Recent promos suggest Disney restaurants are in trouble - why?

drizgirl

But sweet Jesus, they are making plenty of revenue from the retail rents and revenues...they do not NEED to charge for parking as well...it is just a free revenue stream...It was not my decision for them to level their existing parking lots and build behemoth structures...that was all worked out in the model of more people = more revenue to pay for the parking...now when they add a serarate charge for parking on top opf the expenses for everything else...and dno't think they will not try this at Disney Springs next...
It's bad for the consumer...and ultimately will be bad for the rretailer as well in the long run.
"Plenty of revenue".....:joyfull:

aladdin2007

some of the retailers are already hurting at disney springs, this wont help matters. The tourists might be the fees but I would expect a big drop in locals, I being one of them. Unless they implement some kind of something for passholders etc.

Jon81uk

But sweet Jesus, they are making plenty of revenue from the retail rents and revenues...they do not NEED to charge for parking as well...it is just a free revenue stream...It was not my decision for them to level their existing parking lots and build behemoth structures...that was all worked out in the model of more people = more revenue to pay for the parking...now when they add a serarate charge for parking on top opf the expenses for everything else...and dno't think they will not try this at Disney Springs next...
It's bad for the consumer...and ultimately will be bad for the rretailer as well in the long run.

The reference to Downtown Disney was at DisneyLAND in California, they are charging (redeemable against purchase) to stop people saying they are going to DTD when they actually go to the parks.

There are no plans to charge at Disney Springs.

For Florida, we are mainly talking about charging for deluxe resort parking to prevent people parking there and walking to the park and avoiding the parking fee.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
You forgot your /sarc tag... ;)

rael ramone

I've always wondered why Disney simply did not charge for parking at the resort and validate at the restaurant/store.

Solves the problem of the people searching for 'Free' parking and does not cost the legitimate visitor anything extra and eliminates the rather unmagical interrogation. And you want it to cost MORE than regular Park parking.

Or how about eliminating paying for parking at the parks?....

deWild

After people eat average at best food at most table service restaurants, do you think they are willing to gamble at the higher end restaurants?

With busses to DS from the parks, you have many more choices, and prices for any budget. They also sell walking beers.

There’s open intox at Disney Springs? Hell yeah!

rael ramone

Inclusive, parking, internal buses and airport as part of the rate for an on property hotel is onle of the main perks of staying on property. Allow free parking and more people rent cars and stay off site.

In WDW's early years if I remember right all the seven seas hotels & campground was behind the 'pay wall'. If you had to go through the main gate (or side gate by the campground), a 'day guest' at a resort paid the same price as a guest that parked in general parking.

The current infrastructure of the resort is much more complicated. If a guest who's staying at the Gaylord or at one of the Bonnet Creek resorts wants to scout out a hotel to see if it is worth staying at their next visit and you try to charge them for the privilege, they may very well say 'thanks but no thanks' and keep a large portion of their vacation dollar outside the bubble... (but that goes with 'picking up pennies while dollars fly over head')... A guest that stays at a high end hotel outside the bubble is a guest you WANT to check out your hotel...

And think of the Boardwalk. Combine a resort area that has a couple of clubs, some minor attractions, eateries that refuse ADRs (one of them tied to a franchise desperate for good publicity), minimum parking AND a walkway to a couple of theme parks that charge parking, and then don't provide direct bus service to your other resorts.... You design it for spontaneous business, then refuse spontaneous guests....

I

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In WDW's early years if I remember right all the seven seas hotels & campground was behind the 'pay wall'. If you had to go through the main gate (or side gate by the campground), a 'day guest' at a resort paid the same price as a guest that parked in general parking.

The current infrastructure of the resort is much more complicated. If a guest who's staying at the Gaylord or at one of the Bonnet Creek resorts wants to scout out a hotel to see if it is worth staying at their next visit and you try to charge them for the privilege, they may very well say 'thanks but no thanks' and keep a large portion of their vacation dollar outside the bubble... (but that goes with 'picking up pennies while dollars fly over head')... A guest that stays at a high end hotel outside the bubble is a guest you WANT to check out your hotel...

And think of the Boardwalk. Combine a resort area that has a couple of clubs, some minor attractions, eateries that refuse ADRs (one of them tied to a franchise desperate for good publicity), minimum parking AND a walkway to a couple of theme parks that charge parking, and then don't provide direct bus service to your other resorts.... You design it for spontaneous business, then refuse spontaneous guests....

I

The mess at WDW is a direct result of multiple independent b/u's sharing the same space.

There are no shared goals if one bu wins another loses. The big loser is of course the guest

21stamps

some of the retailers are already hurting at disney springs, this wont help matters. The tourists might be the fees but I would expect a big drop in locals, I being one of them. Unless they implement some kind of something for passholders etc.

I don't understand the complaint if the fee is redeemable with purchase.. what's the difference?

21stamps

I

I think Disney needs to care about their resort guests, who are staying at that specific resort, before they let anyone come in and park there.

Imagine paying $500+ for a room and then not being able to find a parking spot.. probably won't return to that resort again. It's entirely possible to "check out" a resort online.. people book vacations that way every day of the year.

peter11435

Then Disney is justified with charging to park. Why crowd up the space with people who aren't spending money, making it less enjoyable for the people who are spending... this way makes sense.
I said intends. Point being not everyone intends to spend money when they visit a place like Disney springs but that doesn't mean they won't. Those businesses rely on people walking buy seeing something they didn't know they needed/wanted and being impulsive. If you charge to park without validation, sure the guests who planned to make a purchase or have a meal will still be there, but you will turn away guests who didn't plan to spend but likely would have.

21stamps

Who gets credit for the fee? P&R or Merchandising? It's Dilbert's "Battlin' Business Units" all over again!

Ha ha. Good question.

I said intends. Point being not everyone intends to spend money when they visit a place like Disney springs but that doesn't mean they won't. Those businesses rely on people walking buy seeing something they didn't know they needed/wanted and being impulsive. If you charge to park without validation, sure the guests who planned to make a purchase or have a meal will still be there, but you will turn away guests who didn't plan to spend but likely would have.

Doesn't make much sense to go to a place like that with no intention of spending money.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom