thrill rides. The only remnants are left-over buildings, maybe a sign, and some words on a free map.

I expect Disney will keep with the theming but it won't be organized and will be just along the notion of, "Where can we fit this IP+attraction/land??"

peter11435

See, this is the difference between us, I guess. I don't look at things in Disney this way. To me the theme is just what everything looks like, the design, the vibe. I never think that specifically when I'm walking around Disney. I guess I don't understand the true meaning of theme haha.
I think most people would say the same thing and that's fine. They may not realize exactly why everything works so well together. But you may start to see when things become out of place. It's important to have continuity among the details even if they largely go unnoticed.

Most people never pick up on on the World War II theme on sunset blvd either.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think most people would say the same thing and that's fine. They may not realize exactly why everything works so well together. But you may start to see when things become out of place. It's important to have continuity among the details even if they largely go unnoticed.

Most people never pick up on on the World War II theme on sunset blvd either.

Wait... There's a WWII theme to Sunset Blvd? I thought Rosie's and all the other late 1930's/early 1940's references were all just a coincidence... :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom