Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If you can't say I understand but that other site that shall not be named is saying it's over the monorail fleet. I thought insiders here said this was a bunch of bull.

He is also saying the corporate lounge is now vacant. Siemens last day ocuppying the lounge was July 31st or so he says. Can anyone confirm?
I was told nothing to do with a monorail story.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The problem as I see it is Disney's share price is not being supported by the hordes of people visiting the parks or the movies about Superheroes and Space Monks.

The stock price rather is supported by the massive share repurchase program where Disney is placing up to 2/3 of free cash flow into buying shares.

When the money from Media Networks dries up. What does Disney do then??? To those that say borrowing will be easy for Disney it would be easy TODAY But when 3/5 of the companies divisions are underwater in 2-4 years borrowing will not be so easy.

To me the answer always comes back to gaming as Florida (due to Disney) is an unserved gaming market. Plus Gaming in China is a sure winner as well.

I would absolutely despise this outcome yet i also think this is the inevitable outcome of Disney's failures in new media and interactive entertainment. Because Disney is now a bit player in the Digital media market.

The interesting thing here is Disney is paralleling the corporate trajectory of Sprague Electric,

Like Disney sprague was run by genuises for much of its corporate history, Destroyed in a decade or so by unimaginative beancounters whose only skill was financial engineering who proved unable to adapt to a changing marketplace.

Yet ALL of Spragues business units and product lines survive today as independent companies or divisions of larger organizations.

I expect Disney's fate to be much the same.

shortstop

The problem as I see it is Disney's share price is not being supported by the hordes of people visiting the parks or the movies about Superheroes and Space Monks.

The stock price rather is supported by the massive share repurchase program where Disney is placing up to 2/3 of free cash flow into buying shares.

When the money from Media Networks dries up. What does Disney do then??? To those that say borrowing will be easy for Disney it would be easy TODAY But when 3/5 of the companies divisions are underwater in 2-4 years borrowing will not be so easy.

To me the answer always comes back to gaming as Florida (due to Disney) is an unserved gaming market. Plus Gaming in China is a sure winner as well.

I would absolutely despise this outcome yet i also think this is the inevitable outcome of Disney's failures in new media and interactive entertainment. Because Disney is now a bit player in the Digital media market.

The interesting thing here is Disney is paralleling the corporate trajectory of Sprague Electric,

Like Disney sprague was run by genuises for much of its corporate history, Destroyed in a decade or so by unimaginative beancounters whose only skill was financial engineering who proved unable to adapt to a changing marketplace.

Yet ALL of Spragues business units and product lines survive today as independent companies or divisions of larger organizations.

Ya know, you might save yourself a lot of time with these posts if you just published a pamphlet or something explaining your stock buyback shtick.

MerlinTheGoat

I only remember the current version, I don't really remember the pre 08 (?) refurb - but I understand people who like the older version, I've seen youtube videos. But the current version is obviously sentimental to me, it's all I know
SSE may be less than it's former 86 and 94 versions in terms of script and descent, BUT even in that current flawed state it is still among the best attractions at WDW and still warrants a proud position amongst the best theme park rides in the world. It's a dying breed, but still clearly very popular and well loved among guests.

Its potential loss would be a devastating blow to Wdw, Disney parks as a whole, and theme parks in general. There really isn't anything like it left in the world either, it's continued existence is very important. If they can find ways to respectfully plus it like in 86 and 94 then go ahead. If they can't do that or want to replace it with a thrill ride, they need to just leave it alone as is.

HMF

Disney signed a drone deal with Intel not too long ago.

It's been speculated drones may be used in Illuminations refresh/redo, and/or Epcot's general refresh/redo.

Is it possible Siemens didn't like the idea of another technology company getting the limelight in "their" park?
So Intel is the new sponsor for SSE?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Thinking that they replaced TOT with GOTG because it lacked 'desired' IP.

Much of TGMR is spent looking at the history of other companies IP.

You don't go to Disney Parks in 2017 just to spend an enormous amount of money on admission, food, beverages, and plush. You go to immerse yourselves in Approved IP. They don't just want access to your wallet while you're there. They want it 24/7, so they want guests to be Disciples of the BRAND.

When I worked at WDW in 2007, we did the new employee walkaround tour of MK and were told flat-out by the CM giving the tour that the reason Winnie the Pooh replaced Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was entirely about merchandising....there was no hiding it for them, which I thought was interesting.

jpeden

In the Parks
No

No offense, but why don't you find a stock market analysis board to discuss this? I haven't been around here very long, but it seems everything you talk about is stock buybacks. You're right - no one here wants to talk about it. I don't care what they do with their stock as long as their putting out a good product.

I get your point that the buyback limits cash flow and thus prevents investment in P&R, but give it a rest already man.

montyz81

I am working for a company that feels much the same way. This International company that I work for has clearly changed their Business model away from the Machines they used to build and focused on profit for investors. It seems everything is directed by the bean counters so we sacrifice investment to show profit. From my perspective, I can see Disney making very similar moves. Investment from scratch is no longer company tradition.

montyz81

No official word has been publically released. Being corporate and sensitive and all that it's not something I'm about to post.
I completely understand. This makes me think it was a Disney decision, which really makes me worried that SSE will not be SSE anymore. My sole purpose for going to Disney on a regular basis was less about MK, AK, DHS and much more about going to Epcot. I used to want to spend everyday all day in that park. Not so much anymore! In fact, this year's trip is to Edinburgh,UK instead of Orlando. I know I am in the minority for why I go to Disney, and nobody will miss me if I don't go, but it is sad none the less that I am much less motivated to go to the parks after hearing about all these changes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom