Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looks like they have a bit of flooding on the job site. Hope that didn't affect any of the materials stockpiled in the area and cause a delay in production.

That's all part of the master plan to construct as slowly as possible and spread costs over as many quarters as possible.

When you just leave supplies and equipment out in the open for months, they rust and rot. So then you need to buy the materials and equipment all over again, which slows things down even more.

This way you save the bottom line by... going way over budget on materials and labor... wait...

Goofyernmost

That's all part of the master plan to construct as slowly as possible and spread costs over as many quarters as possible.

When you just leave supplies and equipment out in the open for months, they rust and rot. So then you need to buy the materials and equipment all over again, which slows things down even more.

This way you save the bottom line by... going way over budget on materials and labor... wait...
That is pretty much myth. You don't account for capex on a daily basis. It doesn't become an expense until it is actually opened. Cash outlay is more then likely from borrowed money, so maybe interest expense and that doesn't amount to enough to worry about and only increases the cost of the project if it lingers. Any money spent on the project is part of the asset of the attraction. If you spend $10.00 on the project, it just transfers from the cash account to the asset account. No change in financial standing at all. They cannot even use depreciation against taxes until it is operational, so there really is no incentive to purposely drag out construction time. Whatever time it isn't open will not produce any revenue to offset the expenses. Timing has more to do with planned crowd anticipation and giving one thing time to cool down before the next big draw is opened.

Goofyernmost

It really isn't. These projects receive monies on a yearly basis as and when it's needed as opposed to getting it all at once.
Martin, yes construction works that way, but, it doesn't matter until it is paid back. It isn't considered anything it is officially entered as a depreciating asset. Both capex and cash are considered assets. It is just exchanging one asset to a different asset account. The only other account affected is if it is borrowed money, then it also alters the liability side of the balance sheet which alters net worth. The higher the liability with no adjusting income that lower the net worth. A capital investment is never going to be considered an expense. Whether Disney borrows the money (which you know they do) or they take it out of their cash reserves it changes nothing as far as legal expenses are concerned. The benefit not one iota. What they lose is the longer it takes to open the longer before it becomes a cash cow. All accounting is for the benefit of tax situations. Intentionally extending opening dates just affects income by not helping it increase net worth. There is no expense, just movement of assets from one account to the other.

There might be an advantage in the form of cash not taken out of investments will earn money over extended time, but, if they are building this stuff to enhance cash income... the loss of that would probably far exceed what is gained by letting the money sit in investment.

PorterRedkey

I have no doubt you should be able to opt out of the immersive experience. I think it's great they're doing it but I personally don't always want to be bothered and many others won't either so I can't imagine forcing everyone to take part. It'll be fun to see it but no thanks LOL. But I may change my mind on it after seeing it in action. And how long do we give them for keeping up with it?
I think it will be like Streetmosphere at the parks, in the same way, the Stormtroopers interact with you now. The difference being, that in SW:GE you will be able to follow up that interaction with another interaction elsewhere. "Go meet the trader at this hut" etc...

So I think if you are approach and are not into it, you can just walk away and ignore them. Or maybe you could tell them, "Stay away you filthy nerf herder"! :)

LithiumBill

Back to the Falcon ride....

I'm hoping, that since the modules/simulators are on a turntable, and slowly rotating, that the lead up to entering the module is similar to walking through the Falcon and then entering the cockpit. Does that make sense? As each module slowly rotates, it enters into a position that sort of lines up with walking down that final hallway to the cockpit. That way the queue line would be like walking up the ramp into the ship, past the Denjark Table, and into the iconic seats.

Too wishful thinking?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Back to the Falcon ride....

I'm hoping, that since the modules/simulators are on a turntable, and slowly rotating, that the lead up to entering the module is similar to walking through the Falcon and then entering the cockpit. Does that make sense? As each module slowly rotates, it enters into a position that sort of lines up with walking down that final hallway to the cockpit. That way the queue line would be like walking up the ramp into the ship, past the Denjark Table, and into the iconic seats.

Too wishful thinking?
Not wishful at all.

The rotation should stop for load/unload. It won't be like you see the cockpit moving past the end of a corridor.

LithiumBill

Not wishful at all.

The rotation should stop for load/unload. It won't be like you see the cockpit moving past the end of a corridor.
That would be awesome. The inner geek child in me has goosebumps. If anyone ever listened to Kevin Smith describe walking onto the Falcon set, this is what I hope we all get to feel a bit.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I see DSNY is trying to directly connect the 9/26/2019 date on the some of the permits with the date Disney wants to have the land open. I think that date is reasonable based on other information, but as we have seen in the past these dates on big projects are bad indication of opening date.

I agree that the date can be a month or two ahead of or behind that date... or be meaningless. If the permit is for the rock work, e.g., it could certainly be that the rock work would certainly be done by that date, but that doesn't mean everything else is ready and future permits for restaurants and such may show a later date.

OTOH, it could be a sign of confidence that, at the least, they really do plan on getting done only a few months after Anaheim.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I agree that the date can be a month or two ahead of or behind that date... or be meaningless. If the permit is for the rock work, e.g., it could certainly be that the rock work would certainly be done by that date, but that doesn't mean everything else is ready and future permits for restaurants and such may show a later date.

OTOH, it could be a sign of confidence that, at the least, they really do plan on getting done only a few months after Anaheim.

The dates we saw on the early permits for Avatar was 10/2016, and then the later permits said 12/2018, the truth ended up somewhere in the middle.

JediMasterMatt

That would be awesome. The inner geek child in me has goosebumps. If anyone ever listened to Kevin Smith describe walking onto the Falcon set, this is what I hope we all get to feel a bit.

Considering I'm taking my niece to see the Aladdin musical tomorrow.... your wish is granted.

The whole Falcon experience is a Star Wars fan's version of Universal's Hogwarts Express... except done even more seamlessly. You will actually get the feeling of stepping through the classic ship and taking her for a spin. Even if you are not a fan, you will still be impressed by how they will make the magic happen with this.

*of course uber nerds like me can still lament the slightly larger cockpit compromised. Stupid operational capacity.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Considering I'm taking my niece to see the Aladdin musical tomorrow.... your wish is granted.

The whole Falcon experience is a Star Wars fan's version of Universal's Hogwarts Express... except done even more seamlessly. You will actually get the feeling of stepping through the classic ship and taking her for a spin. Even if you are not a fan, you will still be impressed by how they will make the magic happen with this.

*of course uber nerds like me can still lament the slightly larger cockpit compromised. Stupid operational capacity.
Don't mention the split corridor not in the movies!

jt04

The dates we saw on the early permits for Avatar was 10/2016, and then the later permits said 12/2018, the truth ended up somewhere in the middle.

The good thing for WDW is that any problems encountered on the Anaheim version can be corrected before that stage is reached in Orlando. Which will help keep the schedule on pace or even speed it up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom