Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Phicinfan

I think most people would say the same thing and that's fine. They may not realize exactly why everything works so well together. But you may start to see when things become out of place. It's important to have continuity among the details even if they largely go unnoticed.

Most people never pick up on on the World War II theme on sunset blvd either.
I get your point, and I don't disagree.

However, I do think Indy could work. The point being to focus on the archaeology and not on the "adventure", what if the point of the story was to base his work as dedicated to preserve these key archaeology sites and not destroy them just to take one antiquity after another, and preserve the nature of those important sites? Would that not fit the overall theme of DAK? I feel it would, it would also then give you the back drop for the revamp of the ride(that being Indy taking things from poachers and putting them back where they belong) and allow for an area to let kids dig for ....items. It really could all fit, if done well.

The key seems be some here feel Indy means only explosions. That isn't or at least does not have to be the case.

peter11435

However, I do think Indy could work. The point being to focus on the archaeology and not on the "adventure", what if the point of the story was to base his work as dedicated to preserve these key archaeology sites and not destroy them just to take one antiquity after another, and preserve the nature of those important sites? Would that not fit the overall theme of DAK? I feel it would, it would also then give you the back drop for the revamp of the ride(that being Indy taking things from poachers and putting them back where they belong) and allow for an area to let kids dig for ....items. It really could all fit, if done well.

The key seems be some here feel Indy means only explosions. That isn't or at least does not have to be the case.
As you point out the story would have to be adapted to fit but it could be done.

Archeology would not be the key though. Archeology is the study of human history through artifacts, that's really not what the park is about.

But like I said the story could by adapted to make it work.

mousekedoc

Premium Member
This is a question. (Maybe I give WDI more credit than they deserve)
Could WDW as a whole be evolving?
If you step away from the map, could each park be a land?
Animal kingdom=Adventureland
EPCOT=Tomorrowland
Hollywood Studios=(Can't be) Liberty Square
MagicKingdom=Fantasyland
DisnetSprings=Mainstreet
This would allow for wholesale changes to each park, as long as that change fits into the new land (park).
Any thoughts from everyone more in the know and smarter?

BenJacobs

Aesthetically, Indy does fit in Animal Kingdom, a temple or pyramid overrun by plant life looks fine, but the theme isn't right for Animal Kingdom, and the theme is what counts the most.

Also, may I remind everyone that this is purely rumour, at this point at least - it only seems like it is definitely happening because this thread has grown a lot, and there has been an article by whatever thing it was, and then a video by DSNY Newscast about this thread and the article.

FrankLapidus

An Indiana Jones attraction as part of a South American-themed land could work; I'm sure that's already been suggested plenty of times since I last looked at this thread and so I'm saying nothing new.

Otherwise I just don't see how a full-fledged Indy-themed land could fit the themes of DAK. I love the films and the character enough that I wouldn't complain if it did happen, I just think there's another park that is a far more obvious fit with IJ and that's where I've always expected the IP to land if/when Disney ever wanted to expand its presence at WDW.

rle4lunch

avatar space lasers are okay tho. ;)

Kamikaze

Also, may I remind everyone that this is purely rumour, at this point at least - it only seems like it is definitely happening because this thread has grown a lot, and there has been an article by whatever thing it was, and then a video by DSNY Newscast about this thread and the article.

And may I remind you that @TheVisionarySoul who created the thread is also the person who broke the news about the TCM contract being ended on GMR a year ago. He does know things. That doesn't mean he can't be wrong, but its certainly a more informed 'rumor' than if some random UFC fan posted it.

Brad Bishop

Aesthetically, Indy does fit in Animal Kingdom, a temple or pyramid overrun by plant life looks fine, but the theme isn't right for Animal Kingdom, and the theme is what counts the most.

I'd say that it "fits" because of two things:
1) Jungle-look
2) The ride has already been built

Comparing it to Dinorama - both of those things seem like a better alternative than the whole Dinorama layout / backstory.

ChewbaccaYourMum

I think most people would say the same thing and that's fine. They may not realize exactly why everything works so well together. But you may start to see when things become out of place. It's important to have continuity among the details even if they largely go unnoticed.

Most people never pick up on on the World War II theme on sunset blvd either.

Yeah, I agree.

This is where I think Disney went kind of wrong with making three other parks that have specific themes. Epcot not so much, it is broader, but when you have places like Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.

Hollywood Studios, at first, they threw in movie studio related rides and shows. They moved away from that and now throw movie related rides in there. More specifically, themed lands tied to one specific movie. Which doesn't really fit the Studios name anymore imo which is why I think they should change the name of that park, but whatever that's a different discussion.

With Animal Kingdom, I feel they could have made it a little more broader and maybe make it more of an extension of Adventureland alongside the animal/conservation aspect. Instead of having to put things in specific to animals and conservation, it could have had that element plus an adventure/wild element where rides like Indy would fit perfectly based on storyline AND theming.

There's no evidence against that maybe Disney's end plan is to push Animal Kingdom to be more like this in the future, and I'm actually ok with that. You can say back to that argument that stuff like that could fit into Adventureland and just put it there, but imo Animal Kingdom could use stuff like the type of rides that fit into Adventureland. Have the animal and conservation side, but still be able to add in a little more broader rides that thematically fit the look of the park and add more adventure/fun rides to the park.

jt04

Yeah, I agree.

This is where I think Disney went kind of wrong with making three other parks that have specific themes. Epcot not so much, it is broader, but when you have places like Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom.

Hollywood Studios, at first, they threw in movie studio related rides and shows. They moved away from that and now throw movie related rides in there. More specifically, themed lands tied to one specific movie. Which doesn't really fit the Studios name anymore imo which is why I think they should change the name of that park, but whatever that's a different discussion.

With Animal Kingdom, I feel they could have made it a little more broader and maybe make it more of an extension of Adventureland alongside the animal/conservation aspect. Instead of having to put things in specific to animals and conservation, it could have had that element plus an adventure/wild element where rides like Indy would fit perfectly based on storyline AND theming.

There's no evidence against that maybe Disney's end plan is to push Animal Kingdom to be more like this in the future, and I'm actually ok with that. You can say back to that argument that stuff like that could fit into Adventureland and just put it there, but imo Animal Kingdom could use stuff like the type of rides that fit into Adventureland. Have the animal and conservation side, but still be able to add in a little more broader rides that thematically fit the look of the park and add more adventure/fun rides to the park.

I do think with Pandora DAK has reached "peak conservation message". Now it will begin to track more towards an "Adventureland" that has elements from the live action world. Possibly Indy, Jungle Book etc.

Meanwhile the real Adventureland at MK will add more elements from animation and be family friendlier. PC pirates, rumored Moana etc.

IMO.

dennis-in-ct

I read on the Disney and more blogspot that Disneyland Paris might build the long planned Indy land in their magic kingdom.

Typical Disney ... why build ONE when you can build TWO ... and fit it in somewhere at WDW !!
This would share the costs. So if this is true and Paris will finally be getting and Indy ride, I can totally see this happening.

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2017/08/disneys-animal-kingdom-to-get-indiana.html?m=1

ChewbaccaYourMum

I do think with Pandora DAK has reached "peak conservation message". Now it will begin to track more towards an "Adventureland" that has elements from the live action world. Possibly Indy, Jungle Book etc.

Meanwhile the real Adventureland at MK will add more elements from animation and be family friendlier. PC pirates, rumored Moana etc.

IMO.

I don't see the problem. I actually love the idea and think it'll push Animal Kingdom to be a really great park. The whole theme of animal and conservation is just talk and the idea of what Animal Kingdom stands for. Not that hard for Disney to just make a different message for the park as a whole and add adventure into it imo.

BenJacobs

I'd say that it "fits" because of two things:
1) Jungle-look
2) The ride has already been built

Comparing it to Dinorama - both of those things seem like a better alternative than the whole Dinorama layout / backstory.

I think Dino-rama fits better than Indy in Animal Kingdom - it certainly isn't aesthetically pleasing in the theme park, but the theme is better and more relevant.

Phroobar

So for DAK, they would retheme the dino coaster into the Temple of Perl and redress Dinosaur into Temple of the Forbidden Eye and add lots of bamboo?

ChewbaccaYourMum

So for DAK, they would retheme the dino coaster into the Temple of Perl and redress Dinosaur into Temple of the Forbidden Eye and add lots of bamboo?

I don’t think anyone knows exactly what would replace the primevil wirl coaster, but I heard a rumor it would be a new E-ticket ride. Don’t if that was true or not.

britain

I suspect they'd tear down the dino coaster. It's cheap and it would be easier to build Temple of Peril from scratch than to try to build around it. Most importantly, the dino coaster is a spinning coaster - which won't work with a mine cart.

tissandtully

Great post and I have been hearing stuff like this for over a decade now.
Animals are living creatures and require specialized and pricey care.
And DAK was built in a different era. Now, it really is all about whatever IP gets Bob in the mood. That is what it is all about. ... And I will go to the ends of the earth yelling that Thor and Spidey and Rey and Chewie don't get me all hot and bothered.
But what about Thor on a Lion????

njDizFan

I don't see the problem. I actually love the idea and think it'll push Animal Kingdom to be a really great park. The whole theme of animal and conservation is just talk and the idea of what Animal Kingdom stands for. Not that hard for Disney to just make a different message for the park as a whole and add adventure into it imo.
Most people don't get it. Themed entertainment is rarely appreciated as the art form that it is. But you will get it when things go awry. Making up backstories to bring franchises into a setting does not make it a cohesive theme. There are lots of movies set in the jungle/wilderness but without the underlying motif of the park it would feel out of place even if you don't think or care about "theme". Anna and Elsa in their country home in South America may look right but certainly feel weird. Heck if all you need is feel or setting you could have anything from the Jungle book to Apocalypse Now.

Phroobar

Most people don't get it. Themed entertainment is rarely appreciated as the art form that it is. But you will get it when things go awry. Making up backstories to bring franchises into a setting does not make it a cohesive theme. There are lots of movies set in the jungle/wilderness but without the underlying motif of the park it would feel out of place even if you don't think or care about "theme". Anna and Elsa in their country home in South America may look right but certainly feel weird. Heck if all you need is feel or setting you could have anything from the Jungle book to Apocalypse Now.
Apocalypse Now: the Ride!

bstiles

Maybe Disney can rebrand their parks mission statement to read "come to Disney world where you can ride the movies"....oh wait there are parks down the road with that catch phrase.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom