Recent promos suggest Disney restaurants are in trouble - why?

Biff215

This post makes no sense,If they are to crowded then they aren't operatibg at half full capacity
Think it was sarcasm.
Your allowed to resort hop so that makes no sense that they won't let you in ,my husband and I resort hop every time we go and we have never been denied access to any resort
Resort hopping is absolutely allowed, but when driving in, it's fairly common for security to give you a hard time. It's usually because they're trying to crack down on those trying to bypass theme park parking fees, but they can also be picky about reservation times. While they may not deny you access if you're legitimately dining there, it can be one more annoyance that makes resort dining inconvenient.

Sunset7132

Think it was sarcasm.

Resort hopping is absolutely allowed, but when driving in, it's fairly common for security to give you a hard time. It's usually because they're trying to crack down on those trying to bypass theme park parking fees, but they can also be picky about reservation times. While they may not deny you access if you're legitimately dining there, it can be one more annoyance that makes resort dining inconvenient.
Oh I get it some people try to park at the the resorts to make travel easier ? We resort half of meals and we don't use the car we use the buses.

Jon81uk

Your allowed to resort hop so that makes no sense that they won't let you in ,my husband and I resort hop every time we go and we have never been denied access to any resort

They can and will not allow access to a deluxe resort if you don't have an ADR, or if the car park is full you might need to pay for valet or park at a theme park and get a bus. If you just want lunchtime drinks they don't always allow cars in, particularly at the Boardwalk.

This is for two reasons, to stop people trying to avoid parking charges by parking at resorts instead and to ensure that there are always spaces for guests of that resort.

Biff215

Oh I get it some people try to park at the the resorts to make travel easier ? We resort half of meals and we don't use the car we use the buses.
Traveling by car to a resort is faster every time, as you don't have to wait for one or transfer. I get that resort security has a job to do, but sometimes it can feel like an interrogation.

zero creativity

We have a son with severe allergies and Disney dining is great for him and we will use it because of this. However they have priced us out of a lot of it. Next year when we go we will have a 13 and 10 year old and both will be counted as adults so with tip, some of the buffets would be close to 300.

rael ramone

One of the things that I'm still positive on down in the swamps is the Hotel Signature Restaurants. Yes, they've experienced their share of cuts as well (like the veal shank at Citricos that a server said after it was taken out that it was popular). But the meals tend to be very good. You get to experience the 'best' parts of otherwise extremely expensive hotels. I'm wondering if I do a 2018 trip (do have a 17 coming up), if it would be park free and just to relax and enjoy the 'sigs'.

But these promos (while great for those who still like them and have access to these deals) have me worried about the long term....

Wondering if they'll dumb down the food. Start closing them some days, or worse, start closing & bumping guests last minute to other eateries (sorry, Artist Point is not serving that day, but don't worry, we've moved you to Whispering Canyon Cafe - wonder what the waiter at WCC would say if you asked him or her that you want the the Smoky Portabello Soup, Cedar Plank Salmon, and piece and quiet to eat your meal...).

If I do a smaller food/relax only trip, I wonder if I should budget in refundable plane tickets. If they cancel my ADR's, I cancel my trip....

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
One of the things that I'm still positive on down in the swamps is the Hotel Signature Restaurants. Yes, they've experienced their share of cuts as well (like the veal shank at Citricos that a server said after it was taken out that it was popular). But the meals tend to be very good. You get to experience the 'best' parts of otherwise extremely expensive hotels. I'm wondering if I do a 2018 trip (do have a 17 coming up), if it would be park free and just to relax and enjoy the 'sigs'.

But these promos (while great for those who still like them and have access to these deals) have me worried about the long term....

Wondering if they'll dumb down the food. Start closing them some days, or worse, start closing & bumping guests last minute to other eateries (sorry, Artist Point is not serving that day, but don't worry, we've moved you to Whispering Canyon Cafe - wonder what the waiter at WCC would say if you asked him or her that you want the the Smoky Portabello Soup, Cedar Plank Salmon, and piece and quiet to eat your meal...).

If I do a smaller food/relax only trip, I wonder if I should budget in refundable plane tickets. If they cancel my ADR's, I cancel my trip....

Always fly refundable, The airlines treat you better.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They can and will not allow access to a deluxe resort if you don't have an ADR, or if the car park is full you might need to pay for valet or park at a theme park and get a bus. If you just want lunchtime drinks they don't always allow cars in, particularly at the Boardwalk.

This is for two reasons, to stop people trying to avoid parking charges by parking at resorts instead and to ensure that there are always spaces for guests of that resort.

I've always wondered why Disney simply did not charge for parking at the resort and validate at the restaurant/store.

Solves the problem of the people searching for 'Free' parking and does not cost the legitimate visitor anything extra and eliminates the rather unmagical interrogation. And you want it to cost MORE than regular Park parking.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
IMO, Disney brought this on themselves by allowing the annual-passholding locals to overrun the parks to the point that they became so unbearable that the traditional tourist is no longer coming to Disney as often a they once did. It is a well-known fact that the locals don't spend money like the tourist do so the only way to fix this issue is for Disney to do away with the AP and the one-day ticket passes. This will bring the crowds down to tolerable levels and the money spending tourist back to the parks.
You forgot your /sarc tag...

DisneyJoe

I believe they're set to end September 30, and Disney obviously doesn't know what the weather will be like for the next 50+ days, so this decision is clearly based on something else.

One thing worth mentioning is free dining starting during this timeframe. With most of these being two credit signature restaurants, Disney may know that DDP guests are less likely to use their plan here, so why not try to attract AP/DVC?

This is the end of their fiscal year...

Jon81uk

I've always wondered why Disney simply did not charge for parking at the resort and validate at the restaurant/store.

Solves the problem of the people searching for 'Free' parking and does not cost the legitimate visitor anything extra and eliminates the rather unmagical interrogation. And you want it to cost MORE than regular Park parking.

Yep if a magic band scan doesn't show a resort reservation then should be a $50 charge. Get a ticket at the entry barrier and either spend $50 in restaurants or pay $50 at the concierge to get a validated ticket to leave. Needs to have minimum spend to prevent people taking advantage of close by parking at the resort for a park visit and then ordering one drink to get the validation.

wdwfan4ver

That is your experience, but as I know you might go at a different time. The other thing is not all Disney Resorts are the same do the same thing during hotel hopping. I went to some WDW hotels with no problem.

The group I with went to Polynesian on August 26th over an hour for our ADR and the security had no problem it. We did that for Trader Sam's and looking around the hotel. The catch is that was over a week away from Labor Day weekend.

2 people of the group I was in had ADRS at Epcot Deluxe Hotel on Labor Day last year and Security didn't allow them in before an hour before the ADR with them arriving around an hour and 30 minutes before ADRS in the Afternoon. I wasn't with them at the time because 2 people including myself had ADRS at a different on Labor Day. I can tell you on Labor Day weekend on a Saturday was very busy in World showcase by 5 in the afternoon and I'm guessing all security at Epcot resorts looked that

The thing is those 2 went to the same Epcot resort on August 28th and August 29th over an hour before ADRS with no problem with me being there one of the two other times.

dreamfinder912

I was turned away from the Boardwalk on a random, non peak season, Tuesday night because I didn't have ADRs and they assumed a 20somthing was definitely lying about meeting a date at Big River Brewery. Never mind that I was wearing a dress and heels and a full face of "would melt in a theme park" makeup. On a separate occasion I was meeting family at ESPN to watch the Bills game, also turned away. (That one was a weekend and during food and wine). I'm dying to go to the Abracadabar but the attitude I get from security has made it so I won't even bother. I understand completely about not wanting someone with no business being there parking at the hotel, but not all restaurants or areas offer ADRs. I don't tend to make many ADRs anyway, I live here...if a restaurant is so busy I'd need reservations, I'm just gonna stay home. So getting the third degree over my "poor planning" has definitely made me look elsewhere for a nice night out.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yep if a magic band scan doesn't show a resort reservation then should be a $50 charge. Get a ticket at the entry barrier and either spend $50 in restaurants or pay $50 at the concierge to get a validated ticket to leave. Needs to have minimum spend to prevent people taking advantage of close by parking at the resort for a park visit and then ordering one drink to get the validation.

My thought was to get the ticket at the gate which would be a credit towards food/merchandise. As you say it needs to be more than the parking fee

drizgirl

My thought was to get the ticket at the gate which would be a credit towards food/merchandise. As you say it needs to be more than the parking fee
There's a lot of whining going on over the addition of a $20 single purchase requirement to park at the DTD parking structure in DL (starting next week). I think having it at least equal to the parking charge (as they are doing there) is a good start.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
There's a lot of whining going on over the addition of a $20 single purchase requirement to park at the DTD parking structure in DL (starting next week). I think having it at least equal to the parking charge (as they are doing there) is a good start.

As much as I complain about whats happening in the parks. (But we've paid at least 100 bucks for admission) I think its perfectly acceptable for Disney to say 'buy something or pay for parking' in the garages they are not free to build or maintain

drizgirl

As much as I complain about whats happening in the parks. (But we've paid at least 100 bucks for admission) I think its perfectly acceptable for Disney to say 'buy something or pay for parking' in the garages they are not free to build or maintain
But.... but.... but..... what about the locals who want to hang out with their friends? Disney NEEDS them.......

Bocabear

But sweet Jesus, they are making plenty of revenue from the retail rents and revenues...they do not NEED to charge for parking as well...it is just a free revenue stream...It was not my decision for them to level their existing parking lots and build behemoth structures...that was all worked out in the model of more people = more revenue to pay for the parking...now when they add a serarate charge for parking on top opf the expenses for everything else...and dno't think they will not try this at Disney Springs next...
It's bad for the consumer...and ultimately will be bad for the rretailer as well in the long run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom