Muppets Mini-Land / Muppets Courtyard Additions & Refurbishments

FoozieBear

Is Muppets on life support? I enjoyed them over at the MK and the lab over at EPCOT. Plus I like the brink work that gives it a clean look at DHS. It will be interesting in the next few years.

Gosh I hope not, but I'm a little worried to be honest. Disney doesn't seem to understand what the heck to do with The Muppets so I have no idea what crazy thing they'll do next.

HauntedMansionFLA

Gosh I hope not, but I'm a little worried to be honest. Disney doesn't seem to understand what the heck to do with The Muppets so I have no idea what crazy thing they'll do next.
I know. I wish they had someone in charge of them to had a clear focus. I hope what's left of the Streets of America ties in nicely with the Muppets Courtyard. It's a cool area. We enjoyed walking down there and you could hear Kermit singing a song.

Princess Leia

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40641830

"The first issue was that they felt I had been 'disrespectful' in being outspoken on character issues with the small group of top creative people during the ABC series.

"I have been outspoken about what's best for The Muppets since The Muppets came to Disney [2004], but the fact is I have respect for everyone who was involved in the creation of that series for their own particular contributions.

"At the same time, I also have insight into their limitations with respect to how well they know The Muppets."

He said one instance was over an episode in which Kermit lied to his nephew, Robin, about his break-up with Miss Piggy.

"I don't think Kermit would lie to him... Kermit is too compassionate to lie to him to spare his feelings.

"I thought I was aiding to keep it on track, and I think a big reason why the show was cancelled was because that didn't happen. I am not saying my notes would have saved it, but I think had they listened more to all of the performers, it would have made a really big difference."

YES!!! Honestly, if this is true, and if Disney had only just listened to him and the other muppeteers, the show would have been so much better.

Kman101

I really do get what they were trying to do with the new TV series but it was too far off for a lot of people. They got better towards the last few episodes but it wasn't what people wanted. The audience could have been there, it premiered well. I thought it was hilarious at times and liked some aspects of it but people seemed to take it too seriously and seemed to rebel against the idea of Piggy and Kermit breaking up.

I'm glad he spoke out then but clearly the suits didn't care for that ... clearly you have to fall in line at Disney/ABC

Goofyernmost

That's something I'm torn on. The current show is starting to feel dated to me, but I know that anything that replaces it won't measure up to the original.
It's not really dated, it's just that many of us have seen it so many times that it is getting boring to us. However, as a real classic, Jim Henson, creation, it will never, ever happen again. We need to keep some of our good memories and pass them along to the generations that follow.

PizzaPlanet

The Henson siblings have each released statements against Steve Whitmire. This is all getting really messy.

Brian's statement: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...s-replaced-character-could-use-change-1022041

Lisa's statement is included in the Times article
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/17/arts/television/kermit-the-frog-disney-firing.html
Brian Henson feels guilty for not replacing Whitmire before they sold the Muppets to Disney. Who would've known this had been going on behind the scenes for years?

Rodan75

The fact that Disney offered Whitmire a 'graceful' exit with a Disney Legends award is pretty remarkable actually, allowing him to be honored for his work. (which I understand is just a fancy award that means nothing in the real world)

And then that he turned that down and decided to attack, when he knew he wasn't beloved by the Henson Family or Disney kinda speaks volumes about his behavior. I think he really over-estimated his position and his bargaining power in this situation. It isn't as if Disney and the Henson Family have been on excellent terms since the sale, so for them to come out and speak to this is actually a little surprising and gives more weight to Disney's side of the story. (Folks do seem to be assuming Brian Henson will get something out of this whole situation)

I do wonder if this is why the show wasn't renewed. It wasn't doing great numbers, but it was on the more successful side of the bubble and the last run of episodes seemed to be getting positive critical response.

Princess Leia

I think it could work if they don't make the show times too early.
If Disney wanted to keep people entertained in the queue to get into SW:GE, then sure. However, lines move. Between the swarm of people in line, and the people just wanting to watch the Muppet show, there's no good way to control the flow of traffic.

It'd be nice to have it for a year or two before SW:GE, but I'm not sure if Disney wants to put the resources into more oversized Muppets.

WDWbuff2001

Original Poster
If Disney wanted to keep people entertained in the queue to get into SW:GE, then sure. However, lines move. Between the swarm of people in line, and the people just wanting to watch the Muppet show, there's no good way to control the flow of traffic.

It'd be nice to have it for a year or two before SW:GE, but I'm not sure if Disney wants to put the resources into more oversized Muppets.
Maybe if the show is under ten minutes or so

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom