Rumor Siemens is going to end their sponsorship with the parks - Spaceship Earth and IllumiNations

Haymarket2008

Operating partnerships don't work on a schedule. SSE and Illuminations can go on quite nicely with or without the corporate sponsorship. When the right corporate partner - with the right marketing budget - match up, their name will go on the signs. Otherwise, business as usual.

I know, I was just responding to @marni1971 's comment. I didn't know if it was a hint at something.

HMF

Operating partnerships don't work on a schedule. SSE and Illuminations can go on quite nicely with or without the corporate sponsorship. When the right corporate partner - with the right marketing budget - match up, their name will go on the signs. Otherwise, business as usual.
Yes, but given the history of what happens to sponsor-less Epcot attractions. I think we should be a tad concerned.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I am working for a company that feels much the same way. This International company that I work for has clearly changed their Business model away from the Machines they used to build and focused on profit for investors. It seems everything is directed by the bean counters so we sacrifice investment to show profit. From my perspective, I can see Disney making very similar moves. Investment from scratch is no longer company tradition.

Exactly, Disney as a company no longer innovates because Disney sees Wall St as their 'Customer' the guest is now seen as the 'Consumer' which if you think about it is a large gap as Customer's can take their business elsewhere while a 'Consumer' is forced to take whatever the company delivers.

Its always bad when a company starts talking about consumers instead of talking about customers

As currently configured Disney is designed to funnel all free cash to Wall St and Senior Leadership. Not invest in new products and services

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Star wars slot machines were there way before Disney purchased. It was probably low hanging fruit or a long contract that just expired. T

Long contract which expired and this happened back in 2014. I suspect it was more about Bally being unwilling to pony up what Disney was demanding in rights payments.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Actions speak louder than words. This action indicates a clear rejection by Disney of anything to do with gambling. I agree, those licensing rights are otherwise very low risk for them to make a quick profit. It's a far cry from allowing gambling on a Disney property, but gambling proponents could argue it's an indirect approval. Obviously, they don't want to go anywhere close to there, are are thus holding a bright line. The future may bring something entirely different, but their present intent is unambiguous.

The contracts were expiring and I suspect the slot machine vendors were unwilling to pay what Disney was asking. I doubt it had any philosophical reasoning behind it.

Probably the most image concious rights holder is the Tolkien family and even they have licensed 'Lord of the Rings' gambling machines.

Considering that the IP is not used in gameplay and is limited to graphics i Imagine the standard royalty per machine is small

HMF

Do you think upper management sees SSE as something to not screw with? Obviously there were plans to do the opposite (Time Racers), but it seems that this is one of the last bones they can throw to Epcot fans.
Tower of Terror will NEVER be turned into a Guardians of the Galaxy ride. NOTHING is sacred with Chapek in charge.

flynnibus

Premium Member

You mean autopilot until the end of time? :(

TongaXtine

Exactly, Disney as a company no longer innovates because Disney sees Wall St as their 'Customer' the guest is now seen as the 'Consumer' which if you think about it is a large gap as Customer's can take their business elsewhere while a 'Consumer' is forced to take whatever the company delivers.

Its always bad when a company starts talking about consumers instead of talking about customers

As currently configured Disney is designed to funnel all free cash to Wall St and Senior Leadership. Not invest in new products and services

This breaks my heart. I've been feeling that way for a while now.

sedati

I'm fine with the communications theme, but I always thought the Horizons show would have been better placed here. If they do tweak it, I'd love it if it served more as an overall mission statement. What separates man from the rest of the creatures on the planet, how we have advanced, and where we may go from here. Communication, tools, power/energy, transportation, imagination. It wouldn't have to change much to do so, but as such a focal attraction, it should be all encompassing. I also think incorporating what worked with Imagination and Horizons by having guide characters that repeat might make the experience more personal and warm. See the difference in the SInbad ride in Tokyo DisneySea. The ride was sprawling and ambitious, but left people a bit cold. The added a song that progressed with each scene and a cute sidekick (merchandising!) Something along those lines could help here- I'm not as against IP in Epcot as most others, but I don't want it in Spaceship Earth. I think this pavilion needs to stay pure, by which I also wish it would now stay free of outside corporate sponsorship and influence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom