Mission:Space update (confirmed)

BlindChow

They can't get rid of Lt Dan!
Honestly, I always thought Gary Sinise was really stiff and awkward in the Mission: SPACE videos.

Not to mention the supremely unimaginative "you are riding a simulator ride themed to be a simulator ride" theme, which I'm hoping also gets changed in this overhaul...

sedati

A good look at the new wait time/massive warning list sign.

xLax6u8.jpg
They really should have gone with blue. I guess they kept green as it was already established, but it looks odd and out of place on this sign. The extensive warnings seem like overkill- will a line form just so people can each spend five minutes each reading this board? Also, it seems odd that there's far more text on the blue/green side. If I was just glancing at it I might wrongly assume that was the mission with more warnings and restrictions. Also, I agree that the line "BOTH OFFER THE SAME EXHILARATING TRAINING MISSION BUT DIFFER IN INTENSITY" is odd and confusing based on what's been officially announced about the completely different missions.

Still, while I'm sad about what it replaced, I am a big fan of this one-of-a-kind ride and look forward to seeing what's being done with it.

No Name

They really should have gone with blue. I guess they kept green as it was already established, but it looks odd and out of place on this sign. The extensive warnings seem like overkill- will a line form just so people can each spend five minutes each reading this board? Also, it seems odd that there's far more text on the blue/green side. If I was just glancing at it I might wrongly assume that was the mission with more warnings and restrictions. Also, I agree that the line "BOTH OFFER THE SAME EXHILARATING TRAINING MISSION BUT DIFFER IN INTENSITY" is odd and confusing based on what's been officially announced about the completely different missions.

Still, while I'm sad about what it replaced, I am a big fan of this one-of-a-kind ride and look forward to seeing what's being done with it.

Here's the most recent signage, and below it is the new one, for comparison.
(The perhaps-awkward ISTC logo sign is the replacement for the fastpass return time sign).

image.jpg

image.jpeg

They both suck. I'd say the new one is more aesthetically appealing, but more incorrect/confusing content-wise. I think they really would've done themselves good by redoing the layout or building a better-oriented framework.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
Regarding the signs, who cares? They are signs. No need to overthink them.

Sorry I have to firmly disagree with this. In a highly detailed and themed environment such as Disney, signage has to be thought about. Not only about what information is displayed but how it is displayed. It's the difference between losing yourself in the experience and being jolted out of it by a contemporary blue and white men's room sign in frontierland. Signs and the little details matter they are what make the difference.

zakattack99

In the Parks
No
I understand. For some people the little things matter for me they matter as well but this isn't even in the attraction so it doesn't detract for me. Ultimately if the refurb is done well I'll be content , especially since there will be two separate ride experiences. This has the potential of being a nice addition if done right.
I as well hope the ride "addition" and update are done well and add to the ride offerings at EPCOT. However even signs not inside of an attraction serve a purpose, the ISTC logo while seemingly unnecessary served as a place setter and began to tell the story well before you enter the attraction. Not trying to argue just explaining the purpose, importance, and nessesity of every detail even the ones we overlook. Honestly WDI did their job right if we overlook them, it shows they fit the space and we are so involved that we expect them to be there.

ToTBellHop

Here are the goods:

You’re Go for Launch!
Dodge meteorites, slingshot around the moon or enjoy a breathtaking flight path featuring views of our home planet. Read More

Dodge meteorites, slingshot around the moon or enjoy a breathtaking flight path featuring views of our home planet.
What’s it like to be an astronaut? Find out aboard the newly relaunched Mission: SPACE!

Kick off your journey by choosing to feel the full force of an actual space launch and rocket to the Red Planet as part of the Orange Mission. Or you can opt for the brand-new—and less intense—orbit around Earth as part of the Green Mission.

Once you’ve made your choice, head to the Simulation Lab, which houses a 35-foot-tall gravity wheel like the kind NASA uses to simulate gravity in deep space, as well as a replica of a NASA Lunar Roving Vehicle (LRV). Then, pass by Training Operations, a glass bullpen where ISTC mission-control personnel are hard at work, manning their control panels.

Before you board, actress Gina Torres will brief you as you prepare for your mission aboard the X-2 Deep Space Shuttle at the International Space Training Center (ISTC). Each member of your 4-cadet crew will assume an important role: navigator, pilot, commander or engineer. During your flight, cadets will be instructed to initiate a mission-critical sequence… so be prepared!

Finally, board your capsule, lower your harness and prepare for an extraordinary mission—one that takes you to space, without ever leaving Epcot.

Remember: your crew is counting on you to ensure a successful voyage and a safe trip home!

Pick Your Level of Intensity
All space-bound cadets will have the chance to choose from 2 missions. Read More

All space-bound cadets will have the chance to choose from 2 missions. The Orange Mission offers Guests 44” and above a more intense training experience, whereas the all-new Green Mission presents less intense training and a more family-friendly adventure for Guests 40” and above.
The Orange Mission uses a centrifuge that spins and tilts to simulate the speed and G-forces of a spacecraft launch and reentry. Meanwhile, the Green Mission is a motion simulator that doesn’t spin and offers light movement.

If you’re prone to motion sickness or uncertain about which level to choose, you should opt for the less intense, but still thoroughly exhilarating Green Mission.

Does anyone know the answer to this (@marni1971 ). All they say about the Orange Mission is that the screens have been 'updated to HD for an even clearer picture." Does this mean they simply updated the screens and not the actual CGI visuals, i.e. will we just get an HD version of the same terrible CGI graphics, or have they updated the actual visuals as well for Orange Mission?

trainplane3

Does anyone know the answer to this (@marni1971 ). All they say about the Orange Mission is that the screens have been 'updated to HD for an even clearer picture." Does this mean they simply updated the screens and not the actual CGI visuals, i.e. will we just get an HD version of the same terrible CGI graphics, or have they updated the actual visuals as well for Orange Mission?
New graphics by ILM as well. I think it was in Disney's press release about it back during D23.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...s-begins-at-mission-space-in-august-at-epcot/
"The updated Orange Mission will make an even more visually stunning trip to Mars, while the all-new Green adventure will allow guests to blast off for an orbital adventure around planet Earth."
I thought someplace said ILM for both. I might be off.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Yep, in the second and third movies.

She was also a major part of my least favorite story arc in 'Angel'. I love Gina Torres, but the entire Jasmine plot was awful.
I've never heard of her. Then I Googled her and at least I know why. The fault is mine. I have never seen a single episode of any of the shows listed.

Lieutenant Dan, I knew.

Gina Torres (born April 25, 1969)[1] is an American television and movie actress. She has appeared in many television series, including Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (as Nebula), Xena: Warrior Princess (as Cleopatra), the short-lived Cleopatra 2525, Alias (as Anna Espinosa), Firefly (as Zoe Washburne), Angel (as Jasmine), 24 (as Julia Miliken), Suits (as Jessica Pearson), The Shield (as Sadie Kavanaugh), and Westworld (as Lauren).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom