News Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind attraction confirmed for Epcot

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Putting aside how it fits into Epcot for a second, how will this ride fit in with the MCU? Just trying to walk through this logically...

Only tangentially. For DCA's Mission:Breakout I think I remember someone at Marvel/Disney talking about how the story of the theme park is an alternate reality/timeline.

This is common for comic books where the comics themselves have alternate realities being published at the same time and the TV series and movies have different realities/timelines.

While SHIELD the TV series is part of the MCU, other Marvel TV shows aren't.

This is unlike Star Wars where they are usually very careful to make sure all media are as much in-sync as possible.

shortstop

Putting aside how it fits into Epcot for a second, how will this ride fit in with the MCU? Just trying to walk through this logically...
  • If the plot of the attraction includes Peter Quill literally traveling to Epcot, that doesn't fit in with the current MCU. In GOTG Vol. 2, it was explicitly stated Quill hadn't returned to earth and had no intention to do so.
  • Groot's Age clues us in to the timeline. In Mission: Breakout at DCA, Groot is a baby (I think?), so the event of the attraction is set shortly after GOTG Vol. 2.
  • Once Infinity War debuts, it probably can be safely assumed that the Guardians will make their way to earth. Groot is said to be a teenager to adolescent in the film.
  • The artwork for the new Epcot attraction shows a full-grown Groot. That means that this ride will take place post-Infinity War, likely concurrent with the actual date of opening.
  • So, spoilers, all the Guardians survive Infinity War AND Florida obviously didn't get leveled.
But still, what are the Guardians doing in Epcot? Damage Control from Thanos? Showcasing new technology? Did they get lost through the wormhole thing? Will Stan Lee be in Epcot?
I think I've seen somebody say that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is separate from the Marvel Theme Park Universe. @lazyboy97o maybe?

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The 80s is really the "in" decade right now... with shows like Stranger Things, the Goldbergs, and Guardians of the Galaxy as prime examples. To me, Epcot has always been an 80s park (maybe because it was at its prime in the 80s and 90s) and the Epcot that Star Lord would have visited (and therefore the Epcot that he would have remembered) is that classic Epcot of the 80s. I still think that this ride could be really amazing if they are actually acknowledging that the characters are actually in EPCOT (as opposed to a ride that's supposed to be somewhere else that you just pretend to go to when you enter the attraction). Maybe they have found that the Universe of Energy was built as a cover-up to hide some secret space originating energy source that they need for some reason. The soundtrack to the ride could be full of those great Epcot songs (New Horizons, Tomorrow's Child, Makign memories.... or remixed versions). I dunno... I'm really optimistic about this...

rocketraccoon

Only tangentially. For DCA's Mission:Breakout I think I remember someone at Marvel/Disney talking about how the story of the theme park is an alternate reality/timeline.

This is common for comic books where the comics themselves have alternate realities being published at the same time and the TV series and movies have different realities/timelines.

While SHIELD the TV series is part of the MCU, other Marvel TV shows aren't.

This is unlike Star Wars where they are usually very careful to make sure all media are as much in-sync as possible.

Every show except Legion and soon The Gifted (X-Men film universe) is in the MCU. It's just that the movies haven't mentioned any of the shows. The ABC shows and Netflix shows don't even interact. Mayyyybe that'll change with Inhumans but I kinda doubt it.

I think I've seen somebody say that the Marvel Cinematic Universe is separate from the Marvel Theme Park Universe. @lazyboy97o maybe?

I think James Gunn himself said that at some point. Forget if it was an interview or on twitter though.

Ryan H. Serowinski

Can't wait for the Guardians attraction.

P.S-(a bit off-topic), I wish the heroes of Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Ant Man would appear at WDW(too bad Universal Orlando........... *grrrrrr* forbids them of using these three, because they're a part of the Avengers)

michmousefan

• If the plot of the attraction includes Peter Quill literally traveling to Epcot, that doesn't fit in with the current MCU. In GOTG Vol. 2, it was explicitly stated Quill hadn't returned to earth and had no intention to do so.
  • Groot's Age clues us in to the timeline. In Mission: Breakout at DCA, Groot is a baby (I think?), so the event of the attraction is set shortly after GOTG Vol. 2.
  • Once Infinity War debuts, it probably can be safely assumed that the Guardians will make their way to earth. Groot is said to be a teenager to adolescent in the film.
  • The artwork for the new Epcot attraction shows a full-grown Groot. That means that this ride will take place post-Infinity War, likely concurrent with the actual date of opening.
  • So, spoilers, all the Guardians survive Infinity War AND Florida obviously didn't get leveled.
But still, what are the Guardians doing in Epcot? Damage Control from Thanos? Showcasing new technology? Did they get lost through the wormhole thing? Will Stan Lee be in Epcot?
All good questions, but I think you might be reading a bit too much into the concept art. A tiny Baby Groot would have been difficult to see in the art... and keep in mind, conceptual art, ride layouts, etc. can change dramatically from announcement to attraction open. But to your larger question... I don't think the attraction has to tie into the MCU as a requirement. I'd rather they craft the storyline to make sense of placement in EPCOT and ties to Energy than pay their due to the MCU.

Bender123

And don't forget about Guillermo from Jimmy Kimmel!

I've always liked the aesthetic of the 80s. The cars, the music, the overly colorful designs. I'd like a non-cringey, well done 80s twist to the ride honestly.

If you like the 80's, just toss the original UoE back in with a child Peter Quill AA. That is about as "80s" as you can get while adding IP...

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Oh, I agree. The claim that it has already been found on many different planets is what gave me a chuckle. Anyway, I'll stop the derailment now.
Oh, really?

tmg-slideshow_l.jpg

I snapped this picture 20 years ago, so by now it's common knowledge. It's all over social media.

jhendrix

All good questions, but I think you might be reading a bit too much into the concept art. A tiny Baby Groot would have been difficult to see in the art... and keep in mind, conceptual art, ride layouts, etc. can change dramatically from announcement to attraction open. But to your larger question... I don't think the attraction has to tie into the MCU as a requirement. I'd rather they craft the storyline to make sense of placement in EPCOT and ties to Energy than pay their due to the MCU.

So I did some research on Marvel Wiki. It looks like Peter Quill's backstory in the comics may actually fit this attraction:

"For ten years, Quill was raised by Meredith who remained a single mother but had help from her best friend Lisa Chang and her daughter Monica. Peter soon started developing a big interest in sci-fi shows and after a visit to an amusement park where he was impressed by the wonders of space, he decided he wanted to be an astronaut when he grew up, however he was a little disappointed later when he found out the aliens on the ride weren't real."

Ginzuishou

Imagine, right now the Ellen's Energy Edventure is running, to the horror of its passengers. I rode the ride before it was Ellen, when it was Ellen, and then ten years later when it was still ELLEN!!!!!!!! I'm glad to see it go. I've had my fill. It will live on in our hearts and we can always revisit it on YouTube.

aladdin2007

Rode it today and said my goodbye, yes the ellen show needed to go (even though it was still enjoyable and funny and people seemed to enjoy it, but its been 21 years now....) but still love the dinosaurs. It had been a long time since I had been in there but was great to revisit a remaining portion of the original Epcot to some extent. The end of an era indeed, again as another one bites the dust so to speak in this park. My question is, the inside of this building (once empty especially) is huge, surely this is not going to be just for queue and preshow space? I mean were talking a massive amount of space from floor to ceiling in there... or will the new ride start and end in portions of it also?

trainplane3

Rode it today and said my goodbye, yes the ellen show needed to go (even though it was still enjoyable and funny and people seemed to enjoy it, but its been 21 years now....) but still love the dinosaurs. It had been a long time since I had been in there but was great to revisit a remaining portion of the original Epcot to some extent. The end of an era indeed, again as another one bites the dust so to speak in this park. My question is, the inside of this building (once empty especially) is huge, surely this is not going to be just for queue and preshow space? I mean were talking a massive amount of space from floor to ceiling in there... or will the new ride start and end in portions of it also?
I think @marni1971 mentioned there will be several preshows as well as load/unload in the UoE building. And I agree, I never really noticed just how incredibly massive the building was until 2 years ago. I really hope to see some a impressive preshow that takes advantage of the space, especially its height. I'm hoping to get a ride in tomorrow as a goodbye. Maybe Sunday if it isn't packed too?

chiefs11

So I did some research on Marvel Wiki. It looks like Peter Quill's backstory in the comics may actually fit this attraction:

"For ten years, Quill was raised by Meredith who remained a single mother but had help from her best friend Lisa Chang and her daughter Monica. Peter soon started developing a big interest in sci-fi shows and after a visit to an amusement park where he was impressed by the wonders of space, he decided he wanted to be an astronaut when he grew up, however he was a little disappointed later when he found out the aliens on the ride weren't real."
So if this is supposed to be a reference to WDW/Epcot...... what ride are they referring to? I can't remember anything from the early/mid 80's with aliens in it. The only space related rides I can even think of were Space Mountain, Mission to Mars, and maybe part of Horizons. Am I missing something here? Is this really supposed to refer to when he visited Epcot as a child?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So if this is supposed to be a reference to WDW/Epcot...... what ride are they referring to? I can't remember anything from the early/mid 80's with aliens in it. The only space related rides I can even think of were Space Mountain, Mission to Mars, and maybe part of Horizons. Am I missing something here? Is this really supposed to refer to when he visited Epcot as a child?
Oh no. A flaw in the perfect back story.

Buried20KLeague

Putting aside the obvious fact that this attraction has no right to be in EPCOT...

I'm equally frustrated with that as I am the fact this new attraction will be based on characters that were recently announced to only be in one more movie.

I don't know when that movie comes out (and really don't care)... But in typical Disney fashion, they're going to open a new attraction featuring characters that either will be close to done on the big screen, or maybe already will have been.

Kamikaze

I'm equally frustrated with that as I am the fact this new attraction will be based on characters that were recently announced to only be in one more movie.

I don't know when that movie comes out (and really don't care)... But in typical Disney fashion, they're going to open a new attraction featuring characters that either will be close to done on the big screen, or maybe already will have been.

What the hell are you talking about? Guardians are in:

Avengers 3
Avengers 4
GotG vol 3

at a very minimum.

James Gunn was placed in charge of Marvel Cosmic Universe (which is different but part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe) which means that the Guardians will likely cross over into some of the other Marvel Cosmic movies. They are going to be around for a very long time. Gunn is constantly talking about other Guardians related projects.

The only thing that was said is that GotG3 will close out what he saw as a trilogy. That doesn't mean they can't have more movies after that. For instance, if Adam Warlock is indeed a villain in GotG3, then he will have his own movie, and the Guardians would be in it in some form.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom