News Disney Not Renewing Great Movie Ride Sponsorship Deal with TCM ; Attraction to Close

Mike S

That was the best part of the ride... You really did feel like you were a part of the movies, man I am really going to miss this one more than UOE but that one stings as well. Child TJ is dying a little inside.
I sympathize with people missing the ride. At the same time though I couldn't have asked for a better new tenant of the Chinese Theater than Mickey Mouse.

PizzaPlanet

Of course it would.

It would have cost too much.
But wouldn't it have been cheaper than the gut and replace we are getting now? I guess they just wanted to build a "brand new" attraction as cheaply as possible. I know we've said this over and over, but imagine how much stronger the park's lineup would be if Mickey had been a new build along with a redone GMR.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I sympathize with people missing the ride. At the same time though I couldn't have asked for a better new tenant of the Chinese Theater than Mickey Mouse.
I do think this replacement will be well done, I just question the reason (outside of $) of replacing GMR rather than adding this new ride to an expansion pad on sunset.

disneygeek90

I have to say this closure has hit me a little harder than I had thought. Went on it with my family Saturday for the last time. I almost went late last night but decided against it. I’ve gone on it many times over the past few months which I’m thankful for. There was always something truly unique about this ride that I thoroughly enjoyed. Watching the video of everyone on the last ride was moderately heartbreaking. RIP Great Movie Ride, you will be missed and not forgotten.

Buried20KLeague

I really... REALLY have a problem with the animation style they're going to use.

And no doubt the frentic pace the whole thing will have to appeal to those that can't focus for more than 3 seconds.

I absolutely DO NOT get the use of this animation style.

The no-brainer move here would have been to do a "Mickey through the years" attraction. Slam dunk. In the PERFECT location even. It would have been timeless. It wouldn't have aged.

Instead, we're going to get a trendy, hip, likely mostly screen based attraction that won't have that kind of staying power.

Mike S

I really... REALLY have a problem with the animation style they're going to use.

And no doubt the frentic pace the whole thing will have to appeal to those that can't focus for more than 3 seconds.

I absolutely DO NOT get the use of this animation style.

The no-brainer move here would have been to do a "Mickey through the years" attraction. Slam dunk. In the PERFECT location even. It would have been timeless. It wouldn't have aged.

Instead, we're going to get a trendy, hip, likely mostly screen based attraction that won't have that kind of staying power.
The use is because it's insanely popular and millions upon millions love it. You people really write it off way too much just because it's different than older shorts.

KBLovedDisney

Photos from this morning

mickey-minnie-runaway-railway-08142017-2.jpg

mickey-minnie-runaway-railway-08142017-3.jpg

mickey-minnie-runaway-railway-08142017-4.jpg

mickey-minnie-runaway-railway-08142017-5.jpg
mickey-minnie-runaway-railway-08142017-1.jpg
J5ao9.gif

kpilcher

The use is because it's insanely popular and millions upon millions love it. You people really write it off way too much just because it's different than older shorts.
I'm sure the ride will be fun. It may even be worthy of the venue. The animation style and character design is still busy and ugly, IMHO. It feels like a Flash-animated "Ren & Stimpy" (or -- considering the creator, "Dexter's Laboratory.") with an even thicker black color outline. And I say that while genuinely liking quite a lot of the writing, humor, and tone of the scripts. If they had taken a more "Get a Horse" approach, I'd probably have applauded. (still would have preferred a new build... but...)

Mike S

I'm sure the ride will be fun. It may even be worthy of the venue. The animation style and character design is still busy and ugly, IMHO. It feels like a Flash-animated "Ren & Stimpy" (or -- considering the creator, "Dexter's Laboratory.") with an even thicker black color outline. And I say that while genuinely liking quite a lot of the writing, humor, and tone of the scripts. If they had taken a more "Get a Horse" approach, I'd probably have applauded. (still would have preferred a new build... but...)
Dexter's Lab?!?!?!?! No wonder they're so good!!!

Buried20KLeague

It's popular RIGHT NOW.

There's no way to know if it will have staying power, or be another of the literally DOZENS of trends on Disney's different channels that come and go.

Either way, I don't understand how it makes more sense than an attraction that's a homage to Mickey through the years. A classic, timeless, non-trendy attraction. Because this style runs the risk of looking incredibly outdated at some point.

It also doesn't make sense to me because it's not how Mickey looks EVERYWHERE else in the parks. It doesn't add up. It's like riding Stitch's Great Escape, and for 20 seconds he's red. What? Why did he look different there? Is that supposed to make sense?

I don't get it.

People say this is finally Mickey getting the attraction he's always deserved. I think the opposite. I think this is a giant middle finger to the attraction Mickey deserved.

And it may well be a fun, impressive attraction. And if it is, I'll enjoy it. It'll just never make sense to me why they're going the direction they are.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom