Mission:Space update (confirmed)

hpyhnt 1000

My only complaint is that her script is a word for word copy of Gary's, which will make you make comparisons in how they delivered it. Also, I liked the old flight director woman's voice. I think the new guy is the same narrator as on Test Track.

My thoughts as well. The new graphics and video do look very crisp, and while Torres does a better job than Sinise in the pre-show, I think I preferred Cap Com Gary for the ride itself (Torres delivery is just too wooden to me).

Overall it's an upgrade though. At least it doesn't feel or look so dated anymore.

Is it me or does it seem darker then usual?
W8QXG9k.jpg

It is. It used to (still does?) have lights along the wheel rim and inside the pods. Not sure why it's left so dark at the moment.

3758222099_65676c9bbe_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3527/3758222099_65676c9bbe_b.jpg

trainplane3

My thoughts as well. The new graphics and video do look very crisp, and while Torres does a better job than Sinise in the pre-show, I think I preferred Cap Com Gary for the ride itself (Torres delivery is just too wooden to me).

Overall it's an upgrade though. At least it doesn't feel or look so dated anymore.

It is. It used to (still does?) have lights along the wheel rim and inside the pods. Not sure why it's left so dark at the moment.

3758222099_65676c9bbe_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3527/3758222099_65676c9bbe_b.jpg
So it's not just me. Maybe because it's still in soft open right now? I'll check on Sunday.

And yes, the new person (forgot her name) seems kinda wooden. It seemed like 90% the same script from lt dan and the performance felt somewhat similar.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I've asked this before and don't believe it was answered. Can someone tell me what the CMs were doing in that control room on the right, before you are split up into groups? Not sure if that room is still there after the refurb, but they always seemed so serious looking at those control panels. Were they simply acting or actually monitoring computers related to the ride mechanics? @marni1971 ?
Yes. The side facing the queue is for show. There is a guest book on the desk too (with my name in it somewhere) and you'll see the Mission to Mars bird 'crash' on the monitors too occasionally, along with the odd VIP tour group.

The side facing away from the queue has the actual ride system monitors and displays.

P_Radden

Yes. The side facing the queue is for show. There is a guest book on the desk too (with my name in it somewhere) and you'll see the Mission to Mars bird 'crash' on the monitors too occasionally, along with the odd VIP tour group.

The side facing away from the queue has the actual ride system monitors and displays.
Thanks for the detailed answer!

trainplane3

Always wondered what they did in there. It seemed too much for just show with 2 employees "doing nothing". Makes sense it's ride monitoring.

trainplane3

Thinking...
- When you land back in Florida, why do they have a net to stop you? You literally have an entire runway to stop. I think there was some runway left. They probably did it that way to make it more exciting.
- After launch, I saw the hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico and had a feeling that would cause the "Everyone grab the sticks" moment at the end.
- The X-2 launch that passes by you is just awesome to see.
- Landing in the remnants of a hurricane...good idea.
Still, a great addition. The new eye candy is nice on orange, like the new launch tower and Mars.

worldfanatic

My only complaint is that her script is a word for word copy of Gary's
I feel the same way. They could've made at least a slight change here or there.
But all in all, I'm impressed.
After riding Mission Orange probably some 20 times, I'm looking forward to adding a ride on Mission Green for the first time ever next month.

trainplane3

Great video. I've always chickened out on this. Watching this video may be enough for me for Orange. However, I'm planning on riding Green in several weeks. I'll have a somewhat better feel for the space before deciding whether or not to ride Orange then.
I'd try orange. The extra eye candy is well worth it now. I'm not trying to hype people up, but it really does look that much better. This is coming from someone that basically "licks the pixels" in gaming. And if you don't, I feel green is in a good place now. It doesn't feel like "oh it's orange but lacking the forces aka fun". It feels like it's own ride. If only random events could happen, that'd seal the deal for M:S.

JohnD

I'd try orange. The extra eye candy is well worth it now. I'm not trying to hype people up, but it really does look that much better. This is coming from someone that basically "licks the pixels" in gaming. And if you don't, I feel green is in a good place now. It doesn't feel like "oh it's orange but lacking the forces aka fun". It feels like it's own ride. If only random events could happen, that'd seal the deal for M:S.

Thanks. Will start with Green. It's the spinning that doesn't exactly excite me. Still haven't gone on RnRC because I don't like loops either. Been on ToT and Everest. Just not M:S at all or RnRC to date. Will change soon with Mission Green.

trainplane3

Thanks. Will start with Green. It's the spinning that doesn't exactly excite me. Still haven't gone on RnRC because I don't like loops either. Been on ToT and Everest. Just not M:S at all or RnRC to date. Will change soon with Mission Green.
The spinning is only on the main parts, at least the heaviest of it. Launch, earth orbit, moon slingshot, and Mars reentry. It's only for 10-15 secs each but you will feel the forces pushing you back. Maybe, don't think of it as spinning? You can only tell you're spinning if you stop looking at the screen.

The reaction from my friends on orange went from "oh wow" to "holy $..." pretty quickly on launch and Mars reentry. And my friends did M:S before too, they never mentioned the forces till now.

DisneyDefenders

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I have been checking repeatedly and have not seen any FastPasses available for Mission Space for this Sunday, when it is scheduled to re-open. Can anyone confirm if any have been made available?

trainplane3

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I have been checking repeatedly and have not seen any FastPasses available for Mission Space for this Sunday, when it is scheduled to re-open. Can anyone confirm if any have been made available?
I have one for this Sunday. Not sure why you aren't seeing it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Gina: But there is one thing they had which you don't have yet...

Cowardly Lion: C-OURAGE!!

---

The lieutenant seemed a bit... off. First of all, his spiel is being lip-synced, is it not? The voice doesn't seem to match. Also, it looks like he is pretending to clap at the end, probably so the sound of clapping doesn't impinge on Gina's spiel. On the bright side, for all the Men's Rights Activists who were angry that Gary was replaced by Gina, you still have a White man telling you what to do!

Also: let's take the idea that this fits in with "edutainment" and flush it down the toilet: Planned near-collision flybys of satellites; An orbit that make left and right turns; Hollywood version of an asteroid field; Extend your wings in the negligible atmosphere!

Also: this does not clear up the confusion between training and simulating you're on an actual mission. It's the same script. So... did we go into hypersleep or not? Why are we training to come out of sleep? Welcome to Mars!!

Other than that, it's really nice that Green and Orange are so clearly marked and separated and each have their own FP line. It's still a great thrill ride with the centrifuge and a nice space ride for the kids despite its bad science.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom